Disney World in August

5minnie

We are tentatively planning a trip for 2 older adults and our daughter and son in law and 3,6,8 year old grandchildren. I know weather is variable but for those who have been in August is the rain isolated in the afternoon or an all day event. A little concerned because it is the rainiest month according to weather site I looked at. Not really concerned about heat because we are planning to rope drop and alternate indoor rides with outdoor lines. We are thinking last 2 weeks of August. TYI

amjt660

Premium Member
We did an August trip to WDW once

mtv awards 2019 GIF by MTV Movie & TV Awards

Never again

Pools felt like warm baths - not refreshing

Actually had to seek out AC based attractions for relief

Max

Upvote 0

SamandplanningUK

We've been in August a couple of times and the weather is very doable (even for us from the UK). It is SCORCHIO but regular A/C breaks in shops/restaurants etc will help out. The rain will reliable come pretty much every day for an intense but usually short thunderstorm in the afternoon and then the air will be beautifully cool and refreshing afterwards. Take a poncho!

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Bring pain meds. I chilled when I was soaking wet from the rain trying to dry off then going to ice cold AC . Ran fevers and felt down for a few days. Pack some patience in that even though it may not be raining , with lighting ,outside areas of the park do close up.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

My apologies as I'm sure I'm repeating some of what others have said, but here are my tips after our trip in late August 2021 (which we enjoyed so much, regardless of the weather, that we're going again in August 2023!):

- PONCHOS. While flimsy disposables are great for the rest of the year, during hurricane season, you run the risk that a rainy downpour will be accompanied by high winds, which can tear the flimsy ones right off of you and turn umbrellas inside out, and at the very least, won't allow you to keep your hood up. If you're bringing ponchos for rain and not just for Kali River Rapids or Splash Mountain, invest in some breathable, higher-quality ponchos with a drawstring hood (e.g., Frog Toggs or similar), that are designed to fold easily into a pouch or their own pocket.

- FOOTWEAR. Make sure everyone has a pair of waterproof hiking sandals or other waterproof footwear that can dry quickly, AND does not get slippery when wet. (Many shoes have marshmallowy rubber substitutes on the soles that do not have good traction in wet conditions.)

- CLOTHING. It's all about fabric choices. Wear moisture-wicking, lightweight clothing (like that designed for golfers, fisherman, and tennis players) that will dry quickly and won't chafe when wet. Bonus: those silky, feather-weight fabrics don't wrinkle, and pack like a dream! Bring an extra shirt for every outfit, so you can freshen up and put on a clean one for your afternoon touring.

- ELECTRONICS PROTECTION/PARK BAG. Bring something (e.g., a small lightweight, breathable backpack, like the Eddie Bauer 20L Stowaway or similar) that is small enough for you to wear under your poncho if it rains. Avoid bringing a park bag that is too big and heavy to fit under the poncho, or made of leather or vinyl: you'll be hot and sticky, and a giant lump of non-breathable material against your body is the last thing you'll want.

- CONSIDER COOLING TOWELS. Granted, I bought them for the whole family, and I was the only one who ended up using mine as intended (dampened, and worn around my neck to cool me down as the moisture evaporated). However, they also turned out to be really handy, when dry, for wiping down wet outdoor benches or ride seats after a rain (even the indoor rides will have wet seats in those conditions, because people with wet ponchos and wet clothing will be sitting there), or just blotting moisture from our own faces.

- TOURING. Plan on early mornings and late evenings to take advantage of the coolest times of day, and structure your touring so that if you are in a fully or mostly outdoor queue or show (e.g., Slinky Dog Dash, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train), you're hitting them first thing in the morning or last thing at night. The rest of the day, you'll just be passing from one air-conditioned attraction (or store, or show) to another. From mid-morning to mid-afternoon when the heat and humidity are at their peak, go back to the hotel and get a nap or enjoy some pool time -- or, if showers are causing a mass exodus of guests, pop on your ponchos and take advantage of the shorter attraction queues and the post-rain drop in temperature!

- HYDRATION. Staying hydrated is important, but I'd caution against bringing numerous, heavy bottles of water with you everywhere and toting them around in the heat. Instead, take regular refreshment/drink breaks at counter service locations, where you can always get iced water for free on request, and won't have to add several pounds to your park bag load.

Case in point: In August 2021, DH thought he could get away with a light "water-resistant" raincoat. As you can see, when we got caught in a little squall on the way back to our hotel, he ended up soaked from chest to knees, and his backpack (which couldn't fit under his coat) and suede Vans sneakers were too. (His sneakers were still wet after 24 hours: he ultimately had to run them through the dryer.) The kids and I, resplendent in well-made reusable ponchos and wearing quick-dry mesh slip-on sneakers or Tevas, stayed high and dry.
IMG_2175.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LeighM

We've been in August a couple of times and the weather is very doable (even for us from the UK). It is SCORCHIO but regular A/C breaks in shops/restaurants etc will help out. The rain will reliable come pretty much every day for an intense but usually short thunderstorm in the afternoon and then the air will be beautifully cool and refreshing afterwards. Take a poncho!

I never experienced cool and refreshing after a thunderstorm in Florida during August LOL. For me, it was always muggy and soupy afterwards :) I had to escape into overly cooled AC buildings to experience refreshing.

Upvote 0

SamandplanningUK

I never experienced cool and refreshing after a thunderstorm in Florida during August LOL. For me, it was always muggy and soupy afterwards :) I had to escape into overly cooled AC buildings to experience refreshing.

I think the reason it feels cool and refreshing afterwards for me is because the humidity feels almost stifling in the build up to the storm and drops dramatically when the storm is over. It's like you can breathe again!

Upvote 0

LeighM

I think the reason it feels cool and refreshing afterwards for me is because the humidity feels almost stifling in the build up to the storm and drops dramatically when the storm is over. It's like you can breathe again!

Maybe, because I'm from a southeastern state, I'm conditioned because it all feels hot and humid to me LOL. Sometimes, I'll walk into the rain to get slightly damp only to go back inside the AC to feel colder :)

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Going to be there 3 weeks from today…. We love going in August. As a a teacher it’s hard to get time off during the school, year and we don’t go back until after Labor Day (NJ), so the end of August is perfect for us. We plan accordingly, trying to take afternoon breaks in AC or by bringing our Disney ponchos for when it rains.
Enjoy some Epcot August 2022 pics of my kiddos!
IMG_4009.jpeg
IMG_4007.jpeg
IMG_4004.jpeg
IMG_3998.jpeg

Upvote 0

JohnD

We are tentatively planning a trip for 2 older adults and our daughter and son in law and 3,6,8 year old grandchildren. I know weather is variable but for those who have been in August is the rain isolated in the afternoon or an all day event. A little concerned because it is the rainiest month according to weather site I looked at. Not really concerned about heat because we are planning to rope drop and alternate indoor rides with outdoor lines. We are thinking last 2 weeks of August. TYI
It's summer. It's hot. And it rains. Nothing to be concerned about. Typical weather pattern is thunderstorms during the afternoon but they could come any time during the day. Bring a poncho and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

me_stitch

Premium Member
The rain comes in downpours once or maybe twice a day, usually in the afternoon. It is rare to have an all day rain in Central Florida. The exception would be hurricanes and tropical storms.
not always though, we did August trips in 2016 and 2021 and it barely rained at all, the humidity sucks but just plan accordingly.

Upvote 0

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
not always though, we did August trips in 2016 and 2021 and it barely rained at all, the humidity sucks but just plan accordingly.
The question was "is the rain isolated or an all day event". I responded to the question. Yes it does not rain every day during the rainy season, but close to 90 percent plus of those days. I lived there for 8 years and have been vacationing there for over 40 years.

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

The Not So Scary Halloween event takes place during that time. Trick or treating with the family in the parks. Can be a lot of fun. We're adults with no kids, but we have fun doing it!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Well, always an excuse to eat ice cream, lots and lots of ice cream, especially the soft serve, not that you need an excuse. On the other hand, not a good idea to imbibe the booze.
Sorry, this post just reminded me of a "It's a FACT" kind of book I read as a child. One of those facts dispelled the myth that ice cream cools you off during the summer. The volume of sugar if anything makes you feel warmer, even though the coolness of the ice cream makes you think you're cooling off.

I think about that every time I have ice cream in the summer. And then I immediately ignore it.

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

Sorry, this post just reminded me of a "It's a FACT" kind of book I read as a child. One of those facts dispelled the myth that ice cream cools you off during the summer. The volume of sugar if anything makes you feel warmer, even though the coolness of the ice cream makes you think you're cooling off.

I think about that every time I have ice cream in the summer. And then I immediately ignore it.
I always get a hot fudge sundae when I'm at Beaches and Cream. Yummy!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom