Disney World in August

5minnie

We are tentatively planning a trip for 2 older adults and our daughter and son in law and 3,6,8 year old grandchildren. I know weather is variable but for those who have been in August is the rain isolated in the afternoon or an all day event. A little concerned because it is the rainiest month according to weather site I looked at. Not really concerned about heat because we are planning to rope drop and alternate indoor rides with outdoor lines. We are thinking last 2 weeks of August. TYI

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
We are tentatively planning a trip for 2 older adults and our daughter and son in law and 3,6,8 year old grandchildren. I know weather is variable but for those who have been in August is the rain isolated in the afternoon or an all day event. A little concerned because it is the rainiest month according to weather site I looked at. Not really concerned about heat because we are planning to rope drop and alternate indoor rides with outdoor lines. We are thinking last 2 weeks of August. TYI
The rain comes in downpours once or maybe twice a day, usually in the afternoon. It is rare to have an all day rain in Central Florida. The exception would be hurricanes and tropical storms.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

We used to time our water park visits as the storms were letting loose; weld head in just as they were finishing to a very empty water park, spend a couple hours until they closed and head out for dinner after getting cleaned up.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

The humidity is the killer. You’ll feel like you’re in a sauna. Watch the forecast on the early morning tv in your resort and get some heads up of when the rains may hit. Usually if you are watching the skies you can see the approach of the storm. Usually a drenching downpour late afternoon. Head for the shops or some covering until it lets up. You’ll be lucky if you are in a dining area when it starts and finish eating when it’s over. The drainage is poor so the walkways will take time to drain out. We were lucky to have had a full day of rain only one time, during tropical storm time. Pack a spare set of shoes in case the pair you are wearing get soaked through.

Upvote 0

LeighM

The last time we went in August, the humidity was horrible and it didn't improve after the afternoon thunderstorm with torrential downpour. There was a hurricane in the Gulf so it wasn't a direct threat to WDW. The first half the trip felt lovely because of the breezes from the hurricane. But a heavy rain band hit over night into the early morning hours and it brought the bad humidity. Definitely pack clothing that can dry quickly, multiple pairs of shoes and socks, and good sandals for rain (we use Tevas).

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

The last time we went in August, the humidity was horrible and it didn't improve after the afternoon thunderstorm with torrential downpour. There was a hurricane in the Gulf so it wasn't a direct threat to WDW. The first half the trip felt lovely because of the breezes from the hurricane. But a heavy rain band hit over night into the early morning hours and it brought the bad humidity. Definitely pack clothing that can dry quickly, multiple pairs of shoes and socks, and good sandals for rain (we use Tevas).
And bring lots of breathable/wicking underwear! Sorry, but nothing worse than sweaty, wet undies that never dry either from water rides or just the elements.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Don’t discount the heat, especially for the smallest and oldest among you. It was BRUTAL last summer. Drink lots of water (push the kids to drink and get them juice if that’s the thing that keeps them drinking) and take lots of breaks in the ac and/or back at the hotel.

Upvote 0

Ghostdog

The HEAT is terrible in August, and thunderstorms on top of the heat is miserable. If you can avoid going in August…do it!!

If you can’t change your dates, afternoons at the pool and a second change of clothes is a must.

Upvote 0

jannerUK

I always do wonder how many days WDW was affected by (I mean outdoor closures of rides) due to storms last August. Might help with planning this year.

Upvote 0

jimbojones

I was there last August, every afternoon there was an intense tropical downpour. MK had flooding with some attractions having a good cm of water on the floor in the entrances (laugh floor, Buzz). Imagine standing under a waterfall for an hour, so much rain it is hard to see.

Upvote 0

Riviera Rita

I'm doing the end of August simply because I want to be there for my 60th, I wouldn't do it otherwise, I've never been there on my birthday and I am prepared for the humidity, lots of water and a small handbag sized battery operated fan. Water is an essential, I've been there when it's been in the 90s, but, okay humidity and you will see people dropping like flies because they have not taken on enough water.

Upvote 0

Riviera Rita

I was there last August, every afternoon there was an intense tropical downpour. MK had flooding with some attractions having a good cm of water on the floor in the entrances (laugh floor, Buzz). Imagine standing under a waterfall for an hour, so much rain it is hard to see.
I've seen that in May, but, the humidity is better.

Upvote 0

jimbojones

I'm doing the end of August simply because I want to be there for my 60th, I wouldn't do it otherwise, I've never been there on my birthday and I am prepared for the humidity, lots of water and a small handbag sized battery operated fan. Water is an essential, I've been there when it's been in the 90s, but, okay humidity and you will see people dropping like flies because they have not taken on enough water.
yes August is another level of heat and humidity in FL. It is not a good time for those who do not really really like hot weather and have a high tolerance for wetness. Sport sandals are a good idea too otherwise your shoes and socks will be soaked.
As others have said, August is to be avoided if possible. In the past it was not crowded due to the heat but last August was as busy as I had ever seen WDW AND it was brutally hot and humid.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
I always do wonder how many days WDW was affected by (I mean outdoor closures of rides) due to storms last August. Might help with planning this year.
TT is the only one that closes for just rain and it has to be more than a sprinkle to do so. The coasters close for thunderstorms

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom