News Disney World Earmarks 80 Acres for Affordable Housing

maxairmike

I wish I could say I'm surprised at some of the things I overheard at the meeting tonight being said to various officials. It's likely going to get approved because there's very little that major developers want that gets successfully pushed back against and I expect there to be a max of 2 "No" votes on the Board. Also, as I expected there was no representative from the District there, and the officials and developer reps I spoke to seemed to not be aware of any involvement or contribution on their part, despite two of the three entrances being on their two lane road.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I wish I could say I'm surprised at some of the things I overheard at the meeting tonight being said to various officials. It's likely going to get approved because there's very little that major developers want that gets successfully pushed back against and I expect there to be a max of 2 "No" votes on the Board. Also, as I expected there was no representative from the District there, and the officials and developer reps I spoke to seemed to not be aware of any involvement or contribution on their part, despite two of the three entrances being on their two lane road.

Are the Board members unaware of the apartment complexes currently under construction behind the Waterleigh Publix?

And another loss of water pressure today.

maxairmike

Are the Board members unaware of the apartment complexes currently under construction behind the Waterleigh Publix?

And another loss of water pressure today.

I know Nicole is, but that doesn’t matter unless you’re taking the stance that absolutely no additional housing of any type should be built at all, luxury, middle, or affordable. As for the water pressure, are you purposely ignoring the ongoing work on the water main/line(s) that they broke recently just north of the Waterleigh Publix? Because I’m 99.999999% certain if there was a loss of water pressure (there wasn’t in my neighborhood that I’m aware of), it was because of that (or other nearby construction) and not the supply being overused. I’d be more concerned that their engineering reports for the Avalon expansion projects are missing potential ground subsidence issues which seems to be the problem near the previously mentioned intersection than the water system being able to keep up with demand.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I know Nicole is, but that doesn’t matter unless you’re taking the stance that absolutely no additional housing of any type should be built at all, luxury, middle, or affordable. As for the water pressure, are you purposely ignoring the ongoing work on the water main/line(s) that they broke recently just north of the Waterleigh Publix? Because I’m 99.999999% certain if there was a loss of water pressure (there wasn’t in my neighborhood that I’m aware of), it was because of that (or other nearby construction) and not the supply being overused. I’d be more concerned that their engineering reports for the Avalon expansion projects are missing potential ground subsidence issues which seems to be the problem near the previously mentioned intersection than the water system being able to keep up with demand.

Residents in Vintage Horizons West apartments reported it yesterday. As did those in Braxton. And several said they had no water.

And yes, I'm aware as I live in Waterleigh. Notification to the residents affected by the ongoing work on that water main would be helpful. We get them when work on the new elementary school at the entrance to Phase 3 affects Lost Creek.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
The affordable housing project is scheduled to be before Orange County’s Board of County Commissioners with a plan presentation by Disney and The Michaels Organization during a meeting tomorrow afternoon.

Here's a link to the staff report.

Here's the listing in the agenda, which can be found here.
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 12.30.09 PM.png

LAKid53

Premium Member
The affordable housing project is scheduled to be before Orange County’s Board of County Commissioners with a plan presentation by Disney and The Michaels Organization during a meeting tomorrow afternoon.

View attachment 774672

I hope this meeting allows for comments from affected residents.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member

View attachment 774672
Does anyone know how big Horizons West Village I is going to be? They own the land all the way down to Flamingo Crossings don't they?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

sWANNISAX

That whole hearing was a farce. Demminga cut speaking time to 1 min a person because he wanted to move things along when rules are typically 2 minutes. He heard the number of attendees wishing to speak and asked people to consider not speaking. The two commissions that voted no had excellent questions and concerns. Bonilla exposed the crooked relation between Disney and the county and held them to the fire and Demings completely ignored the valid and extreme transportation concerns that will effect both current residents and these supposedly attainable housing residents who will increase problems due to a lack of public transportation. He should be ashamed of how he forced the vote despite resquests for a hold to get the proper info. Hattaway disneys rep basically said it's a complete proposal and he rubber stamped it along with the commissioner of the other district who basically said my district is a dumpster fire so yours should be too. Disgraceful and residents and children are going to suffer from the lack of sufficient roads and schools that will be made worse by this development.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Disney World's Affordable and Attainable Housing project approved by County Commissioners despite transportation conerns​

And on the very morning of the meeting, there were 2 traffic accidents within a short time of each other on Avalon. At the intersection at Schofield (multi car) and then further up at Porter.

But, hey, no traffic worries, right?

Oh, and the developer has an F rating from the Better Business Bureau. Several lawsuits from military families regarding the housing they built on bases, problems with black mold, etc.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That whole hearing was a farce. Demminga cut speaking time to 1 min a person because he wanted to move things along when rules are typically 2 minutes. He heard the number of attendees wishing to speak and asked people to consider not speaking. The two commissions that voted no had excellent questions and concerns. Bonilla exposed the crooked relation between Disney and the county and held them to the fire and Demings completely ignored the valid and extreme transportation concerns that will effect both current residents and these supposedly attainable housing residents who will increase problems due to a lack of public transportation. He should be ashamed of how he forced the vote despite resquests for a hold to get the proper info. Hattaway disneys rep basically said it's a complete proposal and he rubber stamped it along with the commissioner of the other district who basically said my district is a dumpster fire so yours should be too. Disgraceful and residents and children are going to suffer from the lack of sufficient roads and schools that will be made worse by this development.

Commissioner Wilson didn't even get to complete her motion to request a delay as he cut her off and immediately moved to approve the plan.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The expansion of avalon and hadtzog are both listed in the staff report and the traffic study report. And it also claims traffic will be under designed loads for the near future.

Hard to argue ‘but traffic …’ when their actual analysis, not just NIMBY comments, say otherwise

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
The expansion of avalon and hadtzog are both listed in the staff report and the traffic study report. And it also claims traffic will be under designed loads for the near future.

Hard to argue ‘but traffic …’ when their actual analysis, not just NIMBY comments, say otherwise
got a link?

LAKid53

Premium Member

You have a link to said report? Because as a resident of Waterleigh, I will disagree about the expansion of both Avalon and Hartzog. I've driven Avalon (535) all the way to Colonial and there's no room to expand the road. ESPECIALLY as it passes under 429. I've also read the reports submitted to the Commission which includes traffic studies, environmental impact, etc. To say this is merely a case of NIMBY is frankly insulting to those of us who live there.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You have a link to said report? Because as a resident of Waterleigh, I will disagree about the expansion of both Avalon and Hartzog. I've driven Avalon (535) all the way to Colonial and there's no room to expand the road. ESPECIALLY as it passes under 429. I've also read the reports submitted to the Commission which includes traffic studies, environmental impact, etc. To say this is merely a case of NIMBY is frankly insulting to those of us who live there.

From afar... you have a huge high density, planned community, planned for this area. So, to be against new development because the area is already too crowded and shouldn't have more development seems completely abnormal and detached. The area was planned for over 40 THOUSAND homes. The area isn't even developed yet to a fraction of it's intended design. I get 'you live there' - but the place isn't done building out... so new development is always coming. Buckle up.

got a link?
DCBaker linked it before

PDF - https://www.ocfl.net/Portals/0/Reso... development/2023-3-A-1-1 BCC Transmittal.pdf

"Planned and Programmed Roadway Improvements: The Work Program and Long Range Transportation Plan includes the planned widening of Avalon Road from two (2) to four (4) lanes, from US 192 to New Independence Parkway. Portions of the road have been improved and the remaining segments are planned partnership projects. Additionally, Hartzog Road has been realigned and is planned to be improved to 4-lanes as a partnership project. Finally, there are intersection improvements including a new signal at Avalon Road and Waterway Passage Drive/Hartzog Road, and an intersection control evaluation at Avalon Road and new Hartzog Road, which is also being signalized in the interim. Since these improvements are planned partnership with no committed construction date, they are reflected in the 2040 horizon year analysis."

The long range transportation plan for the area is summarized in the PDF starting at page 103.

The traffic study basically says three road segments are projected to exceed their load design just due to normal growth in the coming years, and this change would add one more segment to that.

maxairmike

It’s literally already 4 lanes under the first 429 overpass heading north and they’re currently widening it to 4 lanes at the 2nd overpass…

If you mean the Turnpike, that has a published plan already as well on the county website (I’ll maybe find it later when I actually post this after work). The space is there for narrow or divided 4 lanes all the way up to Colonial, with the possible exception of the area around Stoney Brook West Country Club and that big landscaping business. It’s so easy to see the space for widening on Google Maps for most major roads if you actually want to see it, and it’s even more obvious (IMO) when driving to notice the space.

It is a case of NIMBYism because I can guarantee you that if the road and other infrastructure concerns were fixed and running at an A LOS 24/7 with school capacity to spare, a lot would find yet more issues with the project. At the community meeting someone asked if there would be buses and when they answered no I heard several people around me say “good, we don’t want those either.” They might get backed into the corner of “home values” and “those people” as the only remaining options, but there’s a not insignificant amount of them. I was both surprised and unsurprised at the 180 in tone between the community meeting and the BCC meeting from those opposing it. Yes, some would say “okay, my concerns are taken care of, make it happen,” but I would put money on it not being a majority.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom