News Disney World Earmarks 80 Acres for Affordable Housing

Lilofan

ALL of Orlando needs better infrastructure. It should not take 45 minutes to ride 5 miles and not even to a theme park.
Raising property taxes on cash strapped homeowners to fund will ensure one term for elected ones and or stick it to the visitors and raise the tourist tax to help fund.

peter11435

I may have already missed discussion on this. But the property in question is currently part of RCID/CFTOD, what is Disneys plan to prevent its residents from becoming residents of the district. They can’t just de-annex the property like they have done in the past.

JoeCamel

I may have already missed discussion on this. But the property in question is currently part of RCID/CFTOD, what is Disneys plan to prevent its residents from becoming residents of the district. They can’t just de-annex the property like they have done in the past.
How are votes allocated per owner/resident or per parcel?

Vegas Disney Fan

ALL of Orlando needs better infrastructure. It should not take 45 minutes to ride 5 miles and not even to a theme park.
This is true in most American cities, we’ve done a horrible job of planning ahead for mass transit so we’re always trying to shoehorn in more roads/trains/subways in spaces that weren’t designed for them.

It’s encouraging to see private investment in projects like Brightline and The boring company but those aren’t comprehensive plans, the Vegas loop is a great example, it’s great we’re connecting the airport, Brightline, and all the resorts but it would be so much better to have a city wide subway rather than a bunch of Teslas connecting the tourism area underground. It’s progress but it feels like a bandaid rather than a solution.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Info on the affordable housing project on Hartzog provided by the Waterleigh HOA.

Fellow Waterleigh residents, anyone planning on attending the meeting on Monday? I'm sure after the 2 1/2 day boil water advisory AFTER a contractor cut the water main on Avalon, this meeting will be very popular. If you attend, can you provide your thoughts on the meeting in this thread? I'm not able to go to the meeting or I would.

1000006118.png

1000006117.png

1000006116.png

LAKid53

Premium Member
Search waterleigh hartzog in Facebook groups.

The drone video of the water main break....

Didn't realize traffic was THAT bad in the AM. I know with all the construction, 429 is miserable until 9 - 10AM.

Imagine putting 1400 units - none of the apartments along Avalon or outside RCID on Hartzog are that big - on a stretch of road that likely cannot be widened.

Thanks for pointing me to the FB page.

LAKid53

Premium Member
And let me just reiterate...

I am NOT opposed to affordable housing. Florida has a desperate need for more, especially in areas like Central Florida. However, putting a 1400 unit project in an area that already is experiencing traffic delays and other issues related to rapid growth, especially when no other complex has that many units, is insane. Given the right of way for 429, highly unlikely Hartzog can be widened to accommodate the increase in traffic this project will cause.

Why Disney couldn't have worked with the developer to put the project in Flamingo Crossing is beyond me. In the Horizons West master plan (my thanks to those who've posted it), the acreage proposed is undeveloped and there were no plans TO develop it. As someone asked, is the Commission going to cancel 1400 units somewhere else in Horizons West to accommodate the 1400 units in this project?

Those of you who live in Horizons West I encourage you to attend the meeting Monday. Especially for those of us who can't.

maxairmike

I am NOT opposed to affordable housing. Florida has a desperate need for more, especially in areas like Central Florida. However, putting a 1400 unit project in an area that already is experiencing traffic delays and other issues related to rapid growth, especially when no other complex has that many units, is insane. Given the right of way for 429, highly unlikely Hartzog can be widened to accommodate the increase in traffic this project will cause.

Why Disney couldn't have worked with the developer to put the project in Flamingo Crossing is beyond me. In the Horizons West master plan (my thanks to those who've posted it), the acreage proposed is undeveloped and there were no plans TO develop it. As someone asked, is the Commission going to cancel 1400 units somewhere else in Horizons West to accommodate the 1400 units in this project?

Those of you who live in Horizons West I encourage you to attend the meeting Monday. Especially for those of us who can't.

I intend on attending, but just wanted to note that if you look at the overhead view of the plan (admittedly the “concept art” equivalent for this), you’ll notice that the depicted setback of the project from Hartzog appears sufficient to widen it to four lanes. While I generally share your concerns about the project’s immediate impact I still think it needs to move forward sooner rather than later and the opportunity used to put pressure on the multiple stakeholders involved to not only provide the necessary infrastructure improvements (and funding) faster to hopefully meet the level of need, but to also look forward to how future needs can be met by necessary improvements here and elsewhere in the county beyond the current approach (i.e. adding yet another lane when it comes to roads).

Edit: I would hope that a representative from both Disney and the District will be in attendance, as I would consider them very large stakeholders in this project, because they should be hearing the concerns and thoughts of the residents impacted by not only this development, but their own as well. The District usually doesn’t hear it in their meetings with their poorly disguised cheerleaders as public speakers (one of these days I’ll remember to take time off for one, maybe), though I doubt they’d listen to whatever staffer they would send since I also doubt any of the board would dare show their face at a public meeting outside their cozy confines that they control.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I intend on attending, but just wanted to note that if you look at the overhead view of the plan (admittedly the “concept art” equivalent for this), you’ll notice that the depicted setback of the project from Hartzog appears sufficient to widen it to four lanes. While I generally share your concerns about the project’s immediate impact I still think it needs to move forward sooner rather than later and the opportunity used to put pressure on the multiple stakeholders involved to not only provide the necessary infrastructure improvements (and funding) faster to hopefully meet the level of need, but to also look forward to how future needs can be met by necessary improvements here and elsewhere in the county beyond the current approach (i.e. adding yet another lane when it comes to roads).

Edit: I would hope that a representative from both Disney and the District will be in attendance, as I would consider them very large stakeholders in this project, because they should be hearing the concerns and thoughts of the residents impacted by not only this development, but their own as well. The District usually doesn’t hear it in their meetings with their poorly disguised cheerleaders as public speakers (one of these days I’ll remember to take time off for one, maybe), though I doubt they’d listen to whatever staffer they would send since I also doubt any of the board would dare show their face at a public meeting outside their cozy confines that they control.

If your familiar with Hartzog going north after hotel row, there's infrastructure once it narrows to a two lane road that will make it difficult to widen. Plus, you'll create another traffic bottleneck just before where the road curves approaching the intersection with Avalon.

maxairmike

If your familiar with Hartzog going north after hotel row, there's infrastructure once it narrows to a two lane road that will make it difficult to widen. Plus, you'll create another traffic bottleneck just before where the road curves approaching the intersection with Avalon.
I’m very familiar with it. The existing intersection with Avalon is clearly built with Hartzog being 4 lanes in mind (no need for 2 lanes straight into Waterleigh) at least around the curve and parallel to 429 for a bit. Follow it along on Google Maps the entire way from Avalon to Western Way and you’ll see the available ROW/space for four lanes the entire way. The only barrier is the small stretch that will require a bridge right before the RIBs. They would make some slight adjustments to the ponds right before that point (likely the one closest to 429, curving the road ever so slightly to the right to fit the alignment with 4 lanes), which is minor overall.

ETA: Decided to double check the property appraiser maps to confirm the existing space for a 4-lane road, and it checks out based on parcel alignment and sizing. The section from the RIBs northward is wide enough for a 4-lane with dedicated turning lanes all the way to Avalon, while the section from the south point of the RIBs to the existing 4 lanes for the Flamingo Crossing development narrows to roughly the same width as Fleming to the county line, at least based on parcel lines, so enough for four lanes without dedicated turn lanes. The parcel lines do get a little weird around the south end of the RIBs and don't follow the road path exactly and get chopped up into multiple parcels around the bridge, so there's likely additional space beyond a narrow 4-lane road based on what I see from the 2023 aerial imagery. Since that road is still the District's responsibility from the edge of the property of the apartments on the south side of Hartzog and Avalon, I really hope they have a representative at the meeting. If they don't, I'll make sure to mention that at the meeting if the county folks don't. That should hopefully get the attention of the taxpayers that they also love to claim they're trying to do "oversight" for the benefit of to put some pressure on them to do something actually in our best interest.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

So where is this area in Central Florida that meets this criteria? The master plan was designed to create traffic problems because it gives people a rationale for opposing this type of denser development.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom