News Disney World Earmarks 80 Acres for Affordable Housing

maxairmike

This is where, as much as I typically agree with @LAKid53 and others, I have to go the opposite direction on this. I sit on Western Way every day on my commute home, and on the way in when I don’t leave early enough. I know they’re generally well behind where they should be (I love seeing timelines keep slipping back and a year getting tacked on, or just not updating them) on the roads back here to handle the previously master planned capacity (and the counties need to do everything they can to force the developers to play ball on connecting Sawgrass with Fleming, even though that brings a ton of the Avalon traffic down my route). The schools seem overwhelmed despite the expansions in students and capacity having been planned. All of the infrastructure gripes and concerns are 100% valid, and I don’t disagree with them. Where I disagree is that the entire region has pretty much nowhere that can truthfully adequately handle this kind of addition. Putting the entrance on Western Way just shifts the traffic burden a little bit, it doesn’t make it go away. There may be little pockets where the immediate, small scale impact can be absorbed, but the overall impact on the larger scale is the same, the way I see it.

This housing is needed. If we were to wait until the infrastructure is ready to handle it, it would never happen because additional projects and things that require additional capacity of the infrastructure will keep popping up. Is it gonna be painful for those of us that live around it? Yep, and that would be the case no matter where in the greater metro area it goes. There’s no good solution, there’s no good timing, and the housing stock is needed. The best we can hope for is that pointing out and voicing our concerns can get money pushed from multiple parties to try and get the needed infrastructure projects to ease the pain done faster.

Also, switching to Verizon improved my signal back here drastically. I get 5GUW in my house when I was lucky to get 1 bar of LTE with AT&T. But maybe don’t switch so you don’t crowd my service out. 😂

peter11435

That's logic 101 in other parts of the country. Homeowners have fought when they find out a Wal Mart Super center was planned to be built next to their neighborhood.
Yep.. but people in this thread have argued against the affordable housing because their target and Publix is too small. But we all know they would also fight against projects to add additional larger grocery stores.

flynnibus

Premium Member
From the SAT maps sure looks like an area that is getting a lot of new housing built out... rising traffic, congestion, an school pressure? who would have known...

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
The answer is to fight AT&T and other providers to install much needed enhanced cellular infrastructure.
The problem goes well beyond AT&T. The community infrastructure in our area is already beyond horrendous, despite our cost of living being astronomical. Ignoring the existing resident’s concerns while actively making them *worse* is tone deaf.

JoeCamel

This is where, as much as I typically agree with @LAKid53 and others, I have to go the opposite direction on this. I sit on Western Way every day on my commute home, and on the way in when I don’t leave early enough. I know they’re generally well behind where they should be (I love seeing timelines keep slipping back and a year getting tacked on, or just not updating them) on the roads back here to handle the previously master planned capacity (and the counties need to do everything they can to force the developers to play ball on connecting Sawgrass with Fleming, even though that brings a ton of the Avalon traffic down my route). The schools seem overwhelmed despite the expansions in students and capacity having been planned. All of the infrastructure gripes and concerns are 100% valid, and I don’t disagree with them. Where I disagree is that the entire region has pretty much nowhere that can truthfully adequately handle this kind of addition. Putting the entrance on Western Way just shifts the traffic burden a little bit, it doesn’t make it go away. There may be little pockets where the immediate, small scale impact can be absorbed, but the overall impact on the larger scale is the same, the way I see it.

This housing is needed. If we were to wait until the infrastructure is ready to handle it, it would never happen because additional projects and things that require additional capacity of the infrastructure will keep popping up. Is it gonna be painful for those of us that live around it? Yep, and that would be the case no matter where in the greater metro area it goes. There’s no good solution, there’s no good timing, and the housing stock is needed. The best we can hope for is that pointing out and voicing our concerns can get money pushed from multiple parties to try and get the needed infrastructure projects to ease the pain done faster.

Also, switching to Verizon improved my signal back here drastically. I get 5GUW in my house when I was lucky to get 1 bar of LTE with AT&T. But maybe don’t switch so you don’t crowd my service out. 😂
You are lucky it isn't Champions gate every day.......

DisneyFanatic12

They would fight a Publix, or Walmart, or gas station being built too close to them too.
I don’t follow it all too closely, but I know that my neighborhood was BEGGING to get another gas station. When the gas stations were finally announced, it was extremely exciting. For me, I actually want the affordable housing closer to me. I believe it would do far better near Orlando Health or the Walmart.

This will probably be my last post on this thread, because I don’t really like partaking in debates that might become “heated”, but I have no issue with it being close to me at all.

Lilofan

I don’t follow it all too closely, but I know that my neighborhood was BEGGING to get another gas station. When the gas stations were finally announced, it was extremely exciting. For me, I actually want the affordable housing closer to me. I believe it would do far better near Orlando Health or the Walmart.

This will probably be my last post on this thread, because I don’t really like partaking in debates that might become “heated”, but I have no issue with it being close to me at all.
One opinion I have not seen posted yet is a forum member that supports living in their home next to affordable housing that actually lives next to AA housing and the benefits of it.

maxairmike

You are lucky it isn't Champions gate every day.......

Lived down there for a few years and definitely don’t miss that traffic, although my commute home is slowly but consistently working its way up closer to what it was when I lived there. Still remember the morning it took me an hour to go from the light at the Omni to the I-4 east ramp, and that was almost 10 years ago!

JoeCamel

Lived down there for a few years and definitely don’t miss that traffic, although my commute home is slowly but consistently working its way up closer to what it was when I lived there. Still remember the morning it took me an hour to go from the light at the Omni to the I-4 east ramp, and that was almost 10 years ago!
I used to come from Tampa most good weather mornings and learned to get through before 5am or enjoy the free parking but going back you just bear it. They need to run 429 out through the swamp

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

My carrier is Verizon. I can't get a signal standing on the sidewalk in front of my home.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yep.. but people in this thread have argued against the affordable housing because their target and Publix is too small. But we all know they would also fight against projects to add additional larger grocery stores.

I'm so glad you know what we think. I was thrilled to discover a Publix was being built at the entrance to my neighborhood. I wish instead of a Sam's going next to the Walmart in Hamlin, a Costco would be built in the area. Be nice to have a 3rd gas station.

That Target was built for the students in the College Program apartments across the street. Target builds stores that are smaller and are specifically geared towards that clientele. While convenient for me, I can go to the Super Target in Winter Garden Village, as long as I don't mind the construction on 429 and paying a toll.

Stop telling us what we think and know, especially if you don't live in the area.

LAKid53

Premium Member

That's an excellent point. There's lots of vacant land across from the Walmart in Hamlin. Residents of an affordable housing development would have access to a gas station, 2 grocery stores, movie theatre, several retailers, fast food joints, restaurants, a car repair shop, 3 financial institutions, a park, medical & dental offices, storage facility, an Urban Air, etc., all within a 5 to 10 minute walk or short car trip.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Ok so let’s play devil’s advocate and say we approve this. How is a failing infrastructure going to support the lifestyle of individuals who are flocking in for affordable housing?! So noble to just dump low-income individuals and families into an area that cannot support them.

This is the antithesis of the E.P.C.O.T. ideology. As someone who was a cast member for many years, I know the struggle some of these individuals face. We should be building these communities in areas that are ready to support them and offer them strategic infrastructure, rather than building them and hoping the pieces fall into place later.

It’s careless from all angles.

Vegas Disney Fan

I agree it’s needed but I can’t imagine a project this size being plopped down in one neighborhood. They should spread it out to minimize the disruption.

The master planned community I live in was started about 20 years ago, it started with about 5,000 single family homes and one 300 unit apartment complex, over the years it’s grown to nearly 10,000 homes/townhomes with probably 1800 apartments (5 in the 300 range and a couple small ones), all that spread out over probably 10 square miles, 3 interstate intersections and multiple major streets… and the streets, community grocery store, Starbucks, restaurants, gas stations, etc barely manage and occasionally don’t, it’s not uncommon for me to shop at a marketplace about 5 miles away because our store shelves are often bare.

Putting a 1400 unit complex in one neighborhood is just asking for major problems. They built a 89 unit complex about a block from me and no one protested, spoke against it, or even cared… because it’s an appropriately sized complex for a single family home area with 2 lane streets.

Edited to add they are building a new Albertsons (grocery) and new businesses all along the main parkway and people are thrilled about it, we need the restaurants and stores as fast as they can build them for us.

Last edited:

peter11435

I'm so glad you know what we think. I was thrilled to discover a Publix was being built at the entrance to my neighborhood. I wish instead of a Sam's going next to the Walmart in Hamlin, a Costco would be built in the area. Be nice to have a 3rd gas station.

That Target was built for the students in the College Program apartments across the street. Target builds stores that are smaller and are specifically geared towards that clientele. While convenient for me, I can go to the Super Target in Winter Garden Village, as long as I don't mind the construction on 429 and paying a toll.

Stop telling us what we think and know, especially if you don't live in the area.
Who said I don’t live in the area?

maxairmike

That's an excellent point. There's lots of vacant land across from the Walmart in Hamlin. Residents of an affordable housing development would have access to a gas station, 2 grocery stores, movie theatre, several retailers, fast food joints, restaurants, a car repair shop, 3 financial institutions, a park, medical & dental offices, storage facility, an Urban Air, etc., all within a 5 to 10 minute walk or short car trip.

That entire vacant area is set aside for a large park and I believe a library (might be mixing the library up with another public space though), which I’m quite excited for. It is marked if you zoom in far enough on Google Maps.

EDIT: It’s both a library and YMCA in the park area.

lazyboy97o

Ok so let’s play devil’s advocate and say we approve this. How is a failing infrastructure going to support the lifestyle of individuals who are flocking in for affordable housing?! So noble to just dump low-income individuals and families into an area that cannot support them.

This is the antithesis of the E.P.C.O.T. ideology. As someone who was a cast member for many years, I know the struggle some of these individuals face. We should be building these communities in areas that are ready to support them and offer them strategic infrastructure, rather than building them and hoping the pieces fall into place later.

It’s careless from all angles.
Almost no area is ready because the infrastructure and planning has been deliberately designed to not support such projects and greater density.

I agree it’s needed but I can’t imagine a project this size being plopped down in one neighborhood. They should spread it out to minimize the disruption.
Maybe sometimes you need disruption. This type of suburban sprawl does not work nor does it scale. That was by design to keep dense and more affordable type of housing beyond just apartments out. The area will never magically become something else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom