News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Let me open this can of worms for you...

The Florida Homeowners Insurance Market!

That's more than my house payment!!!

1672602458268.png

Gringrinngghost

Oh my god.
The state was going to fix it 3 times...

The First was Don't Say Gay.

The Second was dissolving Reedy Creek.

The Third is "somewhat" fixing it.
  • If a private company offers you a rate that is within 20% of the policyholder’s premium, including surcharges and assessments cost on the state run insurance. They are then ineligible for the state run insurance called Citizens.
  • Requires Citizens residential policyholders to obtain flood insurance as a condition of having coverage from Citizens.
  • Reduces the deadline for policyholders to report a claim from 2 years to 1 year for a new or reopened claim, and from 3 years to 18 months for a supplemental claim.
  • Reduces the time for insurance companies to pay or deny a claim from 90 to 60 days. (Spoiler Alert: People haven't gotten money yet from Hurricane Michael in 2018)
  • Reduces the time for insurance companies to review and acknowledge a claim communication from 14 days to 7 days.
  • Reduces the time for an insurance company to begin an investigation of a claim from 14 days to 7 days.
  • Reduces the time for an insurance company to conduct a physical inspection from 45 days to 30 days and applies this requirement to hurricane claims.
  • Neither party can be awarded attorney fees in a property insurance claims lawsuit. Each party is responsible for payment of their own attorney fees.
TLDR on the third round, The state made it harder to sue insurance companies while not limiting rate renewals or going after any other factor.

That being said, the state accounts for more than 70% of the nations insurance lawsuits. But don't worry we also approved a 50% toll discount, beginning Jan. 1, to SunPass and other Florida transponder accounts whose drivers record 35 or more transactions in a month because why not?

Edit: Before I forget, Auto Insurance is up next!

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

• If a private company offers you a rate that is within 20% of the policyholder’s premium, including surcharges and assessments. They are then ineligible for the state run insurance called Citizens.
  • Requires Citizens residential policyholders to obtain flood insurance as a condition of having coverage from Citizens.
  • Reduces the deadline for policyholders to report a claim from 2 years to 1 year for a new or reopened claim, and from 3 years to 18 months for a supplemental claim.
  • Reduces the time for insurance companies to pay or deny a claim from 90 to 60 days. (Spoiler Alert: People haven't gotten money yet from Hurricane Michael in 2018)
  • Reduces the time for insurance companies to review and acknowledge a claim communication from 14 days to 7 days.
  • Reduces the time for an insurance company to begin an investigation of a claim from 14 days to 7 days.
  • Reduces the time for an insurance company to conduct a physical inspection from 45 days to 30 days and applies this requirement to hurricane claims.
  • Neither party can be awarded attorney fees in a property insurance claims lawsuit. Each party is responsible for payment of their own attorney fees.
TLDR on the third round, The state made it harder to sue insurance companies while not limiting rate renewals or going after any other factor.

That being said, the state accounts for more than 70% of the nations insurance lawsuits. But don't worry we also approved a 50% toll discount, beginning Jan. 1, to SunPass and other Florida transponder accounts whose drivers record 35 or more transactions in a month because why not?

They did get a bigger savings in Florida.

JoeCamel

• If a private company offers you a rate that is within 20% of the policyholder’s premium, including surcharges and assessments. They are then ineligible for the state run insurance called Citizens.

That is an absolute gift for the insurance companies. +19% a year or no insurance which is required by your lender.
That will cover all those claims people they will need to meet the time constraints. I wonder how many companies will pack up and leave?

Gringrinngghost

That is an absolute gift for the insurance companies. +19% a year or no insurance which is required by your lender.
That will cover all those claims people they will need to meet the time constraints. I wonder how many companies will pack up and leave?
Let me correct one bullet point:
If a private company offers you a rate that is within 20% of the policyholder’s premium, including surcharges and assessments cost on the state run insurance. They are then ineligible for the state run insurance called Citizens. They will also be booted off the state run insurance.

JoeCamel

Let me correct one bullet point:
If a private company offers you a rate that is within 20% of the policyholder’s premium, including surcharges and assessments cost on the state run insurance. They are then ineligible for the state run insurance called Citizens. They will also be booted off the state run insurance.

My misunderstanding and surprising since I lived there 20 years and have more than a passing relationship with Citizens.

Vegas Disney Fan

Canada just implemented a ban on home sales to foreigners that went into affect today.

Non citizens who are permanently living in Canada can still buy homes but they are trying to end foreign investment that’s driving up prices and competing with actual Canadians who are trying to buy a house.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Promotion from within is always good like at WDW with mgrs rising up the food chain.
It's extremely hard, extremely competitive, and Disney's internal policies that block genuinely good and qualified internal candidates for absurd reasons.

I know of CMs with years of experience and Ivy League degrees in the relevant field for roles they applied for who have been passed over for a recent UCF grad... because they were 7 minutes late to clock in a few times and therefor out of transfer guidelines due to "attendance issues"

Lilofan

Canada just implemented a ban on home sales to foreigners that went into affect today.

Non citizens who are permanently living in Canada can still buy homes but they are trying to end foreign investment that’s driving up prices and competing with actual Canadians who are trying to buy a house.
Can't see that happening in USA where billions of dollars of foreign investment support the economy . I visited Vancouver which was amazing. There is a substantial Chinese community with lots of foreign investment in real estate. My sibling who used to rent a condo in midtown Manhattan paid his rent to a mgt company. The owner of the condo is from China who bought more than 20 properties in NYC.

fgmnt

It's not necessarily a bad law but that does not solve the need of increasing supply. The supply is so constrained in Vancouver that the vacancy rate can't support normal turnover (units going offline between a homeowner actively trying to sell the unit or a landlord turning over a unit between tenants). Need at least 5%, ideally 10% in a given region. Deeper discussion of that is probably not a great fit in a thread about cast member negotiations for Disney employees in Orlando though. Orlando vacancy rates exceed the national average. I need to touch base with my current CM contacts and see what kind of leases they are seeing for a term starting since August of last year and ending in 2024; I imagine (or at least hope) they are not seeing the kinds of increases I am seeing in a small city in the NEC.

maxairmike

My one contribution after reading through all of this is going to be on the housing part of the picture, and probably not well-received. The current view/usage of housing as an investment vehicle and store of wealth for an individual is a big part of the problem IMO. In order to start correcting the lack of housing and the NIMBYism that demands the status quo continue, housing must be viewed as a good or consumable product instead of an actual investment and/or store of wealth. A durable, long-lasting good, of course, but ultimately not that different to a car in that it's viewed as a "consumable" product with always declining value instead of something to store wealth in.

There are challenges to this beyond just how this idea is received (how do you do this while being environmentally conscious, for example), but I really believe that this is an important part of the puzzle. When it's "just a good" instead of a big part of your retirement plan/nest egg and you don't expect to recoup anywhere close to what you paid if/when you sell, suddenly that transit stop bringing "undesirables" near you is no longer as big of a deal. Your "investment" (however much you decide to make of one) is now in the people and community around you instead of the physical structures that must retain their maximum value to the detriment of others in so many ways. This has to come with zoning and other regulatory changes as well, and that starts to address some of the affordability equation on the housing side. Maybe that's the difference between a $5 increase over 5 years being enough vs. a more immediate increase over 3 years to try and keep peoples' heads above water as costs rise. But the simple fact is that the continuing sprawl throughout Central Florida is unsustainable financially, environmentally, and structurally and does no one any favors in the end once everything is considered. There must be a change in how housing is viewed, by everyone, and a change in what is built, how it's built, and who owns it.

Of course, if wages kept pace with productivity, that would be a big difference maker as well. As production and efficiency has climbed in the modern era, those gains have gone nearly exclusively straight to the top.

Lilofan

My one contribution after reading through all of this is going to be on the housing part of the picture, and probably not well-received. The current view/usage of housing as an investment vehicle and store of wealth for an individual is a big part of the problem IMO. In order to start correcting the lack of housing and the NIMBYism that demands the status quo continue, housing must be viewed as a good or consumable product instead of an actual investment and/or store of wealth. A durable, long-lasting good, of course, but ultimately not that different to a car in that it's viewed as a "consumable" product with always declining value instead of something to store wealth in.

There are challenges to this beyond just how this idea is received (how do you do this while being environmentally conscious, for example), but I really believe that this is an important part of the puzzle. When it's "just a good" instead of a big part of your retirement plan/nest egg and you don't expect to recoup anywhere close to what you paid if/when you sell, suddenly that transit stop bringing "undesirables" near you is no longer as big of a deal. Your "investment" (however much you decide to make of one) is now in the people and community around you instead of the physical structures that must retain their maximum value to the detriment of others in so many ways. This has to come with zoning and other regulatory changes as well, and that starts to address some of the affordability equation on the housing side. Maybe that's the difference between a $5 increase over 5 years being enough vs. a more immediate increase over 3 years to try and keep peoples' heads above water as costs rise. But the simple fact is that the continuing sprawl throughout Central Florida is unsustainable financially, environmentally, and structurally and does no one any favors in the end once everything is considered. There must be a change in how housing is viewed, by everyone, and a change in what is built, how it's built, and who owns it.

Of course, if wages kept pace with productivity, that would be a big difference maker as well. As production and efficiency has climbed in the modern era, those gains have gone nearly exclusively straight to the top.
Your opinions even though well written is not even realistic with a little bit of fantasy sprinkled in. Homeowners will never view their important investment in your mindset. I'm all for affordable housing for the ones needing it, just not anywhere near where I live or you will see a fight to not let that happen.

Touchdown

Your opinions even though well written is not even realistic with a little bit of fantasy sprinkled in. Homeowners will never view their important investment in your mindset. I'm all for affordable housing for the ones needing it, just not anywhere near where I live or you will see a fight to not let that happen.
How can the home you live in currently be an investment? If you sell it then you will need to buy shelter again, so you can’t really extract the value of that. The only other way to extract value is to mortgage it again which creates an interest baring loan that will cost you on the long run (unless you are extremely lucky and time said loan right before an inflation spike where your homes value increases faster then your interest payment.).

Usually we expect investment assets to create wealth by producing something income that can be accessed. Real Estate you don’t live in does this through rent (so yes in that case Real Estate is an investment,) stocks through company earnings, bonds interest payments, etc.

I don’t think your primary home should be viewed as a real investment because of this. It’s a very expensive commodity that if you live in one place long enough you can achieve significant cost of living savings by being able to pay off your mortgage. The problem is, because the American Middle Class is horrible at saving money, this required commodity purchase and forced investment (ie paying off the mortgage) is the only way that they “invest.” Through buying a house too big for their income that makes them “house poor” they chose not to contribute to 401ks and thus miss out on having a livable nest egg unless they then sell that house (or remortgage) to fund it, warping their view of their primary residence. It also perpetuates the Pyramid scheme.

I don’t know how to fix that, it’s the bs that so many people have pushed to Middle America for forever, when it started (Homestead Act) it wasn’t a lie because most land purchasers were either buying a farm (which would create assists in the form of food) or in urban areas the structure would also contain some sort of business most of the time. That’s not true now, and you think people would have learned this lesson the hard way in 2008, but sadly no.

Lilofan

How can the home you live in currently be an investment? If you sell it then you will need to buy shelter again, so you can’t really extract the value of that. The only other way to extract value is to mortgage it again which creates an interest baring loan that will cost you on the long run (unless you are extremely lucky and time said loan right before an inflation spike where your homes value increases faster then your interest payment.).

Usually we expect investment assets to create wealth by producing something income that can be accessed. Real Estate you don’t live in does this through rent (so yes in that case Real Estate is an investment,) stocks through company earnings, bonds interest payments, etc.

I don’t think your primary home should be viewed as a real investment because of this. It’s a very expensive commodity that if you live in one place long enough you can achieve significant cost of living savings by being able to pay off your mortgage. The problem is, because the American Middle Class is horrible at saving money, this required commodity purchase and forced investment (ie paying off the mortgage) is the only way that they “invest.” Through buying a house too big for their income that makes them “house poor” they chose not to contribute to 401ks and thus miss out on having a livable nest egg unless they then sell that house (or remortgage) to fund it, warping their view of their primary residence. It also perpetuates the Pyramid scheme.

I don’t know how to fix that, it’s the bs that so many people have pushed to Middle America for forever, when it started (Homestead Act) it wasn’t a lie because most land purchasers were either buying a farm (which would create assists in the form of food) or in urban areas the structure would also contain some sort of business most of the time. That’s not true now, and you think people would have learned this lesson the hard way in 2008, but sadly no.
An example of home as an investment. My good friend sold her 60 year old CT home for $900K moved to FL and bought 3 bedroom golf course condo for $400K ( all cash ) .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom