News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
The good news is it’s just the US parks, I can go on DCL or go to one of the international parks and still get the Disney idealism I used to get here.

“Self expression” via tattoos, bright hair colors, unkept beards, lack of ironing, etc is an American trait that hasn’t caught on overseas (or on the seas) yet.

I don’t think this is Disney embracing individuality, it’s Disney adapting to the US hiring pool, if there was still an ample pool of clean cut applicants I don’t think we’d be seeing tats and unique hair. They adapted to what’s available, not inclusivity .

I don't think you've ever been to the French parks then. The "Disney Look" went against French culture and French law, so they had to adapt it. The Disney Look of the US parks now is closer to the Disney Look of the French parks.

Vegas Disney Fan

I feel you, change ain't always easy, and we all got our own ways of looking at things. But the world keeps moving and we can't just run from our fears or our differences. It's time to embrace diversity and let everybody be themselves, tattoos and all. Disney's just trying to keep up with the times and create a place where everybody can feel welcome, no matter how they look or where they come from. So let's give 'em a chance and see how things play out, ya feel me?

Circle of life, we all hate change, my parents hated it, my grandparents hated it, now it’s my turn to hate it. Eventually you young whippersnappers (😉) championing the tats and hair for its inclusivity will become middle aged and complain about whatever they are changing then, probably something like dropping uniforms and allowing CMs to wear their own clothes, something the “kids” will love for self expression reasons but you will complain about because it diminishes the Disney feel.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't think you've ever been to the French parks then. The "Disney Look" went against French culture and French law, so they had to adapt it. The Disney Look of the US parks now is closer to the Disney Look of the French parks.
3 times actually, 2015, 2016, and 2018…we were supposed to go back in 2020 but the world intervened. We’re doing Norway this year on DCL instead.

The French form of expression doesn’t come off as sloppy, maybe that’s the difference.

Alanzo

Circle of life, we all hate change, my parents hated it, my grandparents hated it, now it’s my turn to hate it. Eventually you young whippersnappers (😉) championing the tats and hair for its inclusivity will become middle aged and complain about whatever they are changing then, probably something like dropping uniforms and allowing CMs to wear their own clothes, something the “kids” will love for self expression reasons but you will complain about because it diminishes the Disney feel.

Say it louder for the people in the back! I feel you, my dude. I'll consider myself lucky if I get so old I'm complaining about what the Disney cast members are wearing, or not (;)). Times are changing, but some things never change, amirite.

TP2000

My Bold Prediction from all these labor negotiations:

The CM's in unskilled entry-level positions will get a pay bump of between $1 and $2 over their current rates. Nothing more. The Union will bluster and Tweet as much as possible, but no walkout or strike will happen because those CM's can't afford to lose a paycheck. The CM's will get a buck or two more per hour for '23 and beyond.

Disney will continue to find ways to cut staffing and labor as the rates have increased. There will be more automation added to kitchens and hotel operations to replace the unskilled entry-level labor that currently does that work, reducing the need for labor in the long-term.

The Union will bluster and Tweet about how they fought for the CM's and thank you in advance for all your union dues money.

Rinse and Repeat for the next contract negotiation several years from now. ;)

eliza61nyc

Sure. They can look for better paying jobs or a cheaper cost of living.

Except both of those things take money.
Yep, and it always was that way. since the dawn of time if you wanted to "get ahead" or more money, you looked for a better job, or you moved, or you went back to school, or some went into the armed forces, or any of the hundreds of different ways.

The difference now is that a memo went out saying a company somehow "owed" it's employees the life they felt they deserved no matter the position or skill. Yes all those things cost money, they always have, some take the chance for a better life. Hell, some folks would pack up their entire families and move without knowing success. 1000's of entrepreneurs & small business owners mortgage their houses, work 100 hour weeks for the chance.

And believe me, I absolutely know how frightening that can be, I say it all the time, I was lucky enough to have a supervisor when I worked in retail to tell me flat out that if I stayed working in a department store my life would suck ESPECIALLY in high a new york city. she didn't tell me it was my employees responsibility to give me a decent salary.

seriously, why all of a sudden now a company is supposed to be responsible for a persons happiness or getting ahead is supposed to be easy and without effort.
Sadly, in 10 years they will still not be making a living wage and still blaming Disney for their economic situation.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

My Bold Prediction from all these labor negotiations:

The CM's in unskilled entry-level positions will get a pay bump of between $1 and $2 over their current rates. Nothing more. The Union will bluster and Tweet as much as possible, but no walkout or strike will happen because those CM's can't afford to lose a paycheck. The CM's will get a buck or two more per hour for '23 and beyond.

Disney will continue to find ways to cut staffing and labor as the rates have increased. There will be more automation added to kitchens and hotel operations to replace the unskilled entry-level labor that currently does that work, reducing the need for labor in the long-term.

The Union will bluster and Tweet about how they fought for the CM's and thank you in advance for all your union dues money.

Rinse and Repeat for the next contract negotiation several years from now. ;)
and the unskilled entry level cm's will still be blaming Disney for their lot in life.

eliza61nyc

I'm not sure anyone is calling the CM’s lazy, and I guess if I had to blame anyone it would be society as a whole. We have, since the dawn of time assigned different "values" to different positions. For the longest time it was understood that "entry level" jobs were the lowest paying jobs, generally short term. People took them not as a career but a stepping stone. Some where along the line that changed.
Now the problem becomes there is an entire generation that feels no matter what position you have, if you work a certain amount of time you are owed the ability to have a the things you want.

I totally agree with @TP2000 , the cast members will get a few dollars raise, will it be enough to keep pace with inflation and the ridiculous rise in housing costs?? Doubtful. And in 5 years we'll be right back here with the same type of thread

Last edited:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
For the longest time it was understood that "entry level" jobs were the lowest paying jobs, generally short term
And since it's inception, it was understood by those who signed it into law, that the minimum wage is to be a living wage.

Not a thriving wage, not a get-rich wage - just a living wage. It's not even a living wage anymore.

Any employer paying so little that full-time employees still qualify for government assistance deserves to be fined.

lazyboy97o

I'm not sure anyone is calling the CM’s lazy, and I guess if I had to blame anyone it would be society as a whole. We have since the dawn of time assigned different "values" to different positions. For the longest time it was understood that "entry level" jobs were the lowest paying jobs, generally short term. People took them not as a career but a stepping stone. Some where along the line that changed
What changed is things like scale. You can’t operate a massive year-round operation just on people who don’t really need the money.

This whole thread is about how the employees have to do more. That’s all people keep talking about completely divorced from the situation Walt Disney World faces that will get worse in coming years. But of course even if they wanted to be more aggressive about compensation, Disney is too worried about how short term focused analysts would react to raises for “those jobs” even though it could be done with negligible impact on financial performance.

Lilofan

When the cost of living is above ones means, the system is the problem - not the participants in it.
Our family was in the same situation when I was younger. My late father worked various jobs my mom went back to work, moved to a lower COL area , streamline spending - sacrifices that we had to make to get out of debt to get ahead. We did not blame the system, we made sacrifices / changes to get into a better situation. I worked cash under the table doing odd jobs when I was 13 , 14 to help my parents with income , wasn’t easy but glad I could help.

TrainsOfDisney

Any employer paying so little that full-time employees still qualify for government assistance deserves to be fined.
Exactly!!! It’s costing taxpayers money because companies like WDW are paying so little that “full time” employees are getting government assistance.

It’s not the fault of the employees who are working 40hours a week. It’s the greedy corporations and the political system that lets this happen!

the_rich

And since it's inception, it was understood by those who signed it into law, that the minimum wage is to be a living wage.

Not a thriving wage, not a get-rich wage - just a living wage. It's not even a living wage anymore.

100% agree

"It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country."
FDR -1933

eliza61nyc

What changed is things like scale. You can’t operate a massive year-round operation just on people who don’t really need the money.

This whole thread is about how the employees have to do more. That’s all people keep talking about completely divorced from the situation Walt Disney World faces that will get worse in coming years. But of course even if they wanted to be more aggressive about compensation, Disney is too worried about how short term focused analysts would react to raises for “those jobs” even though it could be done with negligible impact on financial performance.
Oh I totally agree, most companies now only focus on short term goals. I retired from Dupont chemicals. We had a running joke about how we now do "science by shareholders". Developing new products and technology could take decades, the company wants immediate returns so all we used to do is rehash old stuff. Shareholders unfortunately are insatiable beast and they don't want slow puny growth, every year they want double digit returns.
So for the front line CM the cold hard fact is Disney will probably NEVER pay those entry level positions liveable wages

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom