News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Dranth

Who did you know two years ago, that managed a gas station car wash and made $175k a year? This is unsustainable
Why is it unsustainable? It is the advantage of being a private company and not having to deal with stock holders. They can set a reasonable profit margin and pour the rest back into the company including their employees and it has worked very well for them.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Profits and productivity rose for years with wages not keeping pace. Why is it i here try unsustainable for some of the money made to go to one group of people and not another?

Why is it unsustainable? It is the advantage of being a private company and not having to deal with stock holders. They can set a reasonable profit margin and poor the rest back into the company including their employees and it has worked very well for them.
In this case…it’s because Bob got enamored with being viewed as “speculative, growth enterprise” on Wall Street and they insist that never change. And of course his pay is tied to stock prices - which isn’t directly correlated to Yield…cause it’s speculation

…it’s really just that simple

Lilofan

Why is it unsustainable? It is the advantage of being a private company and not having to deal with stock holders. They can set a reasonable profit margin and poor the rest back into the company including their employees and it has worked very well for them.
Also a private company ( ie doesn't have to reveal financial info to public ) like a public company does. I've known some in high positions in private companies making 2x 3x in salary and bonus compared to working in a public company. Private company execs can hide and keep their financials and their net worth secret whereas Iger all know exactly how he makes his money. Private companies not under the prying eyes of investors and Wall Street can keep their dirty laundry in house better than a public company.

Drdcm

The major operators…reading the tea leaves nationally…got ahead of the minimum pre-Covid by making announcements. It was good PR and they knew it would go there anyway.

So they’re not tied to the Florida minimum.

But what happened? People actually left the work force - across the board - during covid. That reversed decades long trends of nobody leaving and logjams at the Bottom rung.

So the worker had the power in a New York minute.

But now the prices of everything have been gouged (corporate media calls it “inflation” to not tick off their sponsors…but it’s gouging) and all their “Gains” are being immediately drained at the cash registers…sorry “Apple Pay touch points”

And now it’s circular. Prices up - higher pay - higher prices - more debt - calls for higher pay - higher prices

To infinity and beyond
Until a recession hits… Then people lose their jobs, and start to take anything that will make ends meet - which apparently isn’t a job at Disney.

I’m legitimately wondering if Disney is delaying to leverage this. I’m sorry, but I don’t believe what our politicians are telling us about the rosy economic future :(.

chama1

That's a crock. ROTC is an option and to serve your country is a great honor. One of my regrets not going that route.
My daughter was military then she switched to a federal government job dealing with soldiers coming back to the US after deployment for years...now my granddaughter was just about to finish high school when her mom stated she needed to get it together as things have changed regrading jobs, benefits, etc...so my granddaughter actually paid attention and enlisted right out of high school. We really thought she was not going to make "basic training" as many in her troop went back home (you can do that now) and she has been spoiled being an only child. Well she did finish, now she's a paralegal, in Europe and doing things and going places she never thought she would do at such a young age...has great benefit, good salary, free college, etc...I'm not saying it was easy for her but now she realizes what you have to sacrifice in order to live a somewhat good life now a days. Her friends are having a hard time making ends meet. And the great part is her mom is just 4 hrs away from her which puts me a ease if something should happen...Salaries do have to go up as prices have gone up all the way around...

Lilofan

My daughter was military then she switched to a federal government job dealing with soldiers coming back to the US after deployment for years...now my granddaughter was just about to finish high school when her mom stated she needed to get it together as things have changed regrading jobs, benefits, etc...so my granddaughter actually paid attention and enlisted right out of high school. We really thought she was not going to make "basic training" as many in her troop went back home (you can do that now) and she has been spoiled being an only child. Well she did finish, now she's a paralegal, in Europe and doing things and going places she never thought she would do at such a young age...has great benefit, good salary, free college, etc...I'm not saying it was easy for her but now she realizes what you have to sacrifice in order to live a somewhat good life now a days. Her friends are having a hard time making ends meet. And the great part is her mom is just 4 hrs away from her which puts me a ease if something should happen...Salaries do have to go up as prices have gone up all the way around...
You can quit basic training? Wow.. Back in the day you were rolled back and started over or if one or all screwed up, then the "incentive training " the DI put the recruits through taught them a lesson. My friend said time in the sand pit ( time limit ) when you got punished or IT in the barracks- quarterdeck ( no time limit ) was memorable.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Until a recession hits… Then people lose their jobs, and start to take anything that will make ends meet - which apparently isn’t a job at Disney.

I’m legitimately wondering if Disney is delaying to leverage this. I’m sorry, but I don’t believe what our politicians are telling us about the rosy economic future :(.
Corporations take advantage of recessions…we all know.

Just like you can make money on a stock going up OR betting it will go down…
The same is true of recessions. The street loves it when you slash and burn and your product - though lower volume - takes up a bigger Chunk of available cash from the customer

I have no doubts Disney is geared up to exploit a recession. I worked through one and they sure didn’t mind that much.

Business does NOT like this wage trend the last few years. I bet they lobbied against Covid relief and restrictions specifically because it pushed wages up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Who forces kids to attend more expensive private schools when one can attend in state public universities at lesser costs, even cheaper living with the parents, or apply for ROTC scholarships attend college for free and serve your country for a few years. . Did one party and study for 4 years and not work in the campus cafeteria while eating for free and avoiding paying for the meal plan ? I did all three, was not easy but it was worth it. Asking for a friend.
The problem there is degrees are a dime a dozen after we sold them for 50 years like McDonald’s sold quarter lbers…

So you’re either a little in debt on an overpay or a lot in debt on an overpay

Lilofan

Corporations take advantage of recessions…we all know.

Just like you can make money on a stock going up OR betting it will go down…
The same is true of recessions. The street loves it when you slash and burn and your product - though lower volume - takes up a bigger Chunk of available cash from the customer

I have no doubts Disney is geared up to exploit a recession. I worked through one and they sure didn’t mind that much.

Business does NOT like this wage trend the last few years. I bet they lobbied against Covid relief and restrictions specifically because it pushed wages up.
Memories of recessions. I survived the big layoff in my company in spring 2009, and I was awarded more responsibilities and no raises for the next 3 years but I was lucky to have a job and I did not lose my home.

Drdcm

Memories of recessions. I survived the big layoff in my company in spring 2009, and I was awarded more responsibilities and no raises for the next 3 years but I was lucky to have a job and I did not lose my home.
I intentionally tried to pick a job that is recession-proof. Let’s hope a VA psychiatrist is a safe bet. It would be a bad look for the government to lay off a bunch of VA docs - especially those in MH. But who knows with the threat of govt shutdowns 🤷‍♂️.

I’ve always tried to hedge for my future

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Who forces kids to attend more expensive private schools when one can attend in state public universities at lesser costs, even cheaper living with the parents, or apply for ROTC scholarships attend college for free and serve your country for a few years. . Did one party and study for 4 years and not work in the campus cafeteria while eating for free and avoiding paying for the meal plan ? I did all three, was not easy but it was worth it. Asking for a friend.
No one forces them - but more expensive private schools generally come with better alumni networks that can help speed up career growth. It's an investment.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Neat. You were lucky.

I was 2 years out of university and experienced my first layoff in 2007 right as the collapse was starting. Since my job prospects were so horribly bad, I moved back home and went back to school to ride it out in the safety of academia. Finally in 2010 I restarted my career from 0 with a 5 year delay compared to my classmates that were lucky.

Drdcm

No one forces them - but more expensive private schools generally come with better alumni networks that can help speed up career growth. It's an investment.
This was a huge benefit of my school. We also had a lot of different scholarships available, which was nice.

I wish more people paid attention to the types of jobs/income graduates get and not just sports and “prestige”.

We actually had a pre-graduation dinner that highlighted alum who hired in new grads, there were so many in all kinds of fields even though we were a dreaded liberal arts school.

Ayla

I agree, even though mine, DH's and our son's undergrads are all from state universities. DH's Masters is from a private university, but his company paid 100% for that, at no out of pocket cost to us.

chama1

You can quit basic training? Wow.. Back in the day you were rolled back and started over or if one or all screwed up, then the "incentive training " the DI put the recruits through taught them a lesson. My friend said time in the sand pit ( time limit ) when you got punished or IT in the barracks- quarterdeck ( no time limit ) was memorable.
Yep...the "services" are not like back in the day...if you can't eat the food, have a slight injury, can't do any part of the training...yep you can leave...as a matter of fact, the males left in higher numbers then the females...I was taken aback at the numbers...have to say all the females stuck with it...they get to choose where they want to be sent and so far I hear they are doing well in their placement...I can only imagine what if would be like if they enlisted during the 70's...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom