News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Casper Gutman

I hope the union goes on strike and floridas government strips them of their autonomy. Having them rip Disney apart will be poetic justice for what these idiot disney executives (including Iger) did to ruin the greatest theme parks and resorts this country ever had.
The correct way to fix bad people doing destructive things is not to have much worse people do far, far more destructive things.

Lilofan

The correct way to fix bad people doing destructive things is not to have much worse people do far, far more destructive things.
I recall in the late 1990s / early 2000s , the contract was voted down by the cast the first time. Both company and union went back to table made improvements then second vote , the cast voted down the contract again. Prior to third vote, WDW President Al Weiss sent a letter to all cast that if the cast did not vote to approve then the contract , the contract would be implemented with what company offered prior to first vote. End result - the cast voted to approve on the third vote. Both teams know how to play hardball.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Has the Disney union cast ever striked before?

No, and from my understanding they haven't even done a strike vote.
Florida law…the ever so cute “right to work” statutes…makes strikes virtually impossible.
Which was the entire point of why they passed them
Saint Gipper practically descended from the Hollywood hills below the sign with them on the tablets.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hope the union goes on strike and floridas government strips them of their autonomy. Having them rip Disney apart will be poetic justice for what these idiot disney executives (including Iger) did to ruin the greatest theme parks and resorts this country ever had.
I get the sentiment…but “unions” really have zero power or influence in Florida. What they “get” is always the minimum Disney will allow to serve their PR agenda. Guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I recall in the late 1990s / early 2000s , the contract was voted down by the cast the first time. Both company and union went back to table made improvements then second vote , the cast voted down the contract again. Prior to third vote, WDW President Al Weiss sent a letter to all cast that if the cast did not vote to approve then the contract , the contract would be implemented with what company offered prior to first vote. End result - the cast voted to approve on the third vote. Both teams know how to play hardball.
Correct.

In the end…if it was the time you are referring to (it is)…it ended up being like $0.60 an hour to a mostly minimum wage staff and some highly taxed “bonuses” to those with Mickey pins on their name tags…
Rather pointless.

TrainsOfDisney

How so? You think some cast would strike while the contract is still in effect and lose their jobs over it?
Possibly. They would have little to lose if they actually did lose their job - and that’s not likely since WDW is in crazy need for employees.

Better or worse?

Better for employees. Worse for employers. As far as bargaining power. :) haha

Patcheslee

How so? You think some cast would strike while the contract is still in effect and lose their jobs over it?
Isn’t it on a month by month basis right now? Does that mean the union can just deny an extension the next round of voting? i.e. accept or vote to strike with voting due the last day contract is valid.

Brian

Isn’t it on a month by month basis right now? Does that mean the union can just deny an extension the next round of voting? i.e. accept or vote to strike with voting due the last day contract is valid.
No, it is year-to-year, and the first opportunity for either party to terminate the contract (in the unlikely event an agreement can't be reached in the interim) is 10/1/2023.

Term.png

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Possibly. They would have little to lose if they actually did lose their job - and that’s not likely since WDW is in crazy need for employees.

Better for employees. Worse for employers. As far as bargaining power. :) haha

Yes, but the employees have the upper hand.
In practice this is not true at all.

Wages spiked…probably more than any of us here can ever remember in our lifetimes…

But all “gains” were gobbled up by price gouging across the board, tightening of borrowing and a huge jump in interest rates.

If you looked at purchasing power of wdw employees now compared to 2018?…I bet they are AT MOST equal…maybe even in decline.

It’s Orlando…and the US…
The plebs don’t gain ground.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There will not be a strike…because it would last about 1.5 days.
The picket line doesn’t exist in the scenario where it would be effective. Which is 100% participation, shutdown and public closure/loss

Now I will say that management can least afford this kinda attention now that ever before…that is true.

But you have a better chance herding cats with one of these flimsy trade councils

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom