News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Lilofan

what’s a “better career”? Who decides that? “Better career” = “real job” I’m guessing? :-/
News flash - your inner self. One CM I met while at WDW, started in custodial and had issues with income. A year later he applied and transferred to be a bus driver which BTW paid more with increasing responsibility .

lazyboy97o

News flash - your inner self. One CM I met while at WDW, started in custodial and had issues with income. A year later he applied and transferred to be a bus driver which BTW paid more with increasing responsibility .
And how does Walt Disney World fill the now vacated job that needs to be done and nobody wants?

peter11435

And those 10s of thousands how many work just their scheduled full time hours and not a minute more? Not willing to work OT, second job, reevaluate their living situation etc? I know of one who could not afford expensive Orlando but moved to Haines City which apt was less per month as one example. He chose to not just complain but did something about it .
Many cast members are working OT. Either by choice or otherwise. And again… how many hours should someone have to work in order to afford a one bedroom apartment? Should a full time job not be enough to afford a simple 1 bedroom? So your friend moved to Haines city and likely now spends in gas what he’s saving in rent.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
WDI doesn't seem to have issues filling their positions.
They don't. Because even though they pay low, professional roles - like those at WDI - tend to get a living or thriving wage.

Saying that, we hired a few ex WDI people after layoffs to work in our UI/UX/3D teams. Every one of them, including the ones who accepted a lower-level role, got at least a 30% bump. And some got considerably higher and far better benefits.

mkt

Premium Member
I'm one of the only people that think the parks are still underpriced, but I will say that Bob Chapek raised the low end admission price to MK by $15 dollars and basically got fired for it. $36 might be a lot to ask people.

One other weird factor is whether the union would even accept a flat across the board pay raise like that. They usually don't, preferring instead to reward seniority with the union and offering percentage increases which scale unfavorably for the lower end CMs. So you end up with that $2 each per hour being $3 for some and $0.50 for others.
I'm not saying raise admission by $36.

I'm saying that it's easy to extra an extra $36 per guest. Tickets aren't the only source of revenue for Disney Parks.

$1 more for a soda here, $3 more for a sit down dinner there, $10 more per night for a resort room, etc, etc.

mkt

Premium Member
There is no absolutely economic problem with the viability of Disney paying more, it is a purely social problem, one that Disney lacks the confidence to justify even in purely business terms.

THIS. THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

I'm saying that it's easy to extra an extra $36 per guest. Tickets aren't the only source of revenue for Disney Parks.

$1 more for a soda here, $3 more for a sit down dinner there, $10 more per night for a resort room, etc, etc.

Its not like they don't already subsidize D+ from the parks by those methods....

mkt

Premium Member
Its not like they don't already subsidize D+ from the parks by those methods....
And it's not like they don't have a shortage of revenue streams, or an extremely loyal audience willing to spend money on whatever the company puts out.

Lilofan

Many cast members are working OT. Either by choice or otherwise. And again… how many hours should someone have to work in order to afford a one bedroom apartment? Should a full time job not be enough to afford a simple 1 bedroom? So your friend moved to Haines city and likely now spends in gas what he’s saving in rent.
Instead of whining on the high cost of a one bedroom, get a roommate to split costs, work OT or second job ,apply for a higher paying role with more responsibility , evaluate spending habits etc. My friend likes the lower COL of Haines City and the gas reason doesn't cut it. Its not an issue for him . Like I said I know some even in my business that want to earn more without anymore increasing responsibility like applying for a promotion or working beyond their required work hours.

mkt

Premium Member
Instead of whining on the high cost of a one bedroom, get a roommate to split costs, work OT or second job ,apply for a higher paying role with more responsibility , evaluate spending habits etc. My friend likes the lower COL of Haines City and the gas reason doesn't cut it. Its not an issue for him . Like I said I know some even in my business that want to earn more without anymore increasing responsibility like applying for a promotion or working beyond their required work hours.

I took a peek at current 1br/1ba listings in Haines City. Due to the propensity of ads being left on long after they unit has been filled, I only looked at openings in the past 7 days.

There's nothing.

So if you know someone there who was already there, they're very lucky. There's no 1BR/1BA availables if you need a place to live now.

TrainsOfDisney

Instead of whining on the high cost of a one bedroom, get a roommate to split costs, work OT or second job ,apply for a higher paying role with more responsibility , evaluate spending habits etc.
Nobody is whining - I am stating the fact that in my opinion anyone working a full time job should be adequately compensated for their time.

A full time job should pay enough for someone to live comfortably. ($40-50k) as a minnimum.

lazyboy97o

It does not help when FL has elected idiots bad mouthing the company.
That’s not an answer. Disney has tons of jobs they still need to fill. They have venues that are still closed, not generating revenue, because they don’t have the staff to open them. Disney needs to attract more labor and paying more is a rather simple, basic way to help do just that.

el_super

I do want to stress that I still think the CMs deserve more, but how do you make a distinction between this and what Chapek already implemented? People have complained about the nickel and diming... Why wouldn't a straight up increase to admissions or a service charge on top of admission work just as well?

The downside of course is if admissions gets too high, you end up needing less Cast Members anyway.

mkt

Premium Member
I do want to stress that I still think the CMs deserve more, but how do you make a distinction between this and what Chapek already implemented? People have complained about the nickel and diming... Why wouldn't a straight up increase to admissions or a service charge on top of admission work just as well?

The downside of course is if admissions gets too high, you end up needing less Cast Members anyway.

A straight up increase to admission gets negative press. A few bucks here and there are ignored.

el_super

There's no 1BR/1BA availables if you need a place to live now.

Isn't this a bigger problem? It's one thing to say CMs should be able to afford a 1BR, but if there isn't any inventory to support it and a market of cash-rich CMs, housing prices will dramatically increase.

I ts a good thing to want CMs to be valued and generally paid more, but these are far more complex problems than a singular answer of "Disney needs to just pay more" can solve.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom