News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
get ready - tickets, genie+, ILL, food, hotels, and parking all about to go up to offset it.

Execs will probably get a raise with bonuses for all the layoffs too

Then in a few years there will be another complaint about the full time Peter Pan attraction loader not making enough to live on and rinse and repeat

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
This is a question, is this from the a crazy increase from storms?? Since i retired I had been investing living by the beach (lol my dream when I hit powerball) and was floored with the rates and a few companies don't even issue coverage. WTH?
There was an esoteric Florida law specific problem that made it insanely easy to sue insurance companies and that in turn caused rates to go wild (79% of all cases of Americans suing insurers were in Florida, and the industry claimed the preponderance was basically fraudulent). The legislature passed what they claim is a fix in December but it will probably take a few years for rates to readjust; if I ran an insurance company I’d want to be damn sure I wasn’t going to lose my shirt before I lowered rates.

Rates are half as much or lower 1 mile into Georgia or Alabama

WDWFanRay

Look, I applaud the employees for fighting to make a living wage, but if you figure there are 32,000 full-time cast members in this union and each one is getting a $3 an hour raise, Disney is looking at an additional $552 per month each ($3 x 8 hours x 23 days) or $552 x 32000= an additional $17.65 million per month or $211 million more a year. Then, if you figure that the other unions will be able to negotiate at least $3 more an hour, Disney could be looking at another $150 million+ a year in extra pay. That’s an additional $360+ million a year Disney will have to spend, not counting what the 8 weeks of child bonding ends up costing. Obviously, some pretty large price increases are coming to cover this and I wonder at what point is it too much? Our daughter worked at WDW in 2018-2019 and started at $10.00 an hour. Have incomes really doubled in 4 years? Is that sustainable? Again, I am happy for the Disney cast members, but when does it become too much for the guests to bear?

Smiley/OCD

It's not. That's approximately $540/wk take home. The average 1 bedroom in metro Orlando is $1820. That leaves $340 for utilities, food, and commuting expenses.

We've been arguing about it for so long, that it's closer to $24/hr now.
With all due respect, that’s for one person working in the household…I can count on one hand how many friends and neighbors have a one earner household.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, the jokes NOT on me…I KNOW the pundits won’t be happy with the increase, that was exactly my point
Seems like a win/win to me…upon first glance. Which probably means no one is happy
And people need to see the nightmare of the Florida insurance market. There are people living along the coast in normal houses who are finding out their insurance for their home is $18,000 a year now. A NORMAL HOUSE.
Wdw frontlines were never much “the ownership society” anyway…
I can’t imagine that will be better moving forward

Lilofan

And people need to see the nightmare of the Florida insurance market. There are people living along the coast in normal houses who are finding out their insurance for their home is $18,000 a year now. A NORMAL HOUSE.
That's if your home passes the FL 4 point inspection . Any violations which is most probable get ready to shell out thousands of dollars to fix then the home inspector will conduct the 4 point inspection and pray that you pass.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm eager to read the actual contract and side letters to see what they gave up in order to secure these economic wins. Usually there's some concessions there.
It appears Disney had to yield to get staff RIGHT now…but they’ll likely fall behind. 5 years is too long to give the management in Florida. Comcast is just gonna jump them in 2024 if not sooner and turn the screws

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Look, I applaud the employees for fighting to make a living wage, but if you figure there are 32,000 full-time cast members in this union and each one is getting a $3 an hour raise, Disney is looking at an additional $552 per month each ($3 x 8 hours x 23 days) or $552 x 32000= an additional $17.65 million per month or $211 million more a year. Then, if you figure that the other unions will be able to negotiate at least $3 more an hour, Disney could be looking at another $150 million+ a year in extra pay. That’s an additional $360+ million a year Disney will have to spend, not counting what the 8 weeks of child bonding ends up costing. Obviously, some pretty large price increases are coming to cover this and I wonder at what point is it too much? Our daughter worked at WDW in 2018-2019 and started at $10.00 an hour. Have incomes really doubled in 4 years? Is that sustainable? Again, I am happy for the Disney cast members, but when does it become too much for the guests to bear?
If they had another choice…they would have made it.

And guess who’s gonna pay? Everyone with those “luxury experiences”.

It is what it is

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This is a question, is this from the a crazy increase from storms?? Since i retired I had been investing living by the beach (lol my dream when I hit powerball) and was floored with the rates and a few companies don't even issue coverage. WTH?

Its all due to the amount of reserves the insurance companies have been gambling for hurricanes not to hit Florida each year. Only takes a few years of above-average land strikes to wipe out an inadequate fund. So they, the ones that remain, are now front-loading the risk into each year's premiums. Structures that should be built like bomb shelters to be reasonably insured are not built, instead, you get the typical stick and brick facade structure without the structural tie-downs. I wont even get into where people decided to build because of the "pretty views" that are just above the high tide line.

KeithVH

It's not. That's approximately $540/wk take home. The average 1 bedroom in metro Orlando is $1820. That leaves $340 for utilities, food, and commuting expenses.

We've been arguing about it for so long, that it's closer to $24/hr now.
Well, as others have pointed out, landlords were probably more overjoyed at this news than anyone. That $1820, is gonna easily shoot past $1900 within a year. Basic cost-push scenario here.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If they had another choice…they would have made it.

And guess who’s gonna pay? Everyone with those “luxury experiences”.

It is what it is
Except the Galactic Starcruiser that is sinking like the titanic of course

I mean who could have seen that coming
Must have been the same group who brought the NBA Experience to Disney Springs

TheMaxRebo

Insurance rates have needed to go up because loss cota and loss ratios are through the roof. Replacement costs are way up as is labor to do the repairs (if you can find it). Plus legal issues with things like Assignment of Benefits make it even worse in Florida

I know people don't care about insurance companies, but they need to cover their costs and haven't been able to in Florida so are leaving the state or reducing how much they write and quickly getting off properties that don't have new roofs, etc.

Smiley/OCD

I don’t want to argue this point, but I was sincerely curious, so I just called my aunt & uncle that bought a brand new 2000ft/2 home in Ormond Beach…they are approximately 5 miles from the ocean…I asked…they are paying 1200.00/yr and they were paying 2400.00/yr in NJ, 20 miles from the ocean NOT in a flood zone…I’m still waiting to hear from my wife’s aunt in Jacksonville…

ETA: My wife’s aunt rents, so no insurance, we live 7 miles from super storm Sandy’s ground zero and we pay 1435.00/yr
It’s very interesting

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom