News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

TheMaxRebo

So basically $17 an hour, but the union can claim victory because they wanted $18 “this year” and they’ll get it in December, technically “this year”.

Edited to add, I was shocked to read the $15 an hour raise was in 2018, it feels like that just happened, 5 years goes so fast.

So a bump to $15 in 2018, a bump to $17 in Dec 2022, and then $1 a year for the next 5 years until they’re at $23 in Dec 2028… is that right?

no, I think next year is just 0.50 and then $1 in 2025 and 2026 - which is the last the last (though the contract runs through 2027) ... so the people at $15 will get upto $20.50 - which gets you to the the min $5.50 raise that ever CM will get cited

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
no, I think next year is just 0.50 and then $1 in 2025 and 2026 - which is the last the last (though the contract runs through 2027) ... so the people at $15 will get upto $20.50 - which gets you to the the min $5.50 raise that ever CM will get cited
My first thought was: labor win

Then I wised up and forget to realize: Disney always wins.

But in the grand scope…not sure anybody wins here?

It is a relief/reprieve for the staff that is being crushed by the same costs we all are and have little money to pay for them…just only temporarily.

I’m always pro-name tag…I’ll be in helms deep defending them…
But I wonder how this deal goes? Interesting

TheMaxRebo

My first thought was: labor win

Then I wised up and forget to realize: Disney always wins.

But in the grand scope…not sure anybody wins here?

It is a relief/reprieve for the staff that is being crushed by the same costs we all are and have little money to pay for them…just only temporarily.

I’m always pro-name tag…I’ll be in helms deep defending them…
But I wonder how this deal goes? Interesting

talking to a few CMs, it is definitely a win for them - at least in the short term. This is going to make a big difference for a lot of people in the near term

But yeah, 3 years from now, if cost of living in the area keeps going up? Gonna be a different story

eliza61nyc

Way to go over the top.

Labor and wages are complex things…as is combating humanity’s #1 addiction…greed
Not over the top at all, as the song goes "a tale as old as time". A few years ago, we had a similar thread and folks declared 15/ hr was it. Fast forward a bunch of folks said the magic number to lift them out if poverty works be 17 hr. (In the very thread). I will put up my non entry level salary that in two years we'll be on version three.

What does greed have to do with it?? It's a company, you want morality? Work for a church.

And the same argument will be bad bad Disney is greedy 🙄 lol and I wonder how many cms will make so much as an inch move.

Tale as old as time....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not over the top at all, as the song goes "a tale as old as time". A few years ago, we had a similar thread and folks declared 15/ hr was it. Fast forward a bunch of folks said the magic number to lift them out if poverty works be 17 hr. (In the very thread). I will put up my non entry level salary that in two years we'll be on version three.

What does greed have to do with it?? It's a company, you want morality? Work for a church.

And the same argument will be bad bad Disney is greedy 🙄 lol and I wonder how many cms will make so much as an inch move.

Tale as old as time....
I’m just trying to ease the inevitable “the reason your steak went up $10 is those DAMN employees!!”

Which is wrong…and always will be

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
talking to a few CMs, it is definitely a win for them - at least in the short term. This is going to make a big difference for a lot of people in the near term

But yeah, 3 years from now, if cost of living in the area keeps going up? Gonna be a different story
They’re always behind…

Getting back pay relieves that pressure for a minute or two…maybe longer

Happy for them

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldn't expect an increase CM's job performance. Historically, and proven, pay increases result in only short term job satisfaction. A few months from now, CM's who were previously dissatisfied, will continue to revert back to being disgruntled. Pay is only one factor in recruiting and retaining talent.
Wait? Did anyone say that?

Of course not. Not where we are.

The biggest morale mistake - and they pay everyday and it’s in ink here…was laying everyone off when the situation wasn’t yet known. Decisions have consequences and Disney lost big time there.

But it’s for profit, right Liz? 😎
Or perhaps tact does matter?

TheMaxRebo

I wouldn't expect an increase CM's job performance. Historically, and proven, pay increases result in only short term job satisfaction. A few months from now, CM's who were previously dissatisfied, will continue to revert back to being disgruntled. Pay is only one factor in recruiting and retaining talent.

Definitely not - but Disney has to at least stay even with what Universal is offering or risk losing better talent (or talent period) ... Or at least more than they already have

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Definitely not - but Disney has to at least stay even with what Universal is offering or risk losing better talent (or talent period) ... Or at least more than they already have
I think theme park labor is just one of a HUGE list of problems for Bobby.

It was cheap forever…minimum wage that was less than minimum with no real competition in the market.

Things have changed. It’s not good for their accounting…but as long as there’s never a recession again we’re all cool, right? 🤓

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
So basically $17 an hour, but the union can claim victory because they wanted $18 “this year” and they’ll get it in December, technically “this year”.

Edited to add, I was shocked to read the $15 an hour raise was in 2018, it feels like that just happened, 5 years goes so fast.

So a bump to $15 in 2018, a bump to $17 in Dec 2022, and then $1 a year for the next 5 years until they’re at $23 in Dec 2028… is that right?
They signed the contract in 2018 but they didn’t get to $15 until October 2021. It was $1 per year increases.

NelsonRD

I agree. I am just suggesting for improved guest satisfaction, the Disney difference, is reflected by front line CM's, and increasing pay is not a long term solution for outstanding service.

TheMaxRebo

I agree. I am just suggesting for improved guest satisfaction, the Disney difference, is reflected by front line CM's, and increasing pay is not a long term solution for outstanding service.

No, but paying them enough to afford housing, etc can't hurt. Plus just treating them better (I know the 8 weeks for child bonding was well received as an example of that )

But also maybe going back to full version of Traditions and things like that would help too

WDWFanRay

In the end, these wages and prices are unsustainable. Disney paid $10 an hour in 2019 and $7.80/ hour in 2009 and now they’re on target for $20. Wages cannot double in 4 years. The economy is not that elastic. I am by no means picking on Disney castmembers. Their unions should fight for them, but wages and prices are going up WAY to quickly. This will not end well….

Last edited:

Heath

Seems unrealistic and unsustainable that wages can rise that fast to work at a theme park. I’ve always wondered why instead of striking or rallying in unions, why not just work for somebody else or do something different. Instead of fight for minimum wage, make one’s goal to get promoted, or seek a different type job. Minimum wage jobs are not career jobs. Are kids actually going to get paid $18 an hr to wave at people with a big foam hand, or have 3 people stand in front of a shut down Figment entrance? That’s $54 hr lol. I own an ice cream parlor and theater. If minimum wage was $18 I would have to close. There would be no profit.

Vegas Disney Fan

Seems unrealistic and unsustainable that wages can rise that fast to work at a theme park. I’ve always wondered why instead of striking or rallying in unions, why not just work for somebody else or do something different. Instead of fight for minimum wage, make one’s goal to get promoted, or seek a different type job. Minimum wage jobs are not career jobs. Are kids actually going to get paid $18 an hr to wave at people with a big foam hand, or have 3 people stand in front of a shut down Figment entrance? That’s $54 hr lol. I own an ice cream parlor and theater. If minimum wage was $18 I would have to close. There would be no profit.

Because there’s not many jobs left to move up to, most of our manufacturing jobs have moved overseas, partly because our unions drove wages too high to be competitive and partly because we’re competing with countries that don’t have unions so they pay next to nothing.

Disneys stuck, they can’t move so their only choice is keep raising wages until they aren’t profitable anymore and they are forced to close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom