Disney World Buses Go Green

WDWFigment

Original Poster
From Screamscape:

Screamscape.com said:
8/3/07) While so many Walt Disney World purists out there are still holding their breath for any possible sign that could indicate a possible expansion of the Monorail to the other parks, it seems that cost is still the primary factor that will forever prevent this from happening. If anything, Disney is making plans to move in the other direction it seems. According to the latest rumors Walt Disney World will be making the move to convert their massive bus fleet over to new “green” buses in the next couple of years. I’m not sure if these are the newer Natural Gas style busses or something else.

Wonder how long this will take? It seems like a step in the right direction for the increasingly eco-conscious company.

Patsc85

They better figure out a way to pump diesel scents thru the exhaust if they go green! The smell of the diesel exhaust is something that always reminds me of Disney oddly enough =p

dave2822

If it's any indication, all Disney resorts are expected to "go green" by Spring 2008 ... by Earth Day I do believe.

Maybe a similar timetable.

jt04

Hopefully the trend will continue and they will remove the Indy "Speedway" as they pollute as much as a bus! Ack! Uh oh....:lookaroun

And just think what they could do with that chunk of real estate when added to the former sub lagoon land!!!

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
GREEN is my favorite color!! I hope they do switch the buses to a eco friendlier option. It's wonderful to see such major steps being taken, I especially liked the no smoking in the resorts....wish it would be such in the parks as well. Last trip there were dozens of folks smoking OUT of the designated areas....one was even smoking IN LINE on an AK ride....:lookaroun

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
If it's any indication, all Disney resorts are expected to "go green" by Spring 2008 ... by Earth Day I do believe.

Maybe a similar timetable.

I use only non-toxic earth friendly cleaning products in my home and love cleaning without the fumes and chemicals. I had been wondering why the Disney mousekeepers needed to use such to wipe down things in the lobby...the windows etc. Rather bothered me a bit as we sacked out to relax after a long day and she came squirting along right in front of me. Better for the mousekeepers themselves to green up their cleaning!!!! IT IS EASY BEING GREEN!!!:king:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I just read in my Disney's Glorious Garden book this morning that they try to use non-chem products whenever possible to keep up the grounds....like using beneficial insects to help take care of the ones who attack the plants....:lookaroun

PeeplMoovr

Interesting.

It would be worthwhile for Disney to be consistent, though, in their "green" policies. Perhaps they could take this opportunity to back out of the Taylor Energy Center being proposed in northern Florida - a proposal to build a COAL power plant; a decidedly non-green energy source. Not that it would be much better, but the plant isn't even proposing to use the newest technologies.

Investing in renewable energy resources to run the parks/resorts would help Disney move to the forefront of green companies.

But the green bus system is definitely a step in the right direction! Hope it happens sooner rather than later.

DisneyCane

a proposal to build a COAL power plant; a decidedly non-green energy source

Ummm, modern coal power plants with emission control devices and systems are very clean. Unless you're talking CO2 emissions in which case the only viable alternative is a nuclear power plant. These aren't the soot and acid rain creating coal plants of 1912 anymore.

cb3k

Not trying to veer off topic here, but aren't the safari vehicles (The Simba 1) on KS fueled by propane or some variant of it in order to keep the animals free of the harmful emissions that come from gasoline/diesel based vehicles?

cb3k

Interesting.

It would be worthwhile for Disney to be consistent, though, in their "green" policies. Perhaps they could take this opportunity to back out of the Taylor Energy Center being proposed in northern Florida - a proposal to build a COAL power plant; a decidedly non-green energy source. Not that it would be much better, but the plant isn't even proposing to use the newest technologies.

Investing in renewable energy resources to run the parks/resorts would help Disney move to the forefront of green companies.

But the green bus system is definitely a step in the right direction! Hope it happens sooner rather than later.
Just wanted to point out that I love your Avatar...A classic!

WhyteAL

Ummm, modern coal power plants with emission control devices and systems are very clean. Unless you're talking CO2 emissions in which case the only viable alternative is a nuclear power plant. These aren't the soot and acid rain creating coal plants of 1912 anymore.

It's not just the burning of coal, but the mining of it that is not eco-friendly, the means to transport the product to it's destination. Coal is pretty heavy and not to mention they are gonna build the plant right off of a major River that is very clean compared to the other rivers out here. :rolleyes:

jt04

It's not just the burning of coal, but the mining of it that is not eco-friendly, the means to transport the product to it's destination. Coal is pretty heavy and not to mention they are gonna build the plant right off of a major River that is very clean compared to the other rivers out here. :rolleyes:

What River? Where "out here"?

Rayray

What energy source do you want them to use? I am not saying that coal is the best option (because nuclear is most assuredly the best), but solar power would from photovoltaics and wind farms probably don't make nearly enough power compared to this coal plant . I know it is unfortunate, but so many of the alternative energy sources don't work everywhere.

If there is a river, maybe a dam?;)

I am glad to here Disney is at least trying to conserve, but natural gas provides ample CO2 in its combustion. It is better than nothing by a lot, though.

WhyteAL

What River? Where "out here"?

Out here in Florida...were else :D (like if there was any other "out here" :hammer:) LOL

I am not sure as to where the river is located or even that Disney is involved with the construction of the plant. But I did read the article either on a local news site or paper. Where they began by making distictions between what the sediment and aquatic life was at wikiwachi springs (idk if spelling is right) before some sort of chemical or plastic plant was constructed and the after effects of the the river and it's surrounding area. And then the article went to mention about the coal plant that was on the drawing boards for an area close by and how it might affect the local river it is near as well. It is all around the central Florida area. (Orlando, Kissimee, Lakeland, etc.)

The rivers in Florida used to be a clean source of fish and wildlife. Many of them have either been diverted into canals or are severely polluted. I have seen pictures of my dad when he arrived in Miami in the 60's, of the Miami River and the water that would dump into the bay was clear. Now it looks like the color or rust...:hurl: .

PhilharMagician

Maybe they will start using Toyota Pruis's to move guests around.:lookaroun

Really, maybe they will go to a hybrid bus that is powered by primarily by LP and just move away from diesel all together. In NYC and most likely many other major cities are seeing hybrid busses showing up and they are successful at reduce fuel consumtion and emmisions.

Disney could also look into PV (solar) as an alternative. They definately could not power the entire resort, but could offset some of their consumption. Another idea would be geothermal. I have to assume that nearly 50% of the electric energy consumed at WDW is for A/C. Geothermal could take a huge load off of that.

In Cali @ DL, PV would work great because of the never ending clear skies.

WhyteAL

What energy source do you want them to use? I am not saying that coal is the best option (because nuclear is most assuredly the best), but solar power would from photovoltaics and wind farms probably don't make nearly enough power compared to this coal plant . I know it is unfortunate, but so many of the alternative energy sources don't work everywhere.

If there is a river, maybe a dam?;)

I am glad to here Disney is at least trying to conserve, but natural gas provides ample CO2 in its combustion. It is better than nothing by a lot, though.

From my understanding Nuclear is only the best in the form of a short term solution...because all the nuclear by product needs to be put away for thousands of years...and were do we store all this nuclear waste, underground and in Florida underground means our drinking water. The canals off of Turkey Point (south florida's nuclear power plant) are visible from space and astronauts say they are visible at night because of the phosphorent color they give off at night. That surely is not safe.

Now what should be done IDK i'm not an enginer or even close to one. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...:D

I just think that sometimes we maybe need to go the extra mile...not sayin that disney dosen't, just sayin that sometimes we owe it to ourselves to maybe deal with 1 or 2 inconviences. Just for the sake of doing what is right by our home...thats all. But if you have better ideas pass them along...:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom