Disney World Buses Go Green

Rayray

Global Warming = Political Waste.:hurl:

We shouldn't blame it for all of our problems. We don't even know if it exists. Very controversial in the science community.

Regardless, more efficiency and cleaner waste is never a bad thing, as long as it lives up to its reputation.

JEANYLASER

That's is a great idea for the Walt Disney World Buses go Green.

" Any one is Connected in the Circle Of Life"
The Lion King

WhyteAL

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: If the canals "glow" it is NOT form nuclear waste. That has got to be greenie propaganda. Nuclear waste having to be put away for 1000's of years ASSUMES no means will be developed to deal with it in the future. Highly Unlikely! Wind, Nuclear, Clean Coal and Green Buses good. Solar cells, not so good (for now!)

I am not sure if the canals "glow" has anything to do with radiation or what not, and for the most part I cannot remember were I read that. But it was at the least 5 or more years ago and I think it might have been in a mag like popsci or popmech or maybe even New Scientist but I don't remember sorry if not I would tell you the source. I will try to look into it further and if any pm you guys were I read it.

My problem is not that human ingenuity will not at some point come up with a way to handle Nuclear waste at the Yuca Mountain facility in Nevada. My problem is that the same people who handle the war in Iraq, Katrina, Global Warming, Durfur, walter reid, the uninvolvment in Rwanda, the used tire reef off of Ft. Lauderdale, the Somalia mess, etc...are the same people that will handle the Yuca Mountain facility and the same people that will be separating money according to the needs of there constiuents. It is IMO that where money and power are involved priorites are not clearly defined and proper action is not taken. That is why the storage of nuclear waste underneath the earth with the "out of site out of mind" mentality is dangerous and I am not sure I trust these folks to screaw up my childrens childrens future with beuracrecies. :rolleyes:

Sorry to stray off course...but this is the reason I enjoy Disney so much there was a point in history where Disney was more than just a family park, more than an escape from reality. They helped shape modern America with "innovations" and used their resources to reach the masses. When the US space program decided that it was time to go to the moon back in the 50's and 60's Disney went along with the program not just for the money involved (which that might have been the driving force behind it) but they showed on the Wonderful World of Disney, with Uncle Walt demonstrating to us what we were doing, how it was moving along, what were the problems, and what solutions we would come up with to deal with the problems at hand. This was IMO one major factor as to why the whole country was completely behind the space program. It was show to them on a regular, explained to them in a form they could understand. Now if this nuclear material is buried like Davy Jones heart would we be able to find it and take care of the problem just in time? and are you willing to risk your future generations offspring because of that? (hey Disney pirate analogy for Disney site at least I tried to keep it Disney:) )

OK now I am done sorry to bore you guys with this...I will keep the rest of my posts on topic.

So OK Green buses good step forward.

Diztechie

Biofuels?

I may be mistaken, and someone with more direct insight may be able to provide more information, but I noted earlier in the year that the trains in WDW were converting to biodiesel, with significant savings in terms of fuel costs and large numbers in reduced emissions. If I'm not mistaken, the fuel is orange instead of the gray-green diesel color.

As I sat at one of the bus stops, I noticed a fuel door on one bus, around the center of the bus, marked something like "Alternate Fuel" or "Other Fuel", I can't remember. It was a diesel bus, which would make me believe that they are already testing biodiesel in the buses, since little or no modification is required. The door (looks like a regular fuel door) is on the passenger side of the bus. If anyone is there, you might check on that and ask the questions that I failed to ask.

Rayray

I am not sure if the canals "glow" has anything to do with radiation or what not, and for the most part I cannot remember were I read that. But it was at the least 5 or more years ago and I think it might have been in a mag like popsci or popmech or maybe even New Scientist but I don't remember sorry if not I would tell you the source. I will try to look into it further and if any pm you guys were I read it.

My problem is not that human ingenuity will not at some point come up with a way to handle Nuclear waste at the Yuca Mountain facility in Nevada. My problem is that the same people who handle the war in Iraq, Katrina, Global Warming, Durfur, walter reid, the uninvolvment in Rwanda, the used tire reef off of Ft. Lauderdale, the Somalia mess, etc...are the same people that will handle the Yuca Mountain facility and the same people that will be separating money according to the needs of there constiuents. It is IMO that where money and power are involved priorites are not clearly defined and proper action is not taken. That is why the storage of nuclear waste underneath the earth with the "out of site out of mind" mentality is dangerous and I am not sure I trust these folks to screaw up my childrens childrens future with beuracrecies. :rolleyes:

Sorry to stray off course...but this is the reason I enjoy Disney so much there was a point in history where Disney was more than just a family park, more than an escape from reality. They helped shape modern America with "innovations" and used their resources to reach the masses. When the US space program decided that it was time to go to the moon back in the 50's and 60's Disney went along with the program not just for the money involved (which that might have been the driving force behind it) but they showed on the Wonderful World of Disney, with Uncle Walt demonstrating to us what we were doing, how it was moving along, what were the problems, and what solutions we would come up with to deal with the problems at hand. This was IMO one major factor as to why the whole country was completely behind the space program. It was show to them on a regular, explained to them in a form they could understand. Now if this nuclear material is buried like Davy Jones heart would we be able to find it and take care of the problem just in time? and are you willing to risk your future generations offspring because of that? (hey Disney pirate analogy for Disney site at least I tried to keep it Disney:) )

OK now I am done sorry to bore you guys with this...I will keep the rest of my posts on topic.

So OK Green buses good step forward.

Thankfully, politicians don't build the Nuke plants and waste storage facilities on their own. And things can be explained, but only to a degree. The reason people cringe from hearing nuclear power is because the mishandled use of the term by "less than exceptable media venues." Don't get me wrong, the stuff is majorly dangerous in the wrong hands, but the US is more than capable of handling it. What could be more dangerous, though, is not relying on nuclear energy when its efficient and relatively clean, except for nuclear waste (which can be stored properly. Like I said earlier, that should never be the reason Nuclear Power isn't used.).

RiversideBunny

When I was growing up all the buses in our town were painted green.
It was a two-tone paint job, light green on the top and dark green on the bottom.
I don't think they were nuclear, though.
Just gasoline powered.

:)

nbodyhome

Back to the topic...yes there was a hybrid Gillig bus on property a couple of months ago for testing. The Gillig company (GM) sent it to Disney to see how they liked it. Some of you may have seen it, it was black and of course had all kinds of advertising on the side touting the fact that it was a hybrid. I do know that they couldn't test it at the Magic Kingdom because it was too tall to fit under the monorail beam in the north loop. This particular model bus is really tall,

I took photos of this bus for my own website, it was a VERY nice bus (I didn't expect so many people to have an interest in it). The drivers seemed to really like the hybrid as well, saying it was nicer to drive.

Of course, it'd have to be fitted to Disney specs, but the one that was being tested had cushion seats and such. I haven't heard if they will be getting more or not.

Denise

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom