Disney World Buses Go Green

PeeplMoovr

Ummm, modern coal power plants with emission control devices and systems are very clean. Unless you're talking CO2 emissions in which case the only viable alternative is a nuclear power plant. These aren't the soot and acid rain creating coal plants of 1912 anymore.

I know enough about the proposed plant to stand by my post, although I do certainly welcome your comments. As far as modern coal plants being "very clean", we'll just have to agree to disagree here. There is little out there I believe is further from the truth. While this isn't a 1912 coal plant, it's also not using the most advanced known technologies. And in the end, it's still a coal plant, along with all the incidentals that go along with that.

And I do understand about a lack of presently working viable alternatives in existence. But part of my post was meant to (although I admit I didn't do it well) point out that Disney has been an innovator in so many areas, perhaps they can take a leadership position in working to supply the WDW resort area with renewable resources wherever possible, and by whatever means. They have the resources and the networks to begin doing this, and hopefully we'll see them move in this direction (a la the Energy Pavilion's energy-efficient build, etc.). If that means investing heavily in solar, wind, or some other source of energy to run WDW, I believe as a fan and stockholder they should do so.

The green busses are a start, and I'm excited about that.

(By the way, the River the coal plant is to be build next to is the Fenholloway, one of the most polluted rivers in the nation. And the plant will be adjacent to one of the more polluting industries in Florida - a pulp mill. I'm hoping Disney backs out of this proposal in keeping with their "Conservation minded" philosophies.)

WDWGuide

As somebody who works in a field related to this topic, it's nice to see such a healthy, flame-free discussion going on. :)

There are some amazing ideas out there to come to terms with the reconciliation of environmental sustainability, carbon neutrality and maintenance of quality of life. Sadly, the legislative framework to encourage implementation doesn't exist is many states as of yet (especially Florida), so it's good to see that companies like Disney take at least some symbolic steps in the right direction to illustrate to a skeptical public that innovative transportation and energy supply/distribution concepts can be viable and reliable.

Edit: Wind is not really feasible for central Florida - we just don't have much of it for most of the year. Solar works quite well, but Florida's laws aren't currently very solar friendly (no reasonable net metering, for instance).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Didn't Disney already purchase a hybrid bus several months ago and test it by shadowing the existing buses to compare fuel usage?

jt04

Future Energy

Solar and wind are not practical as non-polluting sources in Florida. Too many clouds not enough wind. There are no wind farms or large scale solar plants in the Southeast because of that! Clean coal is real and it is going to be part of the solution in the future. Personally I believe Nuclear is the best energy source for the next 25 years. That and I want one of these on my house http://www.magturbine.com/ Very cool!:D

This site even references the People Mover in TL. Excellent!

WhyteAL

(By the way, the River the coal plant is to be build next to is the Fenholloway, one of the most polluted rivers in the nation. And the plant will be adjacent to one of the more polluting industries in Florida - a pulp mill. I'm hoping Disney backs out of this proposal in keeping with their "Conservation minded" philosophies.)

Thanks I couldn't remember the name of the river and the pulp mill.

And it is good we are having this flame free discussion...

:sohappy:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
:ROFLOL: WOW you must have a vast property...only 100 acres required!!!:D Too bad they cannot just harness the positive energy the happy guests emit!!!;)

WhyteAL

Solar and wind are not practical as non-polluting sources in Florida. Too many clouds not enough wind. There are no wind farms or large scale solar plants in the Southeast because of that! Clean coal is real and it is going to be part of the solution in the future. Personally I believe Nuclear is the best energy source for the next 25 years. That and I want one of these on my house http://www.magturbine.com/ Very cool!:D

Holy crap...that is freaking cool...:cool:

Right on the very tip of my house to really irritate my association...LOL

I think Mr. Moon Lander jt04 (like your avater too!, is that the actual model? do you own it?) that maybe with enough ingenuity we can mine helium 3..."Jack" Schmitt (spelling?) has been seriously trying to push the space program and the nation in that direction. I think I have even seen him talking about it on either discovery or history channel. I have seen some good ideas as well in generating power off of wave movement. Similar to wind farm just underwater.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Are you sure? Try asking Kermit!:hammer:

:lol: Poor little guy.....

Seriously if people educated themselves on alternative products to replace the ones they have used because their parents did or because they like the pretty packaging and the smell it would have a great impact on getting the chemically driven producers to find better solutions themselves to make a profit.

The Chlorine used releasing Dioxins in our air from those said paper mills could be drastically reduced if people gave up the concept of white paper products are always best....as in paper towels, toilet paper, diapers,...etc. I have read in Germany they do not allow over the counter sales of ANY cleaning products with chlorine in them, and that their swimmers coming over here for competition refused to compete til an alternate thing was used to make the pools chlorine free. :lookaroun

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
and....promise I am getting down from my soapbox....Chlorine like many of the other new chemicals used in public goods was invented for a weapon during war.....Chlorine Gas....cheap to make why not use it in cleaning products?:dazzle:

WhyteAL

Seriously if people educated themselves on alternative products to replace the ones they have used because their parents did or because they like the pretty packaging and the smell it would have a great impact on getting the chemically driven producers to find better solutions themselves to make a profit.

The Chlorine used releasing Dioxins... :lookaroun

Dioxins? Isn't that the poison gas the Jedi's (Qui Gon, Obi Wan) had to hold there breath to get away from in the opening scenes of Episode I...:lol:

LOL sorry just a nerdy starwars reference....

I agree with you whats the big difference white toliet paper brown or toliet paper the both end up crappy anyways...:lookaroun

OK sorry we now continue are regulary schedualed thread.

jt04

:lol: Poor little guy.....

The Chlorine used releasing Dioxins in our air from those said paper mills could be drastically reduced if people gave up the concept of white paper products are always best....as in paper towels, toilet paper, diapers,...etc. I have read in Germany they do not allow over the counter sales of ANY cleaning products with chlorine in them, and that their swimmers coming over here for competition refused to compete til an alternate thing was used to make the pools chlorine free. :lookaroun

Yeah well the Germans also breath Radon gas on purpose because they say it is good for you so I am not sure we want to copy them on everything. But I am inspired buy their new SE vision though!:)

PeeplMoovr

Solar and wind are not practical as non-polluting sources in Florida. Too many clouds. Clean coal is real and it is going to be part of the solution in the future.

Cool machine.

I've often heard it said that Florida isn't a candidate for solar, but haven't read anything where trials have been conducted by independent orgs and have failed, or anything else to back that up. Most of what I read says exactly the opposite - that solar is working very well in places like Germany or otherwise that receive much less sunlight than Florida does, and Florida is a great candidate for solar, even if done in smaller solar farms than exist out West. If you can point me in the direction of places where info contradicts this, I'd like to take a look. (Not being argumentative, just curious).

And as far as "clean" coal - perhaps in some places the political climate will allow for coal plants to be built. I hope that doesn't include Florida. In today's Florida, with our new governor coming down hard against the building of coal plants, it doesn't appear likely that any will be built. So while it may be a solution in some places, it'll either take a complete about-face by the governor or a change in administration in the state.

I do like the idea of generating power out of people's smiles from another poster. Disney should be able to harness that and run for years to come.

Can you run a park on "Magic"? :)

Rayray

and....promise I am getting down from my soapbox....Chlorine like many of the other new chemicals used in public goods was invented for a weapon during war.....Chlorine Gas....cheap to make why not use it in cleaning products?:dazzle:

Chlorine... the dangerous element... found in its pure form of CL2. But what about other forms... look no further than NaCl, sodium chloride. This scary potion is known by most commoners as ... dum dum dahhhh........
TABLE SALT.

jt04

Cool machine.

I've often heard it said that Florida isn't a candidate for solar, but haven't read anything where trials have been conducted by independent orgs and have failed, or anything else to back that up. Most of what I read says exactly the opposite - that solar is working very well in places like Germany or otherwise that receive much less sunlight than Florida does, and Florida is a great candidate for solar, even if done in smaller solar farms than exist out West. If you can point me in the direction of places where info contradicts this, I'd like to take a look. (Not being argumentative, just curious).

And as far as "clean" coal - perhaps in some places the political climate will allow for coal plants to be built. I hope that doesn't include Florida. In today's Florida, with our new governor coming down hard against the building of coal plants, it doesn't appear likely that any will be built. So while it may be a solution in some places, it'll either take a complete about-face by the governor or a change in administration in the state.

I do like the idea of generating power out of people's smiles from another poster. Disney should be able to harness that and run for years to come.

Can you run a park on "Magic"? :)

Unless there are major breakthroughs in Solar Cell efficiency, it will remain an expensive solution. The taxpayers in Germany are paying a huge amount to subsidize putting solar cells in southern Germany and it will still only provide a small % of their needs. They are all over the place in south Germany and would not be practical for the states at this time. There are a ton of good web sites that explain all this. There is no "magic" solution. Have you bought any Solar panels yet?:shrug:

erasure fan1

I might be crazy but doesnt the universe of energy run off part solar? Except at night or cloudy times. I would think that if Disney wanted to they could do that more across the parks.

Rayray

From my understanding Nuclear is only the best in the form of a short term solution...because all the nuclear by product needs to be put away for thousands of years...and were do we store all this nuclear waste, underground and in Florida underground means our drinking water. The canals off of Turkey Point (south florida's nuclear power plant) are visible from space and astronauts say they are visible at night because of the phosphorent color they give off at night. That surely is not safe.

Now what should be done IDK i'm not an enginer or even close to one. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...:D

I just think that sometimes we maybe need to go the extra mile...not sayin that disney dosen't, just sayin that sometimes we owe it to ourselves to maybe deal with 1 or 2 inconviences. Just for the sake of doing what is right by our home...thats all. But if you have better ideas pass them along...:wave:

I am a Mechanical Engineer Undergrad, and though I am not an expert on every energy situation, I do know that Nuclear Energy is cleaner and more efficient than most. It does produce nuclear waste, but releases only steam in the mass to energy conversion process and is extremely effecient compared to other forms of harnessing energy. The nuclear waste can be contained... that does not need to be the factor in deciding. Plus, the current technology is much safer than what has failed drastically in the past.

Also, hybrid busses sound interesting. I'm not sure how much more efficient it would really be because of the extremely large weight of a bus. I know they exist, but does anyone have any specs on them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom