Disney World airstrip project?

Driver

Why? It isn't THAT close. It's almost 500 feet away at the closest point to the runway edge. There are buildings at MIA closer to the north runway than that and large commercial airliners use that runway every day. There aren't many (or any) incidents where a plane was misaligned with a runway that badly that an obstacle off to the side would come into play. Landing on a taxiway has happened but not shooting for the runway and missing the center by several hundred feet.

It doesn't really matter because they are not going to reopen the airstrip. There is no need. For faster travel, executives could fly into MCO and take a helicopter from there. They could easily put a helipad on the old airstrip or somewhere else on site.
There already is a Helipad behind EPCOT near the LAND & SEAS backstage.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Plane hits trees, too bad for the passangers. Plane hits a monorail full of guests, thats a different story all together. You also cant assure that a monorail could be held if an emergency landing is in process

asianway

I need help with this one, and I'm not a pilot.

View attachment 282694

First, I think it's highly doubtful that the airstrip will open back up. That being said, I don't see how the monorail, which is below the tree line and a good bit away, would be a problem.

If the Monorail is a problem then wouldn't all of those trees be a problem first and, while I could see them mowing some of them down, I remember there always being a "tree border" between the road and the runway. I don't ever remember being able to look directly over at the runway.

Second, while not on the ground the Monorail isn't particularly high up in the air here. To me it'd be like planes not being able to land at major airports because there's a parking garage within 1mi of the runway.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but I just don't see how the Monorail would have any sort of impact... Unless the lights on the top of the Monorail are too close and could be seen as confusing the pilot in adverse conditions.
I believe the EPCOT monorail effectively revoked their landing permits. @marni1971 ?

NelsonRD

Part of me wants so much to see where we could take this rumor, like Disney is secretly dealing with the FAA to reestablish the STOL airsrtip as a exclusive access for the 0.000000000001% using golden Learjet's bought using the revenue from hotel parking...

But man seeing you guys work your magic to keep the truth is just too dang admirable!

I think it would much, much more popular than you think. Many people have private pilot licenses, and can rent a plane from their aeroclub.

38053WDW

Has that even been used at all since United Techonologies' logo was water or sand blasted off the pad?

Kinda can still make it out -

Attachments

• ut111.JPG
    ut111.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 163
  • ut11d.png
    ut11d.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 152

drwadadli

is reporting about this permit too but unfortunately they don't mention anything about Project 89 and therefore makes their article a little misleading about what this STOLPort site will be used for.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I see this as a missed opportunity... to mess with other Disney sites that tend to run things unchecked or just flat-out lifted from WDWMagic. ;) :cool:

"Permits filed to re-open STOLPort..."
"STOLPort to be used again..."

Watch them pick it up and then... BOOM. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom