Disney worker deported to Haiti for murder!!!!!!!!!

BuzzLite_Fran

Original Poster
I FOUND THIS ARTICLE ON CNN.COM PRETTY DISTURBING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
********************************************************** :mad: :mad: :mad:

Disney worker deported to Haiti for massacre
Friday, January 16, 2004 Posted: 5:32 PM EST (2232 GMT

MIAMI, Florida (Reuters) -- A former Haitian military chief who worked on tourist boats at Florida's Disney World for five years was arrested for deportation to Haiti, where he is wanted for murder, U.S. authorities said Thursday.

Jean-Claude Duperval was assistant commander in chief of the Haitian army during the bloody military dictatorship of the early 1990s.

He was convicted in absentia of murder in November 2000 and sentenced to life in prison for his role in one of Haiti's most notorious massacres.

"The arrest is a historic victory for those fighting for justice in Haiti and for the effort to ensure that the U.S. is not a safe haven for human rights violators," said Brian Concannon, a U.S. lawyer who prosecuted those accused in the massacre for the Haitian government.

The U.S. Immigration Board of Appeals denied Duperval's final appeal on January 7, allowing immigration officials to deport him. He was arrested at his Orlando home Wednesday and was being held in the Orange County Jail.

"He will probably be deported immediately," said Pam McCullough, a spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Tampa.

Concannon said Duperval is the highest ranking of four high command members arrested in Florida in the last few years. Two have been returned to Haiti.

Duperval was convicted in an April 1994 rampage by soldiers and paramilitaries through the seaside slum of Raboteau in the city of Gonaives. About 25 men, women and children were killed.

Human rights groups estimate that 3,000 people were killed in the three years the military ruled Haiti, from the ouster of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1991 to his restoration by a U.S.-led military intervention force in 1994.

Duperval worked in the watercraft division at Disney World in central Florida from 1997 to 2002, said Rena Langley, a spokeswoman for the tourist attraction.

"He was considered a good employee," she said. "We had no knowledge of his background while he was here."

She declined to say if Duperval resigned or was dismissed.

BuzzLite_Fran

Original Poster
Yes careship i can read it was in January, however i did not know that this subject had already been covered, saw the story and tought i would share it with everyone, i dont have all the day in the world to search to see if a topic has already been covered 5 months ago so you will have to forgive my post i guess :zipit:

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Disney knew nothing about his background? ARE there any background checks at all in that case? I mean, don't they look into legal citizenship and the like. You would like to think that after 9/11 that the policies and procedures for checking citizenship would have been tightened a great deal. But if you take that statement to heart, then obviously not.

Just my take.

peter11435

HennieBogan1966 said:
Disney knew nothing about his background? ARE there any background checks at all in that case? I mean, don't they look into legal citizenship and the like. You would like to think that after 9/11 that the policies and procedures for checking citizenship would have been tightened a great deal. But if you take that statement to heart, then obviously not.

Just my take.
The reality is that the US government knew nothing of his background either. That’s why it took so long for him to be deported to Haiti. Even had Disney known he was a Haitian citizen, there would have been no reason not to hire him. You can't really blame Disney for this, but rather the government for not catching it sooner.

BrerPete

You can't blame anyone for something like this, other than the guy himself. You must remember that the U.S. is really the only country that pays attention to everything. The rest of the world does not follow the same laws and morals. (Surprising however that everyone is always bashing us)

That's why I love Epcot. I can visit several foreign countries without ever leaving the United States. No passports, no shots, no revolutions. :sohappy:

wolf29

The story was news to me, so thanks & welcome.This guy was obviously here before 9/11, back when it was much easier to gain entry into the US. Since this Country's beginning, how many crininals of come here from other places? It is impossible for any company to have a complete background check into anyone in the world. He had to be a US citizen if he was on Disney's payroll did he not? This kind of thing happens all the time, sometimes with people in much more sensitive positions than operating a Disney ride.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
So What?

Why does nonsense like this always make news, and often discussions here. It's no big deal that there was a murder or two this week in Philly, or that we had a big drug bust locally...rapes, robbery, general villiany, always. Orlando proper has its share. So why are we surprised when individuals of a 50+ thousand person population run afoul of the law? It is so in vogue to look at these behaviors of a handful per year as being an indication of things going downhill?

This is about as fair as a Michael Moore movie (but at least he admits his bias)

slappy magoo

I understand Joel Steinberg has a gig working Child Care Services at the Polynesian waiting for him, if he wants it.

Oh, and Bernard Goetz is going to be working the monorail.

And John Hinckley was offered, upon release, a gig cleaning up in the Hall of Presidents. He will not be allowed to go to Fort Wilderness, however, if the nightly movie is Freaky Friday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom