Disney With A 15 Month Old?

JohnnyDollaz89

Wife and I just booked our next trip, and first with our son who will be 15 months old next March, for March 25-April 1st.

Was wondering what rides he would be able to go on with us? Like can he sit between us or on our lap for Toy Story Mania or Buzz Lightyear? I know we can take him on rides like Small World and Frozen, but wondering what else?

Has anybody gone down with a kid that young? How was your experience?

JohnnyDollaz89

Original Poster
Also, we have the Deluxe Dining Plan so we can do 3 sit downs a day. What character breakfasts and dinners do you guys recommend? We want our son to meet as many characters as he can.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

In the MK, he can go on The Walt Disney World Train, Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Cruise, Prince Charming Carousel, Dumbo and It's a Small World. In Epcot, he can ride Living with the Land and Nemo and Friends . In Animal Kingdom he can do Kilimanjaro Safari. Have a Magical Trip!
As far as Character meals, I would do The Crystal Palace in the MK for Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Chef Mickey's Buffet at the Contemporary, Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House at the AK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disvillain63

At MK, he can do Peter Pan, the carousel, Little Mermaid, Buzz Lightyear, Astor Orbiter, Peoplemover, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Teacups, Magic Carpets, shows, Haunted Mansion, riverboat too.

At Epcot, he can do Journey, Spaceship Earth, the play area on Mission to Mars, Mexico, and Frozen.

In DHS, he can ride Toy Story, Great Movie Ride, and do the various shows.

AK has the train to Rafiki's, Tough to be a Bug, Triceratops Spin, paths with animals, and a few shows.

He will ride on your lap or sit between you on the rides.

We took our grandkids when they were 12 mos. and 22 mos. They enjoyed the sounds, colors, lighting, etc... A few tears in the stretch room on HM, but once the door opened they were fine through the ride.

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

Our last two trips have been with babies in tow (a 14 month old one trip and a 9 month old for another, oh and a one day trip with a 17 month old.) From those trips I can give these words of wisdom:

1. We loved getting to have one of the boys have their first haircut at the barber shop on main street and it is really reasonable (when you consider that it is disney) but make sure to make an appointment

2. The babies loved seeing the fab five (mickey, minnie, donald, goofy, pluto) and the friends from the 100 acre woods (pooh, piglet, Eeyore, tigger) so I would say your best bets for character dining are breakfast at one of the following: cape may cafe, ohana, tusker house or chef mickey's or dinner at garden grill and then any meal at crystal palace. My kids both disliked face characters when they were little like that. I guess stranger danger has set in by then so the princesses and alice and mary poppins did not go over well. For that reason you may not have a great time at cinderellas royal table, akershus or 1900 park fare. If your child watches a lot of disney jr then you could head over to hollywood and vine for lunch as well. Before booking all of those though- head to chuck e cheese and see how he reacts to the rat. He might like Mickey better but it would be horrible to have a ton of character meals planned and find out at the first one that he refuses to eat as long as one of those big headed animals is circling him like prey.

3. You can absolutely have your child sit between you and your s/o for any ride that does not have a ride restriction. For that reason the only rides you can't do are the mountains, kali, stitch, dinosaur, primeval whirl, soarin, mission space, test track, rockin roller coaster, tower of terror, star tours, barnstormer, and seven dwarfs mine train. I may have left one off but I can't place it right now.

4. At that age kids are definitely looking to you to know how to react to things. If you are nervous about how they are going to react they are very likely to react negatively because they see you scared. I always show the kids that things are fun and funny when we are at the park. As a result my kids are all sure that the alien on great movie ride has a bad cold, the ghosts on haunted mansion are running from their own farts (they're boys, what can I say!) or are playing the worlds best game of hide and seek together. This doesn't guarantee that they won't freak out (one time my oldest snuck a horror movie right before a trip and that made his little brother a nervous wreck every time the lights were low) but you have a much better chance of keeping them light hearted if you are very openly that way.

5. At that age it will be very important that your little one gets to let out some wiggles. It'll feel like the world's most expensive playground but really utilize that waiting area at dumbo, the playground under splash mountain, the boneyard, mission space's holding area, the exit to figment, etc. If you are the adventurous sort you can even add casey jrs splash pad.

6. If you aren't sure if your little one likes shows you should start with finding nemo at ak. While it isn't one you should get up to walk out of, it is the show that comes across as larger than life so if that doesn't hold attention then none of them will!

7. The train, the monorail, the tta, the ferry, the tram, the bus and the excursion train to rafiki's planet watch may well be the favorite "rides" of your little one.

Best of luck!

Upvote 0

smi727

We took our oldest at 13 months & our 2nd at 15 months. At that age, our girls weren't big fans of the furry characters despite being very familiar with Mickey & friends. We utilized the "hold baby & back in" technique to get pics & made sure we placed the high chair where a character couldn't come up from behind & startle the baby. Both girls loved face characters so we have lots of pics with princesses. We spent time in all of the play areas at each park. Our girls napped in the stroller so we didn't go back to the hotel for a break. We made sure we were out of the parks between 7 & 8 so we could stick to a normal-ish bedtime of 8:30 or 9. Our trips were absolutely fantastic & we made memories my husband & I will treasure forever. I wouldn't hesitate to take a baby that age again.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

TSMM might be a stretch. The quick spins may not do so good for his neck, they won't recognize the need to brace the same way we do. But at the same point, our 13mo loved the tea cups, but he was the only one trying to spin the cup, so it's not quite the same. ; ) MK - Pretty much every thing but the mountains. HM and PoTC may be questionable (darkness, noises, etc) DHS - Great Movie Ride (depending on his tolerance for things in the dark, loud noises, etc) and the shows. AK - Safari, shows, trails. Epcot - Mexico, Living with The Land, Figment & Spaceship Earth (again, both depend on darkness and noises), Frozen (darkness and drop).

While doing lots of character meals is admirable, be prepared to cancel or ask characters/handlers to stay back. Characters can be very scary and your son's response could vary greatly from character to character. When we sat down at 1900 Park Fare (expecting only face characters) Pooh and Tigger came to our table in minutes. Our poor DS was terrified, but by the end of the meal he was chasing Tigger around, trying to pull his tail. And then 2 days later, he spent 10 minutes dragging Sorcerer Mickey around his photo area, checking out all the mops/buckets and playing (shoulda heard the Awws from the crowd still waiting in line). Definitely suggest starting with face characters and exposing your son to fur from a distance first, and then modify your remaining reservations accordingly.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

My daughter went on TSMM at 6 months old. If it does NOT have a height requirement then he can go on it... It's as simple as that. My daughter has been there at 6 months, 18 months, 2 years and 27 months old. At 2 years old she still sat on our laps for some things, whereas other times she has wanted to sit by herself. From what I can remember at 18 months she wouldn't have been able to see much if she sat on her own, so we definitely did "on the lap" lap seating for most rides!

Upvote 0

JohnnyDollaz89

Original Poster
My daughter went on TSMM at 6 months old. If it does NOT have a height requirement then he can go on it... It's as simple as that. My daughter has been there at 6 months, 18 months, 2 years and 27 months old. At 2 years old she still sat on our laps for some things, whereas other times she has wanted to sit by herself. From what I can remember at 18 months she wouldn't have been able to see much if she sat on her own, so we definitely did "on the lap" lap seating for most rides!

How did she react to TSMM with the quick sharp turns?

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Go on the rides without height requirement
Do rider switch on rides WITH a height requirement
Get battery operated fans for the stroller, and one of those water bottles with a spritzing fan
If he is upset and needs soothing, go somewhere with AC blasting so he's not uncomfortable, or else he'll be upset over whatever was upsetting him and upset because he's hot.
Any of the character meals are great.
Remember to do things on his schedule, not yours.
But at the same time, don't worry so much about doing things specifically to please him. At 15 months he won't remember that you got him to meet any particular characters, but if you take it easy and have a good time, those vibes will resonate through a good chunk of his life. You're really going to get the pictures of him with Mickey and Goofy and Tigger et al.
Take advantage of the deluxe plan to do as many sit down meals as possible. At 15 months, potentially off his routine, none of you might be sleeping well, tired and cranky. So sit down and have a nice meal.

Upvote 0

JohnnyDollaz89

Original Poster
Go on the rides without height requirement
Do rider switch on rides WITH a height requirement
Get battery operated fans for the stroller, and one of those water bottles with a spritzing fan
If he is upset and needs soothing, go somewhere with AC blasting so he's not uncomfortable, or else he'll be upset over whatever was upsetting him and upset because he's hot.
Any of the character meals are great.
Remember to do things on his schedule, not yours.
But at the same time, don't worry so much about doing things specifically to please him. At 15 months he won't remember that you got him to meet any particular characters, but if you take it easy and have a good time, those vibes will resonate through a good chunk of his life. You're really going to get the pictures of him with Mickey and Goofy and Tigger et al.
Take advantage of the deluxe plan to do as many sit down meals as possible. At 15 months, potentially off his routine, none of you might be sleeping well, tired and cranky. So sit down and have a nice meal.

Thanks for the input!

Upvote 0

Boknowsleo

I should have asked this question back in 2010 when my girls were 2 & 5, I wasn't ready for the scare factor. The very first night I took them to dinner at T-Rex. In hindsight it's hilarious now but when it happened I ruined much of the trip for them. Even the Winnie the Pooh ride scared them, lol. :jawdrop:

Upvote 0

JohnnyDollaz89

Original Poster
I should have asked this question back in 2010 when my girls were 2 & 5, I wasn't ready for the scare factor. The very first night I took them to dinner at T-Rex. In hindsight it's hilarious now but when it happened I ruined much of the trip for them. Even the Winnie the Pooh ride scared them, lol. :jawdrop:

Oh no! Lol

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

We took our oldest son when he was 15-months for his 1st trip to WDW. We did his 1st haircut at the barbershop, and I still tear-up thinking about it! But I second the posts that state that if there is NOT a height restriction, you can ride with your son. We did everything, from Haunted Mansion to Kilimanjaro Safari to Pirates. I think we both napped on Ellen's Universe of Energy (or whatever that looong dino ride/show thing is). He loved the Land at Epcot and all the little boat rides like 3 Caballeros and IASW. We absolutely took advantage of rider swap, even though we had my mom to watch him, it allowed for all of us to ride with someone so whoever sat with our son didn't have to ride alone. We somehow scored a nearly private Mickey AND Minnie meet-n-greet coming out of AK. They were standing behind a ticket counter, so unless you turned around, you didn't see them. We just happened to look over and back and saw them and now have the best picture of our son with both Mickey and Minnie. I think that was my favorite trip ever--it was at WDW where I finally decided I was ready to be a parent and 2 years later, we were back and seeing the park with "new" eyes. :)

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I took my oldest at that age, he napped a lot in the stroller, and it was MY first visit.....I have to laugh as I was wary of BTM and SM and offered to stay with the baby to avoid them. NOW? BTM and SM are my all time favorite rides. Ha....I have talked anxious children into riding BTM a few times....and they took my advice and thanked me for it. :D Anyhow, my son enjoyed the haunted mansion and small world, jungle cruise and I think Peter Pan. We told him the skeletons/zombies behind the tombstones were playing peek a boo....;) His next trip he was 6 and was very grumpy arriving on Main Street with a snarky "So whats so magic about this?" of course that changed very quickly...:)

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

One of my kids was scared of rain-forest when he turned about 18 months old. It was like a light switch. We have one 30 minutes from us we go pretty regularly and just all of a sudden he was scared. One day as we walked past it he could hear the thunder and told me the scary time was coming. I told him it is all just flashes like when you get your picture taken and he interpreted that to mean that the thunderstorm is just a lot of pictures. Now all of his little brothers cheese whenever the storm occurs. Worked at T-Rex as well! Just in case you ever have another kid with you who gets frightened.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom