Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Sumrdog

Agreed, there's quite a bit of capacity in Innoventions, the Land, the Living Seas, Wonders of Life, and a couple of other Future World pavilions. I'm sure they wouldn't want to move people in there, but if there's no choice... Fortunately, we don't tend to get severe weather in Florida in January so it's probably not all that much of a concern.

Any idea how many people ended up in Champion Stadium? I didn't figure they'd be able to cram too many people into those corridors.
I was in the corridor of the baseball stadium. There was plenty of space in there but a weird thing happened when I walked in, I sat down along a 6 foot section of empty wall. Another runner came up and asked me to move because she was saving that spot for her friends. I got kind of irritated because there was tons of open space and I saw no need to save seats. So I slid over 6 feet and she told me she was saving that empty spot too. Then I got up and walked to another large open space and sat near some nice ladies. My point is there was tons of room in there and no need to guard a location. But she felt compelled to kick me out of her floor space and she was not nice about it either. She really annoyed me and at that point I was kind of over the whole situation.

Runnin'Gator

We were in 3 separate holding tanks...the building that houses pack pick up, the building that houses the expo, and the baseball field. Also, a lot of people were staying outside between the 3 buildings, just milling around or sitting on the concrete.
Yeah, I was one of those who was trying to watch the college football games out on the patio of the Jostens Center until they ushered us inside. We ended up on the expo floor under the overhang. I was curious about Champion Stadium because I was at the Florida/Idaho game that got cancelled due to severe weather. We were all in the corridors at Ben Hill Griffin, which seats 90,000. Talk about human beings on top of human beings. Toss in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity and you have an awesome situation. With Champion's capacity I didn't think they would be able to get a lot of people in there.

Texas84

I was in the corridor of the baseball stadium. There was plenty of space in there but a weird thing happened when I walked in, I sat down along a 6 foot section of empty wall. Another runner came up and asked me to move because she was saving that spot for her friends. I got kind of irritated because there was tons of open space and I saw no need to save seats. So I slid over 6 feet and she told me she was saving that empty spot too. Then I got up and walked to another large open space and sat near some nice ladies. My point is there was tons of room in there and no need to guard a location. But she felt compelled to kick me out of her floor space and she was not nice about it either. She really annoyed me and at that point I was kind of over the whole situation.

I would have started speaking Japanese and pretending I didn't speak English.

Phonedave

Let's see, I've run a 5 mile 10K, a 7 mile 10K, and a 2 mile 5K. :facepalm:

Time for a new Garmin. :D

When the USATF certifies a course, they take the absolute shortest route, cutting every corner perfectly - which we all know is almost impossible to do if you are a front runner, and instead are running in a pack. There is a 1/2 marathon near me that has a 1.5 section (on each of two laps) that snakes through a wooded park - its a nature trail about 4 feet wide. It is beautiful to run, but impossible to run "clean" when you are in a crowd. It adds an insane amount of distance. Last time I ran that race, my watch said I was done, and I couldn't even see the finish - it was a good 1/2 mile down the road, make a right turn, and then another 2 blocks to the finish.

-dave

AUPr8Hd

Just picked up my stuff during lunch. I was pleased to see they honored those of us with legacy status with a different colored bib and a "perfect" designation. No silly spatula this year, though. ;) The merch lines were crazy in both buildings and some of the displays looked like they were almost bare. Hopefully they'll be able to keep up with demand. Good luck to everyone running tomorrow, and be sure to take it easy with this crazy weather!

Good to see another Perfect Spatula among the group

Greenlawler

Don't shoot the messenger but a friend of mine ran the W&D this year said he heard from a runDisney person that the race was not shortened due to the potential storms, but the heat. This guy would have no reason to exaggerate or tell anyone a fabrication.
Let me make clear I am not saying I believe this. I am simply curious if anyone else had heard this?

We were there at Disney but not to race, and it was unseasonably hot. Glad we skipped this year, last years flood was enough for me....although I did PR I was just trying to finish asap. ;)

surfsupdon

Don't shoot the messenger but a friend of mine ran the W&D this year said he heard from a runDisney person that the race was not shortened due to the potential storms, but the heat. This guy would have no reason to exaggerate or tell anyone a fabrication.
Let me make clear I am not saying I believe this. I am simply curious if anyone else had heard this?

But it cooled off, I did not think it was that overly hot and humid. I can think of a Tower race and a full marathon that were brutally hot and humid. More specifically that 20th Anniversary Marathon a few years back was ridiculously hot and full sunshine all over.

Greenlawler

But it cooled off, I did not think it was that overly hot and humid. I can think of a Tower race and a full marathon that were brutally hot and humid. More specifically that 20th Anniversary Marathon a few years back was ridiculously hot and full sunshine all over.

Yeah I ran both of those "Heat" years. I ended up in the tent after the 20th anniversary marathon sitting next to the lead singer of Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. We were both suffering from some dehydration.

Sumrdog

I thought it was disgustingly hot and humid...But I live in Montana. I do most of my runs in the 30-50 degree range with 10-20% humidity. So I think it's all in what your used to.

Texas84

He was probably referring to the race already being red flagged for heat (I thought the conditions only warranted a yellow). Probably was part of the discussion, along with getting those back corrals to the party.

So, just my guess:
1) Lightning
2) Party
3) Heat

Mad Stitch

News of a new 10k has been spotted.
img_7430.jpg

FerretAfros

News of a new 10k has been spotted.
img_7430.jpg
And the dates listed would indicate that the 5K will be Thursday, 10K on Friday, and Half on Saturday.

According to rumors swirling, they may be shifting all of the races to the morning (most likely because of the new nighttime stuff in DAK, so they wouldn't have to close the park early), which would kill any interest I have in this race weekend. The unique format was what made it so cool to me; having yet-another daytime race wouldn't be enough to convince me to fly down to Florida for it. Theoretically the Saturday night after party would remain, but would be more of a traditional hard ticket event

I've been on the fence about doing W&D 2016 for a while. A Saturday morning/night challenge would absolutely convince me to do it. A Friday morning/Saturday night challenge might have be down there (though probably only running the Half). A Friday morning/Saturday morning challenge would easily convince me to stay home that weekend. I really hope runDisney knows what they're doing here, but I doubt it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom