Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Sumrdog

I honestly think the decision to evacuate us was in our best interest, even though nothing came of the weather. The radar was quite frightening...They had no way of knowing the clouds would part around us. I was in corral H and we didn't start until 11:05 ish. I think the last corrals were let go around 11:30. So it was definitely a late start. We also had a red flag warning due to heat and humidity and I have to wonder if that didn't play into the decision to shorten it. Had they kept it a half I am sure there would be the people in corral L complaining that they paid for an after party that was almost over when they got there. I certainly don't think Disney can do no wrong but I do believe they considered those people in the last corrals when they decided to shorten the race. Think about those walkers if we had gone the full 13.1 they may not have arrived until 3am and then it took a long time to get thru the finisher chute. They would have had only 30 or so minutes at the party and The party was pretty fun. It was an unfortunate turn of events and no matter how they handled it people are going to be dissapointed

Runnin'Gator

L went off at right around 11:50. I am not sure how many of the people in L were walkers, because everyone around me pretty much just missed the memo on submitting a time, but I'm sure there were some. Another thing that needs to be considered is I'm sure there has to be some sort of contract between Disney and the Orange County Sheriff's Office about the time their deputies are out there. I don't know if there's a contingency written in, but we also don't know that there is not.

I also saw a rumor of downed branches or damage over at Animal Kingdom. Again, don't know if that is true, but we did have some pretty strong winds from an outflow boundary. Seeing that Animal Kingdom has so many trees, it's not inconceivable that there were some downed limbs that would make it especially dangerous to run through that park. Again, no evidence of it, but it's a reasonable possibility. We don't have access to all of the information that the race director used to make his decision.

Texas84

There was lightning all around us and high winds rolled in right before evac. Everything was blown over and it even got a bit chilly. I lived in tornado country in west Texas and that chill is a bad sign. At start there was still lightning in the distance. Sure, nothing really happened, but you don't take chances with lightning. I'm disappointed but OK with the decision. I do feel for the first-timers.

A DJ on the course was telling everyone to submit this time for next year and there would be 6,000 in corral A. :D

I also heard the Savannah Rock and Roll marathon was shortened to a half due to heat.

Tinkerbell 8

This was my first Run Disney race weekend and I've been training for months so I was super excited to complete my first half marathon, however the lightening and winds got really crazy before they forced us inside and I'm glad they kept us inside for a while. I'm also okay with them cutting the race by 6 miles because I wanted to be able to enjoy the after party with my husband and had they not cut the race I would have been done around 3 am (I was in corral K) and getting thru the bag pickup and getting our free drinks I would have had like 20 minutes in the park. I'm looking forward to coming back in February for Princess.

Banzai

Sure sorry to hear about another WnD mess. This sure makes me feel better about all the sign up problems that kept my wife from getting registered and made me defer. On another board, someone claimed to have a CM friend who said that AK was full of downed leaves and some branches and they didn't have enough people clean it up. After last year, I can also see how they would be concerned about the footing over there. I thought it was real slippery there after the rains last year.

Dukeblue1227

I understand what people are saying but they actually made an announcement saying they were NOT shortening the course due to the weather.

I guess I'm just the only person who does not find it a total coincidence they found a way to have runners finish absolutely no later at all whatsoever to the after party. Almost as if they perfectly calculated how to not cause any impact to that.

The 45 minute delay was a great safety precaution. They could have run 13.1 after that delay.

surfsupdon

I agree.
Finished 181 overall and kept up with my fastest pace that I had been training for (sub 7:30 mile) and finished around 7min mile bc the course was short.

I'm okay they evacuated- probs necessary.

Not ok the course was cut short when it didn't have to. Or trim it to a ten miler! But they needed to get the runners to Epcot so their staff had something to do and the runners to spend money.

Even still I did not let it cut my enjoyment. I ran my hardest!! And those Osborne Lights!!! Last time racing thru and it was magnificent like always.

Great event. Of course I'm going back- W&D is MY event!

HRHPrincessAriel

Could they not have made it two options?
1. Run/walk the 1/2 BUT know you would miss the party?
2. Do the shortened route but get to the party?
Is there a place the could have split up? Leave the choice to the runners to make for themselves.

KIsAPrincess

While I don't disagree that they wanted more people at the after party, the impression that I got listening to the announcers while waiting in my corral (Corral I) was that they were trying to use the "you'll get to the after party quicker" as a consolation for the race being shortened. (Again - this is only my take on it).

In texting with a friend prior to the race while we were evacuated, supposedly someone spotted a tornado near by. I am not sure if this really happened or not, because where I was at WWOS, I think there was maybe three sprinkles of rain. And seriously nothing else. The humidity was awful and when we finally got to our corrals the announcement was made about the shortened course and it was followed by very loud booing from the crowd. (And friends in the later corrals said that they didn't even hear the announcement because their speakers went out!) I know that RunDisney was updating their facebook and twitter pages - however with so many people on their phones, I couldn't refresh my feed and didn't get any of the messages. The internet was horrible Saturday night.

The communication plan could have been much better. If the protocol is to delay and evacuate for lightning, then I'm glad they followed it. However - my complaint is that the messaging from Run Disney did not come through very clear. The crowd started moving to be evacuated and no one really knew why at first. Everyone was just following everyone else. When the evacuation was over, it was the same thing - people just started walking. No messages or announcements over any loudspeaker and really, the volunteers had no idea either. I also have concerns that they evacuated people to an open baseball field! If there is inclement weather - why send people to a baseball field??

I think that Run Disney would have been damned if you, damned if you don't with any scenario they chose:
Scenario 1: Run the full half, someone get struck by lightning or die - people upset that their safety wasn't looked out for.
Scenario 2: Cancel the race entirely - people upset that they paid so much and the race was canceled.
Scenario 3: Shorten the race, enjoy time at the after party - people still upset that they didn't get to run a full half when the storm that was threatening broke up prior to hitting us.

I wouldn't want to be in that Race Director's shoes to make that call. I also heard that Osceola Parkway had to be reopened at a certain time, so that was also factored into the decision to shorten the race. (Even after the last person gets through the parkway - there is still cleanup of the roads to get it ready for cars to drive.) Plus the people, policemen, staff, ect. that were not volunteers who were contracted to work for a certain number of hours (the paid ones - not the volunteers.)

I don't know, I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. I trained for a half and it is disappointing that I didn't get to run a full half Saturday night. However, I live in Florida and the weather can be crazy at times. I'm happy that I was able to run, even if it was a shortened course because Disney races are fun. I enjoy the course, the view and the camaraderie of my fellow racers. I can understand and empathize with everyone who was upset because from what I gathered speaking with people while waiting - they put a LOT of money into the trip. Many came from across the country so there is not only the race fee, but airfare, hotel, food, etc. A few people I talked to - this was their first half and this was a big disappointment to them. I understand their feelings and everyone is justified to feel good or bad about the situation.

FerretAfros

Although the weather at WWOS may have been fine, that doesn't mean that it was okay elsewhere. Unlike a rain delay for something like a baseball or football game, a race course covers a huge geographic area, and all conditions must be considered. It's not unusual for it to be sunny in one park and rainy in another (runners complained bout the rain in this year's marathon, but I only saw about 2 minutes of light drizzle all day), so it's completely plausible that the conditions 4 miles away at DAK were much worse than at WWOS

I wasn't there so I can't speak to how they handled the situation, but making these sorts of calls is always difficult. The contingency plans are for a worst-case scenario, and typically lead to less-than-ideal situations; conveying big changes to thousands of people (no matter what the circumstances or venue) is rarely an easy or flawless feat. Nobody wants to cancel the race, but safety is the top concern. Although it wasn't an ideal situation, it sounds like they found a decent compromise

I think that Run Disney would have been damned if you, damned if you don't with any scenario they chose:
Scenario 1: Run the full half, someone get struck by lightning or die - people upset that their safety wasn't looked out for.
Scenario 2: Cancel the race entirely - people upset that they paid so much and the race was canceled.
Scenario 3: Shorten the race, enjoy time at the after party - people still upset that they didn't get to run a full half when the storm that was threatening broke up prior to hitting us.
I think you summed it up perfectly. In addition to the scenarios you outlined, there's another unique feature of the W&D course that may have factored in to the decision: the point-to-point course. Had they cancelled the race entirely, they would have had to bus everybody to Epcot, which would have taken hours and would have just made people even more upset. By allowing a modified race, runners transported themselves to the finish line, and got to feel like they accomplished *something*, even if it wasn't what they were hoping for

Dukeblue1227

If there was a threat of safety regarding lightning or tornadoes for the full course, then they wouldn't have run any of it. The piece they cut out was a down and back that was no more than 2.5 miles from where people actually ran. If there was too much of a threat from a storm to run there, they wouldn't have run at all.

SpectroPhoenix

While I don't disagree that they wanted more people at the after party, the impression that I got listening to the announcers while waiting in my corral (Corral I) was that they were trying to use the "you'll get to the after party quicker" as a consolation for the race being shortened. (Again - this is only my take on it).

In texting with a friend prior to the race while we were evacuated, supposedly someone spotted a tornado near by. I am not sure if this really happened or not, because where I was at WWOS, I think there was maybe three sprinkles of rain. And seriously nothing else. The humidity was awful and when we finally got to our corrals the announcement was made about the shortened course and it was followed by very loud booing from the crowd. (And friends in the later corrals said that they didn't even hear the announcement because their speakers went out!) I know that RunDisney was updating their facebook and twitter pages - however with so many people on their phones, I couldn't refresh my feed and didn't get any of the messages. The internet was horrible Saturday night.

The communication plan could have been much better. If the protocol is to delay and evacuate for lightning, then I'm glad they followed it. However - my complaint is that the messaging from Run Disney did not come through very clear. The crowd started moving to be evacuated and no one really knew why at first. Everyone was just following everyone else. When the evacuation was over, it was the same thing - people just started walking. No messages or announcements over any loudspeaker and really, the volunteers had no idea either. I also have concerns that they evacuated people to an open baseball field! If there is inclement weather - why send people to a baseball field??

I wouldn't want to be in that Race Director's shoes to make that call. I also heard that Osceola Parkway had to be reopened at a certain time, so that was also factored into the decision to shorten the race. (Even after the last person gets through the parkway - there is still cleanup of the roads to get it ready for cars to drive.) Plus the people, policemen, staff, ect. that were not volunteers who were contracted to work for a certain number of hours (the paid ones - not the volunteers.)

I don't know, I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. I trained for a half and it is disappointing that I didn't get to run a full half Saturday night. However, I live in Florida and the weather can be crazy at times. I'm happy that I was able to run, even if it was a shortened course because Disney races are fun. I enjoy the course, the view and the camaraderie of my fellow racers. I can understand and empathize with everyone who was upset because from what I gathered speaking with people while waiting - they put a LOT of money into the trip. Many came from across the country so there is not only the race fee, but airfare, hotel, food, etc. A few people I talked to - this was their first half and this was a big disappointment to them. I understand their feelings and everyone is justified to feel good or bad about the situation.

Amen to everything you said.

It was a rollercoaster of emotions Saturday night. I was first worried that they were going to completely cancel the race, and then relieved when we were walking to our corrals, and then depressed when they told us it was going to be cut short, and then relieved that we would still be running through the Osborne lights, and finally pretty happy when I reached the finish line. I was sad for my dad and my girlfriend since this was their first runDisney race, and my girlfriend's first half marathon, but it was still tons of fun nonetheless.

My final distance ended up being 6.93 miles

Suek

Wow. That's disappointing to hear. I'm training to run my first half next year and I know the, literal, blood sweat and tears that go along with it so I feel for you guys. Your wife should definitely be proud of the journey to get to stand in the starting corrals - despite what happened afterward. I hope Disney will find a way to make amends...

Disney is all about the $$ and that's why the race was shortened so we'd spend our money at the after party. We won't see any refund or discounts. My first run Disney race and also my last. Very disappointing.
Raced supposed to start at 10. At 915 they evacuated all runners due to weather. Forecast showed a storm coming in. Storm passed with nothing actually happening (but again, good to take the safety precaution). Around 10:15 they announced they were all clear and people all lined up again. There was no announcement on the course length until like a 10:40 they said it would only be 7 miles. And they started at 10:45. So a 45 minute delay and the weather never came through so the course was fine, the forecast was fine, they just wanted to get everyone to after party (which turns a ton of money out and is mobbed).

My wife is very proudly wearing her medal today. She worked extremely hard all year, and this was just the ending to a long journey she accomplished already. She ran 12.5 miles two weeks ago so she knows she can do it, but being her first one she was very disappointed. She bought $200 worth of merchandise saying "I did it" that she's all upset about now.

The good news is everyone, absolutely everyone still had a great time. After party was a lot of fun. So most runners were disappointed but it didn't ruin the experience totally despite it.
The merchandise can be returned. I returned
Is there a place the could have split up? Leave the choice to the runners to make for themselves.

Suek

Wow. That's disappointing to hear. I'm training to run my first half next year and I know the, literal, blood sweat and tears that go along with it so I feel for you guys. Your wife should definitely be proud of the journey to get to stand in the starting corrals - despite what happened afterward. I hope Disney will find a way to make amends...

Disney is all about the $$ and that's why the race was shortened so we'd spend our money at the after party. We won't see any refund or discounts. My first run Disney race and also my last. Very disappointing.
Raced supposed to start at 10. At 915 they evacuated all runners due to weather. Forecast showed a storm coming in. Storm passed with nothing actually happening (but again, good to take the safety precaution). Around 10:15 they announced they were all clear and people all lined up again. There was no announcement on the course length until like a 10:40 they said it would only be 7 miles. And they started at 10:45. So a 45 minute delay and the weather never came through so the course was fine, the forecast was fine, they just wanted to get everyone to after party (which turns a ton of money out and is mobbed).

My wife is very proudly wearing her medal today. She worked extremely hard all year, and this was just the ending to a long journey she accomplished already. She ran 12.5 miles two weeks ago so she knows she can do it, but being her first one she was very disappointed. She bought $200 worth of merchandise saying "I did it" that she's all upset about now.

The good news is everyone, absolutely everyone still had a great time. After party was a lot of fun. So most runners were disappointed but it didn't ruin the experience totally despite it.
The merchandise can be returned. I returned

That's what I said. It was about the money.

JillC LI

So sorry it turned out as it did. It's definitely the first time Half Marathon attempters that I feel for. Is there a race local to home that she can enter to complete her goal?

-em

One thing that the 'short course' had over the 'long course' is that if weather did hit there would have been shelter for most runners vs none on Osceola...

dreamfinder

While it stinks that the course was shortened, they do clearly make their weather policies available on the RunDisney site, visible when you register.

Weather

The race will be held rain or shine. If there is lightning in the area, the race will either have a delayed start or, depending on the intensity of the weather, be cancelled. The determination will be made by the Event Management staff.

As a reminder, the registration fees are non-refundable.

The Walt Disney World® Resort Lightning Policy

Event operations will shut down when lightning is 10 miles out from the event areas. Event operations will not resume until the lightning is 10 miles out moving away from the event areas. The Sports Manager will determine this using the Flash to Bang Rule* and weather radar. The Sports Manager will consult with Walt Disney World® Resort Management on a course of action to utilize the operational rain plan, delay the event, or cancel the event.

*Flash to Bang Rule* is applied by measuring the time (in seconds) between a visual lightning "Flash" and hearing the resulting "Bang". This time is then divided by a factor of "5" to obtain distance in miles. For example, 50 seconds between "Flash" and "Bang" divided by "5" equals 10 miles.

Not being there, or even having seen the forecast I have no idea if there was lightening in the area or not, but they have policies in place for safety. And I wouldn't be at all shocked if these were dictated by their insurance policies. I don't think there is any way for them to make everyone happy, but offering a shortened course sounds like a good compromise to me. While it may seem like they have no need to open the roads at whatever o'clock in the morning, their closure permits are only good until a certain point, and once again their insurance policies are most likely pursuant to them having these closures in place. And if nothing else, WDW is good about making sure their Is are doted and Ts are crossed.

HRHPrincessAriel

While it stinks that the course was shortened, they do clearly make their weather policies available on the RunDisney site, visible when you register.

Not being there, or even having seen the forecast I have no idea if there was lightening in the area or not, but they have policies in place for safety. And I wouldn't be at all shocked if these were dictated by their insurance policies. I don't think there is any way for them to make everyone happy, but offering a shortened course sounds like a good compromise to me. While it may seem like they have no need to open the roads at whatever o'clock in the morning, their closure permits are only good until a certain point, and once again their insurance policies are most likely pursuant to them having these closures in place. And if nothing else, WDW is good about making sure their Is are doted and Ts are crossed.
don't bring logic into this. It's all about the $ you know ;-)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom