Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

RunningKoen

Schermafbeelding 2019-07-14 om 20.13.13.png

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
stupid question...i know it's been asked a zillion times before but approximately when do the course maps come out? I'm trying to plan my running costumes based around the park(s) the 10k & half are going through.

HOPEFULLY IT'LL BE THE SAME COURSE AS LAST YEAR!!! 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Rose&Crown

stupid question...i know it's been asked a zillion times before but approximately when do the course maps come out? I'm trying to plan my running costumes based around the park(s) the 10k & half are going through.

HOPEFULLY IT'LL BE THE SAME COURSE AS LAST YEAR!!! 🤞🤞🤞🤞
Last year I recall it was maybe 2 months prior? Really starting to think it’s going to start at WWOS. But I’m hoping it’s the course from last year.

mimefan

FWIW: My volunteer shift for runner direction for the Wine and Dine Half is at DHS between 3:45 and 10:15 am. That gets me in place in park well before the half starts, and likely on a bus back to the volunteer tent by 10 am. With a 16-minute-mile maximum and start times between 5:30 and (rarely as late as) 7 am, that puts the race start probably anywhere but Magic Kingdom (DHS, Epcot, AK, ESPN WWoS all close enough for start). We leave our stations after the sweep, well after the balloon ladies, so my shift is getting out closer to the beginning of a half.

I can't remember a half that didn't go through both Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but I've only been volunteering for four years.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be stationed in SWGE, but more likely I'll be in a parking lot. It would make sense to start at WWoS and run north into the south end of DHS, backstage right into SWGE. The timing seems to put DHS and Epcot near the beginning of the race, not the end. As always, YMMV.

Rteetz

FWIW: My volunteer shift for runner direction for the Wine and Dine Half is at DHS between 3:45 and 10:15 am. That gets me in place in park well before the half starts, and likely on a bus back to the volunteer tent by 10 am. With a 16-minute-mile maximum and start times between 5:30 and (rarely as late as) 7 am, that puts the race start probably anywhere but Magic Kingdom (DHS, Epcot, AK, ESPN WWoS all close enough for start). We leave our stations after the sweep, well after the balloon ladies, so my shift is getting out closer to the beginning of a half.

I can't remember a half that didn't go through both Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but I've only been volunteering for four years.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be stationed in SWGE, but more likely I'll be in a parking lot. It would make sense to start at WWoS and run north into the south end of DHS, backstage right into SWGE. The timing seems to put DHS and Epcot near the beginning of the race, not the end. As always, YMMV.
Wine and dine the last couple years has started in the MK parking lot run to AK, DHS and then finished at Epcot.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

how do you get to be a volunteer? I'm moving to FL next year and if I'm not running (see Princess Half..ever again) I'd love to volunteer.

mimefan

Go to this web page and follow the instructions to create a Volunteer Ambassador account (not the same as your Disney Experience account).

https://www.volunteerambassadorteam.com/

Then keep an eye on each race page for the signup date. The queue opens at noon, usually on a Tuesday several months ahead of the race. Most positions are taken within a couple of hours. You'll get your position in queue, so don't wander off before your estimated time, which can be up to two hours.

Competition for volunteer spots is fierce, since you receive an "appreciation gift" for each shift. Right now you can still waitlist for Wine and Dine this November. Signup for 2019 WDW Marathon will be in September. They have more trouble getting people for the Marathon than other races, so that's a good place to start. The water and Powerade stops are the least favored shifts, so they're the last to fill up.

If for some reason you can't make your shift, please call or email the Volunteer Ambassador staff and let them know as soon as as possible. I've been on shifts where 1/3 to 1/2 of the people just didn't show up, and that can be very difficult for the ones who do.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I have started volunteering for local races - it’s given a fuller perspective to see races as a participant and as a volunteer. My most interesting shift was to be a “chaperone” for the elite winner of a marathon - you have to stay by their side until they are ready/able to take the drug test. The man overseeing us was telling us that it’s usually fairly quick and straightforward with running races, but with other sports it can take HOURS before those selected for drug testing are able to provide a sufficient sample because they get so dehydrated, and the chaperone cannot leave their side until they are ready to be handed off to the anti-doping official.

surfsupdon

Race weekend is coming. Hours were greatly extended thru till Nov 2.

Do we think we will see adjusted park hours for the rest of the week? Parks seem to close so early. When, if ever, will Disney update the park hours calendar?

Figment82

Brutal down here in the south Florida heat

Same here in central Florida. On Sunday, by the time I was able to finally get out the door for a quick 3-miler (only 8:30 or so), the “feels like” was already in the low 90s. Tried to run last night, and that crazy storm that caused the power outage at Disney Springs rolled through. Training in the summer sucks, lol!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom