News Disney will be ending complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel guests and moving to smart devices

jaklgreen

Then don’t use your phone, problem solved. And once again, there is no requirement to use any Apple product.

Saying "then don't use your phone" is not in context of the discussion. I was responding to the person who said that all children should have a phone to carry around the parks. As far as the Apple discussion, the majority of the information about this is about using your Apple watch, as if everyone has one. I really like the magic bands, especially going to the pool and not having to worry about my card or phone laying there unattended while I am in the water. I will use my old magic bands and might buy one if necessary. Why is it common now that when someone expresses their dislike for something or a different opinion, the automatic response from some is "well don't do it/go then". It is very dismissive and this is a discussion board. There would be no discussions if everyone agreed.

lazyboy97o

Saying "then don't use your phone" is not in context of the discussion. I was responding to the person who said that all children should have a phone to carry around the parks. As far as the Apple discussion, the majority of the information about this is about using your Apple watch, as if everyone has one. I really like the magic bands, especially going to the pool and not having to worry about my card or phone laying there unattended while I am in the water. I will use my old magic bands and might buy one if necessary. Why is it common now that when someone expresses their dislike for something or a different opinion, the automatic response from some is "well don't do it/go then". It is very dismissive and this is a discussion board. There would be no discussions if everyone agreed.
Apple is being discussed because they are more restrictive on developer access to hardware and systems than Google. Regardless of your personal thoughts on them, the iPhone is the most popular smartphone and the AppleWatch is the most popular smart watch. This is even more so for the demographics Disney more strongly desires. They’re not going to push a major feature if they cannot do it on Apple devices.

In this case “don’t do it” is the perfect response because you don’t have to do it. It doesn’t mean not going or staying on property, it means just doing things pretty much as you were.

jaklgreen

In this case “don’t do it” is the perfect response because you don’t have to do it. It doesn’t mean not going or staying on property, it means just doing things pretty much as you were.

This sentiment is dismissive. If you don't agree with someone, then please give your counter argument, but everyone needs to please stop saying "well don't go". It is getting really old.

lazyboy97o

This sentiment is dismissive. If you don't agree with someone, then please give your counter argument, but everyone needs to please stop saying "well don't go". It is getting really old.
No, you’re just not paying attention. Nobody said “Don’t go.” If you don’t like the new option then continue to use the one you prefer. You can still use a MagicBand if that is what you like. You can still use a card if that is what you like. You can still use the Android app if that is what you like. It’s like complaining that a business that used to only accept cash is now also accepting credit cards. It would just be dumb to complain that you don’t like using a credit card because you can still pay in cash.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve been asking for a key to the world card pretty much this whole time. I tried the magic bands and didn’t really like them, I prefer to keep my hotel key in my wallet along with my pass.

That being said, it will be nice to have the option of using my phone. Half the time I have to look up my room number on my phone after a long day at the parks anyways! Ha.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Apple is being discussed because they are more restrictive on developer access to hardware and systems than Google. Regardless of your personal thoughts on them, the iPhone is the most popular smartphone and the AppleWatch is the most popular smart watch. This is even more so for the demographics Disney more strongly desires. They’re not going to push a major feature if they cannot do it on Apple devices.

Globally That's not true.
  • Samsung: 58.3 million (21.2% market share)
  • Huawei: 48.5 million (17.6% market share)
  • Apple : 288.2 million (14.3% market share)
  • Xiaomi: 27.5 million (10% market share)
  • OPPO: 22.6 million (8.2% market share)
  • Others: 78.7 million (28.6% market share)
  • Total: 274.8 (100% market share)

Additionally, there's not too much goodwill between the two companies (Disney and Apple) as they are direct competitors for streaming platforms. Remember Iger left the Apple board because of that little fact.

21stamps

Additionally, there's not too much goodwill between the two companies (Disney and Apple) as they are direct competitors for streaming platforms. Remember Iger left the Apple board because of that little fact.

To be fair, how many different phones does Samsung have on the market? I think the iPhone would come out as the most popular phone if you were just comparing specific phones.. not companies.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
To be fair, how many different phones does Samsung have on the market? I think the iPhone would come out as the most popular phone if you were just comparing specific phones.. not companies.

People dont all buy the same phone, even Apple (but they do limit your options severely)

21stamps

People dont all buy the same phone, even Apple (but they do limit your options severely)

I just googled and found this.. I’m shocked. Who is still using an iPhone 7, and why??? 😂😂🤦‍♀️
C9AA47B6-ED2D-481D-9751-E40FD8AEEC8E.png

ifan

In the US - Apple just hit a majority marketshare in smartphones by operating system for the first time ever, so it is true in the US at least (Source: COMSCORE.) Internationally, Apple performs incredibly poorly in poor yet populous nations like India - which distorts these figures as they don't represent the typical Disney visitor. In China, QR codes are all the rage and Disney has entirely different technical and marketing strategies for these markets.

Regardless, it is well known in the developer community that Apple and Android customer's are very different demographics. Apple customers, as whole, tend to be higher earners and spend more on apps and services. The data for this is all publicly available. If you are trying to make money off an app, and you can only choose one platform, you choose iOS/Apple.

The Apple/Disney relationship is a lot more complicated. Iger and Jobs were good friends, and all of the Jobs family wealth is currently from Disney stock via the Pixar Deal. Now that they are competitors and Iger is semi-gone, the relationship won't be the same, but I also wouldn't say they lack goodwill. They've gone from besties to a competitor in one of their many businesses. The same happened with Eric Schmidt of Google leaving Apple's board- and while that relationship definitely soured, Google now pays Apple over $10 billion a year just to have Google search as the default platform on the iPhone. Fascinating how they still both heavily rely on each other while competing elsewhere.

Even Apple's largest competitor, Samsung, is still a top supplier for Apple. Fremenies if you will.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Even Apple's largest competitor, Samsung, is still a top supplier for Apple. Fremenies if you will.

Frankly, as a design architect for a major wireless company, don't have a vested interest in anything but consumers using any smartphone. My numbers reflect the global market, not just the US.

M:SpilotISTC12

I personally hope that key to the world makes a come back. Was a big fan before and have missed it.
I know it was still around. I meant more as the mainstream use around the resort. The time before Magicbands is probably what I miss most. When Key To the World was the way to go you didn't need to rely on your phone to do everything. I'm on vacation I don't want to take out my phone all the time. I probably should have elaborated more on the previous post haha. Give me paper fast passes too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom