News Disney will be ending complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel guests and moving to smart devices

21stamps

Uh, one of my kids uses an iPhone 7 because I’m not spending the $$ to buy both of my teens the latest model of iPhone that costs over $1k?? I’m sure not the only parent who does that.

No need to get offended. I won’t even buy my kid any phone yet, and he won’t be getting the latest most expensive iPhone when he does.. I’m just surprised that such an old phone is the “most used in the world”. I wouldn’t have guessed that.

NelleBelle

No need to get offended. I won’t even buy my kid any phone yet, and he won’t be getting the latest most expensive iPhone when he does.. I’m just surprised that such an old phone is the “most used in the world”. I wouldn’t have guessed that.
No offense but it's as my DH and another poster mentioned, many people can't afford new phones (especially iPhones) so either keep the "new" one they had from a few years ago or buy a used one. The market for used phones is quite large, surprisingly. My oldest still uses my 6+ because it works just fine for what he needs (texting, music and gaming). My boys could frankly care less about whether or not the phone has a great camera (although the oldest is more interested after taking a photography class in H.S. and would like to have a better camera on his phone for quick shots for when he doesn't have his "big" camera). But back to MB controversy 😉

John park hopper

Contemplating going back to a flip as well. Im getting to the point where I really don't want access to what the smart phone gives you access too.
Come join the dark side of flip phones
th.jpeg

Amused to Death

I wish they allowed you to turn in old magic bands for new ones, or there was a way you could get the battery replaced.
This is why the limited edition TragicBands with special music/light capabilities are stupid. And collecting them in numbers even more stupid. Your long range battery is going to go dead and there is nothing you can do about it. And, should you decide to trade or sell, you really can't, because Disney doesn't let you reassign a puck once it's been activated. Crazy, if you think about it, that they're pushing these things as collectibles with limitations like that. Collect the wrist bands, if you must, but don't count on the pucks for anything.

Amused to Death

I have like a dozen or more wristbands. I just pick one of them for us to use. They are all still linked and active so no problem
That's gonna depend on how important on-ride photos or interactive elements are to you, because chances are you've already got dead batteries among your collection. You're okay at touch points, short range doesn't require a battery, but you'll know you've got a dead battery if you don't see your photos popping up on Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, etc. The batteries are supposed to last two years, but there are cases where they've died after a few months, or have been dead right out of the starting gate.

drizgirl

I just googled and found this.. I’m shocked. Who is still using an iPhone 7, and why??? 😂😂🤦‍♀️
View attachment 478130
I use an iphone 7. New smart phones are over $1K. We have multiple smart phones users in our family. Why WOULDN'T we keep using the older ones?

Our carrier does not offer "free" phones. Or even discounted phones. Secret: Free phones aren't free.

When you trade yours in, where do you think it goes? Do you think they go bury it in a landfill somewhere?

doctornick

That's gonna depend on how important on-ride photos or interactive elements are to you, because chances are you've already got dead batteries among your collection. You're okay at touch points, short range doesn't require a battery, but you'll know you've got a dead battery if you don't see your photos popping up on Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, etc. The batteries are supposed to last two years, but there are cases where they've died after a few months, or have been dead right out of the starting gate.

Question for anyone who knows: if you have old magic bands and you want to reuse them, is there any easy way to check if the long range battery is still working? When we finally get around to going again (sometime next year I would think), our most recent MBs will be about 3 years old so they probably will still work but I'd rather be able to check before going on a bunch of rides and assuming that the photos are being taken - we'll probably do Memory Maker - and then end up with them not.

21stamps

I use an iphone 7. New smart phones are over $1K. We have multiple smart phones users in our family. Why WOULDN'T we keep using the older ones?

Our carrier does not offer "free" phones. Or even discounted phones. Secret: Free phones aren't free.

When you trade yours in, where do you think it goes? Do you think they go bury it in a landfill somewhere?

I don’t trade mine in. I’ve been buying outright since the first iPhone. In the beginning because there was no other choice, now because it saves money on my bill, and I hate contracts. I sell the phone every year, and end up coming out ok between all of it.

I understand that not everyone buy the newest phones, I was just simply shocked that the iPhone 7 was the most used phone in the world, in 2019. Maybe some here already knew that, but I didn’t.
I would have actually guessed the SE or the XR, as they were designed as more budget friendly options to appeal to more people and are newer.

21stamps

Which doesn’t change my point at all.

It does when apple specifically came out with cheaper phones to attract a wider audience. I don’t think it’s too out there to think that more people, worldwide, would have bought those as opposed to the 7.

peter11435

Which doesn’t change my point at all.
It doesn’t change your point that smart phones are expensive and it makes sense to use them as long as you can. But, it does make your statement that smart phones cost over $1k incorrect. Especially when LG makes a smart phone that is barely over $100.

21stamps

It doesn’t change your point that smart phones are expensive and it makes sense to use them as long as you can. But, it does make your statement that smart phones cost over $1k incorrect. Especially when LG makes a smart phone that is barely over $100.

I have a conspiracy theory that Apple sets their battery life to decrease as time goes on. 😂. I know it’s probably not true, but I lost a phone once and had to use an old one until the replacement came. The battery felt like it died so quickly.
That said, unless something crazy gets announced in September, I’ll probably keep my latest phone for a couple of years, so I’ll be able to better test my tin foil theory. ;)

Amused to Death

Question for anyone who knows: if you have old magic bands and you want to reuse them, is there any easy way to check if the long range battery is still working?
Visit Guest Services, such as City Hall at the Magic Kingdom, and they'll be able to check for you. You'll have to find the right CM, though, as most are clueless and will tell you that your TragicBands don't have batteries. If someone tries to tell you that, say "nope, wrong answer," and ask them to check with a co-worker. Find a nice CM, and you can even get them to give you a new puck if yours is dead. They'll give you the this is a magical one-time-only favor just for you line, of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom