Disney Wants You To Spend More on Souvenirs?

canuckCM

Interesting article. Ive always sort of thought that Disney theme park gift shops are like the consesion stand at a movie theatre. The price of the ticket to see the movie isnt whats making the money, its the food and drinks they sell that make the profits...

zeroFantasy

Hmmm yeah Disney merchandise isn's my favorite and looks cheap to be honest. I'd pay more for something if I thought it looked good.

CAPTAIN HOOK

It is too expensive.... people are spending more and more discretionary income on just GETTTING IN to the park.... how many people really want to spend $30 for a tee shirt?

You've hit the nail on the head - Disney charge what they believe they can get away with, they're not just content with making a profit - they want a huge profit.

daguru

Well, I would probably purchase more merchandise, especially clothing it they came in some larger sizes. I've always wanted a small big & tall section, they did for a short time last year (and I bought a few shirts). I've started buying cool shirts and holding them until I lose enough weight to wear them (it's slowly coming off :) ).

Not sure if that is going to fix their problem, but a just a personal wish. But I do agree with everyone else, most of the merchandise is starting to look like the same type of stuff found "Official Florida/Disney Welcome Center" or 5 Disney shirts for $1.99 type stores all over the place.

Although they have shown recently that if they put a little effort into designing the merchandise, including more attraction specific type stuff, it will sell. Just look at the Epcot 25th stuff and the retro stuff, those sold like hot cakes!

Ilovewishes

Maybe that article missed the point completely. Maybe WDW is advertising the gold ranges etc becuase a large number of people are completely unaware of them? We stayed at the world for the first time last year and, being from the UK, we were amazed at how much there is to do!! We knew there were golf courses, but we didn't realise how many or at what standard they were. We had no idea about the horse riding, water sports, cycling or any of the other attractions there are there! Maybe Disney are just trying to prove that the world is more than just a theme park? :confused:

As for the merchandise they sell, again, maybe it's because I'm from the UK, but the pricing seems ok to me. Granted, we're practically charged for breathing over here but...

One thing we did comment on was the lack of original characters and how they're not as nice as they used to be. I got my brother a Donald when he was 2 and he still has it even though he's 17 and the ones around now just aren't as nice. And I would like to see more of the older films, like Bambi, Rescuers, Dumbo etc. I'm not too enthralled with the characters from the Pixar movies and would never buy one of the toys!

PanfanAL

Another thing also, is before my trip last fall, I bought an official POTC tee shirt from Walmart for $7.00. My mom had already purchased several Disney outfits for my DS(2) at Walmart, and the price was so much better. And honestly, I liked my tee from Walmart better than the ones they had at the parks.

prberk

Not to mention that EVERY store in EVERY WDW park has nearly the SAME merchandise these days. It was not always this way. The stores used to be very unique, with unique items themed to their lands. Not anymore. Just themed plush characters.

Sales will go up when variety goes up (and prices moderate).

Paul

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
That was worse than the normal Jim Hill stuff. He made it up out of nothing. Disney places a big ad showing off the non-park stuff, he hears rumors of a drop in merchandise sales (which I suspect are correct) and he speculates it's all tied together. Must have been a slow day.

I do agree with other posters that the merchandise offerings do not get me excited, but I'm not a big buyer of knick-knacks and the like anyways.

SallyShine

Not to mention that EVERY store in EVERY WDW park has nearly the SAME merchandise these days. It was not always this way. The stores used to be very unique, with unique items themed to their lands. Not anymore. Just themed plush characters.

Paul
You hit the nail on the head. I'm tired of the same thing in every store! There are still a few interesting stores, but for the most part, it's all crap.

66Stella

3. It is too expensive.... people are spending more and more discretionary income on just GETTTING IN to the park.... how many people really want to spend $30 for a tee shirt?
quote]

I just wait a few months and buy the same shirt at the Premiere Outlet for $6.99 :)

Every year when we visit WDW one of the first things we do is go to the Character Outlet store and stock up on teeshirts, sweatshirts and whatever else we see that we like. Last year I purchased (3) adult POTC tee shirts, (2) kids tee shirts, (2) 3 x5 AK photo frames, a coffe mug, post cards, Mickey Lolli Pops and assorted charms for my DD for $57 plus tax...you just can't beat that...:animwink:

OldLiner

Very true.
The last time I was at the Magic Kingdom (New Year's '07) I was really disappointed that the Briar Patch store, which used to be chock full of Splash Mountain merchandise had more Pooh stuff than Brer Rabbit stuff.
Hopefully WDW will bring back some variety.

Having said that, WDW merchandise is definitely head and shoulders above the quality/variety of what they sell at Busch Gardens Tampa!!

Disney MDACK

Funny your talking about WDW souvenirs I am down here in Boca Raton FL. and went to Disney Character Premiere in the Sawgrass Mills mall. They have a bunch of WDW stuff at outlet prices. Needless to say I bought a lot of stuff for cheap. Seeing what the prices are at this store compared to what the parks charge is eye popping :eek:.

Eyorefan

Paul

You are right on! The prices wouldn't even have to come down that much. I would pay $25 for a shirt if it was really nice and something I new I could only get there.

WaltsApprentice

Funny your talking about WDW souvenirs I am down here in Boca Raton FL. and went to Disney Character Premiere in the Sawgrass Mills mall. They have a bunch of WDW stuff at outlet prices. Needless to say I bought a lot of stuff for cheap. Seeing what the prices are at this store compared to what the parks charge is eye popping :eek:.

Did you see the Disney College Program posters Up? I put those up :). Okay sorry now getting to the point! Most of the Merch though is dated un wanted merch. For example there is alot of flower and garden stuff there that was left over. True there are some stuff like RC cars from Pixar Cars that are only 8.00 compared to the orginal price of 30 or 25 dollars. but again the stuff is very old or just not wanted. IT'S the ISLAND of Misfit Disney STUFF!:lookaroun

I'm just hoping they fix the roof and make the store next door turn down their music! I heard from a CM there that Disney and its lawyers are discussing terms with that store next door. :zipit:

disney9752

i agree with many of you, this is a problem left over from the eisner/ pressler era. they drove most of the varied merchandise out of the parks & made it that you find basically the same items in EVERY STORE. at one point comments were made that dl merchandise looked like one big disney store had invaded the park. maybe wdw will catch on to that.:brick:

frazierle

disney spending

I Disney shop on the cheap:ROFLOL:
I order merchandise a few weeks before online and save lots of dough.:lol:
The kids never know...LoL

WaltsApprentice

i agree with many of you, this is a problem left over from the eisner/ pressler era. they drove most of the varied merchandise out of the parks & made it that you find basically the same items in EVERY STORE. at one point comments were made that dl merchandise looked like one big disney store had invaded the park. maybe wdw will catch on to that.:brick:

Ya when I went to DL for X-mas this year...I realized many of the stores have the same thing. And that Jack Skellinton (note: which I do like)From NBC was all over the place...just like we have Sitch all over the place almost in every store. Its kinda annoying. I notice over there in many of the stores too there was not much diversity which was annoying. I like to shop in the stores but when you go into a store looking for something different...you can't find it,

Another thing I noticed and is kinda annoying is that on much of the merch. today...some of the normal stuff...it has both US parks labeled on it...so that they don't have to double merch. different things for both parks... Just slap on both the labels and there is no need to do anything different. Soon they will start doing T-shirts like that!:(

Disney MDACK

Did you see the Disney College Program posters Up? I put those up :). Okay sorry now getting to the point! Most of the Merch though is dated un wanted merch. For example there is alot of flower and garden stuff there that was left over. True there are some stuff like RC cars from Pixar Cars that are only 8.00 compared to the orginal price of 30 or 25 dollars. but again the stuff is very old or just not wanted. IT'S the ISLAND of Misfit Disney STUFF!:lookaroun

I'm just hoping they fix the roof and make the store next door turn down their music! I heard from a CM there that Disney and its lawyers are discussing terms with that store next door. :zipit:

Yes some of the stuff is dated 2007 but for the most part it is not outdated. I bought my daughter a tinkerbell disney baby and I know they are still selling those in the parks because I bought her a different one back in Oct. I asked a person who works there if they had any MNSSHP leftover and she said no that stuff goes fast. This store is great and it is certainly not the island of misfit stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom