Disney Wants You To Spend More on Souvenirs?

PanfanAL

Not to burst your bubble, but the Disney tees are made in third world countries also, there are no clothing manufacturers left in the US. Not large ones anyway. But that is a little off topic.

wedway71

Not to burst your bubble, but the Disney tees are made in third world countries also, there are no clothing manufacturers left in the US. Not large ones anyway. But that is a little off topic.

YES very true. Thats why Walmart doesnt have "made in America" Marketing anymore.

Carolwood

I always buy one t-shirt on each trip...except my trip in October. I literally couldn't find a t-shirt that was unique and worth the ridiculous cost (even the "cheap" t-shirts in WDW, the ones that were always $16, are now a minimum of $19...most t-shirts are around $26).

I was disgusted recently when I saw PoTC merch in World Showcase...the list of "infractions" regarding theming and junk merchandise could go on and on.

I have a sweatshirt from January 2001, it's a 100 Years of Magic sweatshirt (black). I broke the zipper, but other than being a little faded (and I wear this thing all the time), the entire shirt is intact (ie no pilling, wearing, or tears). I also have a Stitch sweatshirt from MK that I purchased in 2004 that I, again, wear all the time (at least 1 day every two weeks....it's cold here, and I'm always throwing on a sweatshirt :)). It looks brand new (really).

I purchased a similar sweatshirt in Disneyland in 2005 (Dec. 31, 2005, to be exact). I remember I bought it at night, because it was freezing. By the end of the night (about 4 hours later) the armpits and sides of the sweatshirt were completing pilling.

Within a few month of coming home, it had a slight hole in it from the wear....a few months. So between 2004 and 2005, they had to have changed their vendor for sweatshirts. If I held both up to the light, the DL one would have huge holes and be completely see through. The Stitch or 100 yrs ones would look great. I'm hoping that perhaps this new Hanes deal will make a difference in quality.

I've written so much, I don't have time to go into the lack of unique merchandise in stores across WDW. It has gotten terribly worse in the past 2 years (especially the last year) though, based on my purchasing habits and what I've noticed in 10 trips to WDW (and 2 to DL) in the past two years.

I totally agree! The cost on WDW clothing has become insane! $26.00 for a t-shirt! Not to mention the quality as the the above poster mentioned. I have always bought several shirts or sweatshirts on our yearly trip, my past two trips I have come home empty handed.

bgraham34

There are lots of things I would love to buy, but many times I feel its too cheap looking and not worth the price so i pass it up

jt04

I am pretty sure that Disney wanting people to spend more money is neither news or a rumor. Now the latest Disney stock quote is news:

Last Trade:32.42Trade Time:1:33PM ETChange 0.23 (+0.71%)
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D It's easy being green!

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I rarely buy Disney merch when I'm there.
I would buy the clothes if they were more stylish (I've always wanted a polo shirt like the Lacoste Alligator one but with Space Mountain on the chest) or maybe a line of clothes that were created w/ guest famous designers?

I'm sure you'd have the deep pocketers shelling out for Gucci Mickey shades and Omega Goofy watches.

I agree with you here. What a great idea! I'm not much of just a t-shirt wearer (I dress up a bit more on a daily basis. I guess I'm just a really girly girl.) I've seen the Disney Couture, but it wasn't quite anything I'd wear as well. Oh well.

There are lots of things I would love to buy, but many times I feel its too cheap looking and not worth the price so i pass it up

Agree with your post as well! If I do find something that I wouldn't mind owning, I usually cannot justify spending that kind of money on something so cheap looking. This isn't the case with all Disney Merchandise, but I find it's more common for me than not.

Tiggerfanatic

I had exactly the same thoughts after my last trip - as a matter of fact, I think it was one of my first posts upon my return. Lack of choice was a big disapointment. Unless you're are a 6-year old princess wannabe, you're sadly out of luck.

ImaYoyo

OK, So I went to DTD for lunch and I'm trying to figure out where the average shirt is 26 dollar or 30 dollars. Seriously. Can anyone give me a SKU number or a picture of a price tag? I looked at a LOT of shirts and found most (adult shirts) were between 18-22, and a few of them between 14-18. INFACT, I got a great deal on an O'neill (did I spell that right?) shirt for 10 bucks (PLUS my discount, WOOHOO)!

Is merchandise at WDW Cheap? No, not even close! But, is it any less reasonable than a shirt at a baseball game? At a ski-lodge? Someone hit the nail on the head earlier that Disney isn't in the business of selling cheap merchandise, that's walmart's job. My suggestion is write to guest communication, tell them what you think, and you can say you've done your part!

On a side note... what is everyone looking for that they can't find? I seem to find what I need/like... And let us not forget, it's not going to be profitable to carry EVERYTHING. The souvies are meant for the masses. What was that Star Trek Quote... "The Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few..." something like that, right? So I know there are lots of Dreamfinder nuts out there, but there aren't MILLIONS of Dreamfinder nuts like there are Mickey nuts... or pirate lovers... or princess fans... So we have what we have.

tomm4004

It seems every store I go into has the same stuff - Pirates and HSM. The merchandise overall is uninspiring. Even finding a nice resort shirt is tough anymore.

The other thing I don't like is being dumped into a shop after a ride. Ironically, in Tokyo, where merchandise sells through the roof, this tends not to happen. At Tokyo Disney Sea no ride dumps into a shop. You have to seek them out and thus you're more likely to buy something. When I see a shop after a ride I just want to get out of there. Even if you try to look around you're going to be mobbed by the next group.

Don't know if JM's theory is correct or not, but if sales are dropping I'd say it's the boring merchandise that's to blame.

Animaniac93-98

I think it's kind of funny that the things I bought in WDW that I enjoy the most are the movie posters for The Black Hole and The Great Mouse Detective at Sid's in DHS (for $10 and $15). Posters which have nothing to do with the boring merchandise Disney expects me to buy and tries to sell EVERYWHERE for a stupid price. IMO the last truly great example of park merchandise was the Musical History of Disneyland box set. and that had nothing to do with WDW.

Disney gets rid of good shops and products, and sales drop. Coincidence I think not!

Eyorefan

On a side note... what is everyone looking for that they can't find? I seem to find what I need/like... And let us not forget, it's not going to be profitable to carry EVERYTHING. The souvies are meant for the masses. What was that Star Trek Quote... "The Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few..." something like that, right? So I know there are lots of Dreamfinder nuts out there, but there aren't MILLIONS of Dreamfinder nuts like there are Mickey nuts... or pirate lovers... or princess fans... So we have what we have.

Well, two trips ago I decided I wanted a cup perferably plastic, but I would have gotten a glass or travel mug that said Epcot, and I didn't find one. I don't think that is THAT out there. If I'm at Walt Disney World I want to get something (besides a t-shirt) that is "Walt Disney World", instead of just "Disney" stuff.

Tiggerfanatic

And, as an added thought, it's not the price I am objecting to. I'm on vacation, I'm in Disneyworld, and if I see something I like/want, I'll buy it. It's the limited selection I have a problem with. I like the unique WDW merchandise of old, resort/ride/park specific. I'm tired of seeing the same shirts & picure frames in every gift shop in every park.

ImaYoyo

Well, two trips ago I decided I wanted a cup perferably plastic, but I would have gotten a glass or travel mug that said Epcot, and I didn't find one. I don't think that is THAT out there. If I'm at Walt Disney World I want to get something (besides a t-shirt) that is "Walt Disney World", instead of just "Disney" stuff.
Did you happen to stop by the Help Desk at the World of Disney? Or call anyone? I'm not sure that it was around back when you were looking, but I know of at least 6 different mugs that say "epcot" and I personally have 2 glasses, and 4 wine glasses that say "epcot". I'm in no way saying you're wrong, I'm just double checking to see if it's a true lack of merchandise, or if it's merchandise being difficult to find.

kshark

You are right on! The prices wouldn't even have to come down that much. I would pay $25 for a shirt if it was really nice and something I new I could only get there.

i agree with that as well - the price wouldnt matter if it was something unique.

sublimesting

I think it's kind of funny that the things I bought in WDW that I enjoy the most are the movie posters for The Black Hole and The Great Mouse Detective at Sid's in DHS (for $10 and $15). Posters which have nothing to do with the boring merchandise Disney expects me to buy and tries to sell EVERYWHERE for a stupid price. IMO the last truly great example of park merchandise was the Musical History of Disneyland box set. and that had nothing to do with WDW.

Disney gets rid of good shops and products, and sales drop. Coincidence I think not!

WOW, a Blackhole fan!?! I bought one at MGM last year, I thought I was the only person that liked The Blackhole....:lookaroun.....unless you bought it to be silly....:veryconfu

sublimesting

People like me ruin your concerns by spending an arm and a leg on souvenirs....my wife grew up quite poor and her whole life never bought anything at all (for Christmas she got a muffin tin when she was 7). Even though we've been together for years she never spends a dime and if she does she asks me first. I always tell her that she contributes just as much to our family income as I do and doesn't have to ask me to buy something. Well, last year at Disney she cut loose and we spent almost 1K on souvenirs. It made me happy that she had such fun running about like a little kid.

But, everything is identicle and all the big stores are the same. I miss the magic store on main street and the Haunted Mansion store etc. I suppose they do have some specialty stores like teh Christmas stores and the little "fire dept." store on Main St. and also the rides all have stores that are pretty individualized.

shoppingnut

Is merchandise at WDW Cheap? No, not even close! But, is it any less reasonable than a shirt at a baseball game? At a ski-lodge? Someone hit the nail on the head earlier that Disney isn't in the business of selling cheap merchandise, that's walmart's job. My suggestion is write to guest communication, tell them what you think, and you can say you've done your part!

I've written time and time again, you don't get any response. So why is it I can't find any princess merchandise for women, just kids or tweens. They are clearly missing an entire segment of the market. And, as far as Mickey merch goes, where is it all, because I can't seem to find any decent Mickey stuff, it all seems to be the same stuff stitch or pooh. People love the monorail, where's that merch, because when they do have something with it on it, it flies out the door in a day or two. How about something with just the castle on it, it's an icon, where's that merch. Their buyers are idiots that are clearly not in touch with disney fans/parks so miss the mark on much of their merch selections.

Bottom line is that I don't want to buy stuff I can find in any walmart or disney store, I want it to be special. Therefore, I leave the parks WITH money in my pocket because I'm not buying anything for me or anyone else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom