Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

MrPromey

I'm gonna be sold on it if when watching a movie/show, it has that immersed look to it yet it's not like the screen is right in front of your face and not some weird curved look to it.

If it feeling immersive and like you're eyes aren't right against the screen are you only concerns, there are cheaper options:

https://www.bigscreenvr.com/ (pre-order but the reviews are glowing)

If you've got the scratch and watching movies/tv is all you plan to do with it, I'd suggest the first link.

👍

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder how many people here remember or even experienced the original iPhone.

Only a handful of 1st party apps, no third party apps*, slow network (despite other phones with less need, already supporting a faster one), a largely broken web where many sites still needed flash and none were optimized for mobile, crappy battery life - I could go on.

... and none of that stuff obvious problems from the famous keynote.

Compared to the 3g with the app store that launched along side it a year later, that first phone was garbage... very expensive garbage.

It changed everything but it was still expensive garbage.

I wouldn't be shocked if history repeated itself, here.

I also wouldn't be shocked if it didn't.

*Steve Jobs didn't even start out wanting 3rd parties to be able to develop for it. I remember the notes app being one of the most amazing things on it, having come from a "smart phone" that already had a full keyboard and access to email. It got 3rd party access just like the 3G a year after release but that was only as a result of consumer/developer push-back.
It was really the first true “smartphone”…with a touch screen. It was Star Trek TNG come to life
The fact it wasn’t really functional didnt matter.

The blackberry became a paperweight at the press conference

Trauma

So I researched more on this.

For me it could be interesting as a TV movie or sports viewing experience.

It doesn’t cost any more than what I usually spend on a high end TV.

The problem for me is I almost never watch any of those alone.

The only content I usually watch alone is YouTube and thats normally when I’m driving and I just kinda listen to it.

I think if I bought one it would just be in the closet gathering dust in a month.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

jeanericuser001

I think this could be the start of a new innoventions only this will be at the Play pavilion. Apple can use it to help showcase some of its products while disney can bring in a couple vr attractions. Sounds like that virtual disney ride idea may not be so far off. The question is how well will disney be able to recreate former attractions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think this could be the start of a new innoventions only this will be at the Play pavilion. Apple can use it to help showcase some of its products while disney can bring in a couple vr attractions. Sounds like that virtual disney ride idea may not be so far off. The question is how well will disney be able to recreate former attractions.
Waste of a pavilion

Ayla

Oh, you mean like Sum Of All Thrills, that Disney mothballed in 2016? 🤨

mysto

It's posible Disney has been working on models of the parks for a long time intending to lay out new attractions more comprehensively (and secretly) than they do with sight ballons. Even if they don't already have one it still would be useful to them. But seriously they must have a model.

So there may not be that much of an investment or effort required. They almost certainly would use a common gaming modelling framework that Apple (or any other vendor) can ingest without some kind of FP+ level effort.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
In case anyone is not familiar, Mario Kart in Universal (Osaka, Hollywood and in Orlando in 2 years) is AR-based but is on a moving track with set pieces as well.

Disney is probably going to look into this as an option as well (even if it's not directly related to Apple)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
IMHO it's sleight-of-hand obfuscation as they have serious issues actually designing and installing any new physical facilities or attractions in less than 5 years. If you cant dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with ....... (WC Fields quote that the filters will not allow me to finish)

jeanericuser001

Oh, you mean like Sum Of All Thrills, that Disney mothballed in 2016? 🤨
Actually no. Im talking about the innoventions as it was originally supposed to be. You are thinking of later innoventions when Im talking about early innoventions. Innoventions at one time was less of an attractions mini mall and more of tech demonstration place. This is where people got to see early smart home technology years before it hit the full market. This is where people got their first shot at the segway before it went mainstream and evolved into the hands free version we use today. They even at one time had an actual early vr demonstration that showed lucky guests what it was like to use vr long long long before oculus even existed. Alas innoventions was turned from what it originally was into a mini attraction show case that lost much of its original purpose. Besides with a company like apple at the helm you know they will want to show off as much of their tech portfolio as possible which could mean anything from a smart home tour to the virtual disney idea I mentioned earlier. Disney has kept pretty quiet on what exactly The Play pavilion could be but this seems like it could be what they had in mind for that.

Ayla

IMHO it's sleight-of-hand obfuscation as they have serious issues actually designing and installing any new physical facilities or attractions in less than 5 years. If you cant dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with ....... (WC Fields quote that the filters will not allow me to finish)
I agree. It's yet another example of WDC focusing on things that have zero to miniscule impact on customers, while the things that actually do have major impacts (new attractions, increasing capacity, etc) are dismissed and/or purposefully overlooked.

It's a symptom of a much wider problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom