News Disney Vacation Club announces plans for more than 350 new cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

Heath

What’s odd to me is Disney is unceasingly always surveying. Yet somehow they make decisions that seem blatantly opposite of online consensus. There’s a “fort” themed with logs, campfire, chuck wagons, iron skillets, Davy Crockett.. every stereotypical log cabin ideal of pioneer times. Yet some small faction of people decided to this was a good idea for a modern bungalow refresh. I don’t get it. So many times I just don’t get it. The interior space seems nice but seems obvious to do another faux log exterior and less people like me would be dumbfounded. Change is not always necessary just for change. Anyway I guess some will find positive or even prefer triteness or the dumbing down, and they can also go get chicken and ribs at the Trails End, then eat the very same chicken and ribs at Howdy Hoot. Btw I’m staying at Fort Wildeness Lodge and noticed lanterns on walkways don’t flicker at night anymore. Dont know if that’s an intentional change or whatever module governs those just isn’t working for the time being.

bpiper

What’s odd to me is Disney is unceasingly always surveying. Yet somehow they make decisions that seem blatantly opposite of online consensus. There’s a “fort” themed with logs, campfire, chuck wagons, iron skillets, Davy Crockett.. every stereotypical log cabin ideal of pioneer times. Yet some small faction of people decided to this was a good idea for a modern bungalow refresh. I don’t get it. So many times I just don’t get it. The interior space seems nice but seems obvious to do another faux log exterior and less people like me would be dumbfounded. Change is not always necessary just for change. Anyway I guess some will find positive or even prefer triteness or the dumbing down, and they can also go get chicken and ribs at the Trails End, then eat the very same chicken and ribs at Howdy Hoot. Btw I’m staying at Fort Wildeness Lodge and noticed lanterns on walkways don’t flicker at night anymore. Dont know if that’s an intentional change or whatever module governs those just isn’t working for the time being.

I suspect the answer is either:

1. The faux log exterior is more costly than the proposed exterior, cutting into profits.
2. The faux log exterior is more costly to maintain, thus increasing annual dues even higher.
3. The faux log exterior was decided that while more thematic accurate, would turn off more buyers and thus lengthening the sell out date.

I could see it being all 3 to varying degrees.

As to the flickering lights, I would assume they are probably LED by now.... Can LED's do flickering? Maybe they can't convincingly. It might be more of a off/on effect versus a on/partial off but not completely off you get with filament bulbs.

bpiper

You mean like how the current cabins are setup? It does seem odd they decided to put the bathroom across the cabin from the main bedroom. I don’t really want to traipse through the living area and the kitchen if I’m in the main bedroom. Not a fan.
It seems like an odd setup... I can't be from sewer/water connections in the pad. They should be below the current center location. They would have to extend the piping, which would cost money....

I wonder if these cabins are already made and sold by a manufacturer and Disney just ordered 350 of them with slight cosmetic changes (which would explain the lack of faux logs on the outside) vs having a custom cabin designed from scratch. That would save a boat load of money.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I think Disney sees the cabins as eco friendly and that perhaps the appearance of logs, however fake they may be, goes against eco friendliness if viewed as trees cut down to make cabins. Like marketing plant based meat with cows on the label.

John park hopper

Felling trees is not eco friendly!
You know nothing about forestry
"America has more of them now than it's had in 100 years. Thanks in large part to sustainable harvesting practices and the creation of national parks, forest growth has been exceeding deforestation in the U.S. for decades. In fact, many American forestry companies are planting more trees than they harvest. "

GimpYancIent

It seems like an odd setup... I can't be from sewer/water connections in the pad. They should be below the current center location. They would have to extend the piping, which would cost money....

I wonder if these cabins are already made and sold by a manufacturer and Disney just ordered 350 of them with slight cosmetic changes (which would explain the lack of faux logs on the outside) vs having a custom cabin designed from scratch. That would save a boat load of money.
Now that IS Disney Corporate thinking.

monorail81

(which would explain the lack of faux logs on the outside)
My guess is the lack of faux logs was so that the cabins would better fit the theming of Reflections when they were planning to build that. They still will fit when they decide to go ahead with that project in the future.

Marionnette

As it stands right now, the DVC Cabins at Fort Wilderness are a part of the Fort Wilderness Resort. No new amenities were added to the Fort.

If Reflections is built and it becomes part of the Fort, then I could envision it being a part of the same condo association as the Cabins. But then, it will become part of the Fort Wilderness Resort, much in the same way that the new Poly Tower will become part of the Polynesian Resort. And that means more operating costs for the Fort can be shifted to DVC owners.

John park hopper

If you look closely you can see the wheels under the cabins (sarcasm)

MR.Dis

I have always liked that DVC gives its members options. The cabins are truely unique in that members will be allowed to take pets. Pesonally this is not my cup of tea. My family likes having a washer dryer in the room (which is why we seldom book a studio). If this appears to some to be rather tacky, that is fine---just do not buy in or book it. Simple answer.

John park hopper

FYI dog friendly
The 4 include Disney's Yacht Club Resort, Disney Port Orleans Resort – Riverside and Disney's Art of Animation Resort and the Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. The offering includes Pluto's Welcome amenity, which gives dogs and their owners a collection of dog-friendly items.

JoeCamel

FYI dog friendly
The 4 include Disney's Yacht Club Resort, Disney Port Orleans Resort – Riverside and Disney's Art of Animation Resort and the Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. The offering includes Pluto's Welcome amenity, which gives dogs and their owners a collection of dog-friendly items.
That is just funny! As I was reading your post and scrolled the ad for milk bones from Walmart was displayed. Big brother is indeed watching

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom