News Disney Vacation Club announces plans for more than 350 new cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

pdude81

I don’t think they had to pay tax. It just reduced the purchase price. It was a discount applied.
I've been told that there is not a reduction, but a "cash back" payment for the use of their points (in the form of a check). This is just from discussing with a colleague at work who was talking with a direct rep and some comments from buyers in a Riviera fb group though. I received no such offers from my guide years back. But these people were told that they were selling their points back to DVD and that whatever tax consequences they'd have for that would be for them to figure out.

pdude81

I've been told that there is not a reduction, but a "cash back" payment for the use of their points (in the form of a check). This is just from discussing with a colleague at work who was talking with a direct rep and some comments from buyers in a Riviera fb group though. I received no such offers from my guide years back. But these people were told that they were selling their points back to DVD and that whatever tax consequences they'd have for that would be for them to figure out.
I wouldn't have gone far down that road anyway as I know they wouldn't be making that offer if it were better for me. I only rent points when I screw something up and I can't use them otherwise.

CaptainAmerica

Strange how 2 people dissing Magical Beginnings don’t know anything about it.

🙄🧐
For the record, I was only ever against it because when I last looked into it, the incentive was only $10 per point so it just felt like a tax on people who didn't know how to rent.

CaptainAmerica

Do you fly or drive? Being able to take less luggage because you can wash your clothes makes life a lot easier.
Of course it makes life easier. But again, 1BR villas are priced double what the cabins are expected to cost. In-unit laundry is a convenience, I 100% agree with that. But, to me, it's not a convenience that justifies a unit costing twice as much.

And it's not like people without in-unit laundry can't do laundry. My wife did a couple loads at Poly when we stayed in a studio last trip. Yes, it was less convenient than in-unit. But again, not anywhere near what I'd consider a dealbreaker.

CaptainAmerica

5t1N.gif

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
In the last week I've stayed in a Poly studio and a Riviera one bedroom and did laundry at both. It's hugely more convenient in room.

At Poly I had to carve out time to be around to bring laundry to the room, hope it was unused (app to check usage wasn't working), and then wait close enough to move clothes from washer to dryer so as to not hog washers for hours. Dryers weren't a big deal because there were so many (like 8 or 10 dryers to 4 washers). Then it all had to be hauled back to the room. It's inconvenient so I limited to one huge trip that used three washers.

At Riviera I could put a load in the washer before heading out or to sleep and then just dry later- no carving the the time into my day to make sure I'm around to move laundry. And in room it was convenient to do one load at a time so in theory I could pack less and do laundry more often.

In the cabins I wish they had even just put in space saving combo unit, as long as those take it, because it would have been better than nothing. Pop a load in, go out, and return and it's done.

That all said it's still not a deal breaker for us because we love Fort Wilderness and have done okay in cabins without laundry, it's just way less convenient. But I can that some families might find it a deal breaker.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I am surprised we haven't heard anything about an expansion of the Wilderness Pool area into something larger. I was really expecting that the conversion of these things to DVC would result in that area getting bigger, getting some more amenities, nicer pool, maybe some food or retail, to accommodate the cabins with something closer than the Meadow.

I've also been disappointed we haven't seen anything indicating enhancements.

JoeCamel

In the last week I've stayed in a Poly studio and a Riviera one bedroom and did laundry at both. It's hugely more convenient in room.

At Poly I had to carve out time to be around to bring laundry to the room, hope it was unused (app to check usage wasn't working), and then wait close enough to move clothes from washer to dryer so as to not hog washers for hours. Dryers weren't a big deal because there were so many (like 8 or 10 dryers to 4 washers). Then it all had to be hauled back to the room. It's inconvenient so I limited to one huge trip that used three washers.

At Riviera I could put a load in the washer before heading out or to sleep and then just dry later- no carving the the time into my day to make sure I'm around to move laundry. And in room it was convenient to do one load at a time so in theory I could pack less and do laundry more often.

In the cabins I wish they had even just put in space saving combo unit, as long as those take it, because it would have been better than nothing. Pop a load in, go out, and return and it's done.

That all said it's still not a deal breaker for us because we love Fort Wilderness and have done okay in cabins without laundry, it's just way less convenient. But I can that some families might find it a deal breaker.
Its Florida, they could just tack a shed on the side

CaptainAmerica

I am surprised we haven't heard anything about an expansion of the Wilderness Pool area into something larger. I was really expecting that the conversion of these things to DVC would result in that area getting bigger, getting some more amenities, nicer pool, maybe some food or retail, to accommodate the cabins with something closer than the Meadow.
Nicer maybe, but why larger? These cabins are replacing the old ones, they're not increasing the total number of guests at FW.

CaptainAmerica

Speculation is that this wasn't a choice, but that the plumbing can't handle it.

pdude81

Nicer maybe, but why larger? These cabins are replacing the old ones, they're not increasing the total number of guests at FW.
Exactly. They used the DVC refurb at Wilderness as an opportunity to redo the main feature pool and splash pad, plus added the outdoor bar/restaurant. Then IIRC they refurbed the cash side of the main building and now DVC pays for their portion of the maintenance. If they were to add another building like they are doing now at PVB then new facilities would be warranted.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I don’t have enough holiday clothes to last 2 weeks without doing laundry. And even if I did I couldn’t bring that much with me.

If only you knew someone who has laundry facilities available. And would wine and dine you while you wait. 😉

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Speculation is that this wasn't a choice, but that the plumbing can't handle it.
Interesting. Quick googling says that a washing machine flow is 3-5 gallons per minute and that a shower is 1.5-3 gpm. This falls into category of things I wont understand as a lay person because the flow, rate differences over a minute don't seem bad, but really I have no idea.

FWIW even if it was a choice I think it's at least defendable given the small size of the units compared to other one bedrooms.

Marionnette

1 bedroom versus a Studio, for me:

+++ King bed
+++ Capacity of 5 (depending on resort)
++ Ability to make breakfast
+ Ability to make (and refrigerate) other snacks/meals
+ Ability to do laundry
--- Points cost per night

The cabins won't have all of those positives, but they solve the major negative.
One more drawback to these cabins - and this could be a deal-breaker for families with small children - no bathtub! The description from DVCNews.com says that the bathroom will have a walk-in shower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom