News Disney Vacation Club Announces Expansion at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Club Cooloholic

correct...follow the flow:

dakl...

contemporary...

poly...

Wilderness lodge (the worst case)

now GF.

What do they all have in common? And now they’ve bled it to the “moderates” as well.

and I got a 52% discount (after tax) bout 5 years ago at the poly. Maybe because the room built and sold for $29 in 1971 was racked at $575?then??

nah...can’t be it
Exactly. These room prices they put on are an excuse to justify the "immense savings" you get buy buying a DVC contract. The discounts have always been there, its like walking into a Kohl's department store, if you are paying the listed price and not getting it on sale or using a coupon, you are an idiot.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I'm a big fan of diversified accomodation options. I want more of that, not less. Treehouses, Cabins, Family Suites, all of it. Cash and points.

I'll never understand for whom "one queen and a couch" is an ideal floor plan. What feedback are they getting where everyone seems to want one queen and a couch?
That’s what my family wants and we are very important. We like the pull down under the TV, too.

Can’t wait for The Villas at Disney’s All Star Music Resort.

CaptainAmerica

That’s what my family wants and we are very important. We like the pull down under the TV, too.

Can’t wait for The Villas at Disney’s All Star Music Resort.
You joke about the pull-down, but I think one of the reasons why 1 bedrooms are so low-demand relative to the studios is that there are many resorts where the studio sleeps 5 but the 1 bedroom only sleeps 4. Nobody is going to choose that unless they're desperate for a kitchen.

Speaking of relative demand... isn't Disney obligated to try to balance demand between room types and price seasons? "Studios are impossible to book but 1 bedrooms are always available" shouldn't be a thing. I'd love to see a radical overhaul of the points charts that made Studios much more expensive and 1 bedrooms cheaper.

ToTBellHop

You joke about the pull-down, but I think one of the reasons why 1 bedrooms are so low-demand relative to the studios is that there are many resorts where the studio sleeps 5 but the 1 bedroom only sleeps 4. Nobody is going to choose that unless they're desperate for a kitchen.

Speaking of relative demand... isn't Disney obligated to try to balance demand between room types and price seasons? "Studios are impossible to book but 1 bedrooms are always available" shouldn't be a thing. I'd love to see a radical overhaul of the points charts that made Studios much more expensive and 1 bedrooms cheaper.
The impact of that proposal would be to screw over people with 100-150 point contracts, which currently are enough for a week or more in a studio. I can’t see that happening. It’s not really possible when they are building studio-only DVCs, which is happening here and basically happened at Poly. You can’t have a week in a studio at BoardWalk cost more than a week in a studio at Poly.

It seems their preference is just to build fewer 1BRs.

CaptainAmerica

The impact of that proposal would be to screw over people with 100-150 point contracts, which currently are enough for a week or more in a studio. I can’t see that happening. It’s not really possible when they are building studio-only DVCs, which is happening here and basically happened at Poly. You can’t have a week in a studio at BoardWalk cost more than a week in a studio at Poly.

It seems their preference is just to build fewer 1BRs.
It's unfortunate that it would screw those people but I literally think it's an obligation in the membership agreement. They *must* balance demand.

ToTBellHop

It's unfortunate that it would screw those people but I literally think it's an obligation in the membership agreement. They *must* balance demand.
I just don’t see it happening. You need to keep studios across all resorts in the same ballpark at a given season.

Monkeying around further with seasons is more likely. Another alternative is to significantly increase points for better views, so they could still tell owners at a resort to “just book a standard view at 11 months and you’ll get your full week!”

If a theme park view studio is similar in points to a standard 1BR, people might make the switch for the kitchen.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

One bedrooms have been a disaster since day one.

it never made any sense...”master” bedroom and the kids sleep on the crank-o-matic sofa with some leftover Cheetos hidden in there?

I’m a huge fan of Murphy beds...something easily convertible. Pull out sofas/chairs are a disincentive to actually bother to put them away/pull them out each day

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just don’t see it happening. You need to keep studios across all resorts in the same ballpark at a given season.

Monkeying around further with seasons is more likely. Another alternative is to significantly increase points for better views, so they could still tell owners at a resort to “just book a standard view at 11 months and you’ll get your full week!”

If a theme park view studio is similar in points to a standard 1BR, people might make the switch for the kitchen.

I tend to agree...adding new types of rooms or point classes is a can of worms.

but then again...they built on top of Caribbean with no theme, high cost and high points charts...
So “expect” anything

ToTBellHop

One bedrooms have been a disaster since day one.

it never made any sense...”master” bedroom and the kids sleep on the crank-o-matic sofa with some leftover Cheetos hidden in there?

I’m a huge fan of Murphy beds...something easily convertible. Pull out sofas/chairs are a disincentive to actually bother to put them away/pull them out each day
Yes, and they have only made the studios more appealing over time. I’ve yet to book a 1BR. We don’t cook on vacation, except for maybe an egg sandwich or easy Mac. We cook the other weeks of the year, not on vacation. So I have no need for a kitchen.

CaptainAmerica

People already don't book the better views. That's another area where they need to make the reverse adjustment. Make it a smaller premium to upgrade your view.

Standard View Studios are too cheap.

Yes, and they have only made the studios more appealing over time. I’ve yet to book a 1BR. We don’t cook on vacation, except for maybe an egg sandwich or easy Mac. We cook the other weeks of the year, not on vacation. So I have no need for a kitchen.
I like to cook breakfast. It saves me a ton of time in the morning and I make better eggs than Disney does. But even paying cash, I would never book a one bedroom. We'd do standard rooms, FW cabins, or bring my parents along and jump to a 2BR.

ToTBellHop

I tend to agree...adding new types of rooms or point classes is a can of worms.

but then again...they built on top of Caribbean with no theme, high cost and high points charts...
So “expect” anything
Sure, they’ll do strange things with new hotels, but I think it is far more likely to maintain the status quo at the older ones. They can change everything in 2042, which isn’t that far off for Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I have used probably 95% of our points overtime on studios. The point of buying was to get stable value for the “better” amenities.
That’s a studio.

the few times we stayed in a one bedroom for a few nights were sorta nice...but you end up wondering why they even have them?

cooking and laundry can be done at home

Bocabear

So I guess we should be prepared for more POLY DVC and then maybe the garden wings of the Contemporary to become more DVC...
I guess anything is fair game...As someone else mentioned, Can't wait for the All Star DVC to open....

ToTBellHop

People already don't book the better views. That's another area where they need to make the reverse adjustment. Make it a smaller premium to upgrade your view.

A literal selling feature of timeshares is the ability to get a week for a certain number of points. They say this to prospectives at the Best Kept Secret desks. If you told people 150-points would get them the week they visit, you can’t change that much.

And, with respect, people book everything. You can’t find a room anywhere a month out. There’s no issue filling rooms.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

no...views are dumb and too expensive...that’s why there are no standards

Disney had always done a terrible job of miscalculating longterm desire to pay for “views”

look at bay lake...”lake view” is pointless...how many people are from Dubai and were unaware of the existence of water?

havoc315

It's the dreaded lock-off premium, which ends up greatly over-pricing 1 bedrooms. (and makes a 2BR-lockoff cheaper than 1 bedroom + 1 studio).
The argument is there really shouldn't be a lock-off premium -- Using Boardwalk as an example -- If a deluxe studio is 12 points, and a 2 BR lock-off is 32 points, then a 1 BR should be 20 points. But instead, the 1 BR is 24 points -- 4 points "over priced."

But you dismiss "desperate for a kitchen" way too quickly. Having a kitchen is hardly desperation -- For any family that wants to prepare their own meals, a kitchen is pretty critical. In fact, many DVCers are really value-vacationers, eating most/all their meals in their own villa, spending $400 on food for the week instead of the $2,000 spent by the family that eats all their meals in TS and QS. Not to mention having laundry -- and those that want separate sleeping spaces. So for a family of 3-4, those bedrooms bring a ton of value over a studio. Whether they bring enough to be worth the points, that's another question.

I would like to see an elimination of the "lock off premium." That would create a better balance of studio/1br availability at 7 months. But Disney would need to find a new source of breakage points -- which wouldn't necessarily be easy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So I guess we should be prepared for more POLY DVC and then maybe the garden wings of the Contemporary to become more DVC...
I guess anything is fair game...As someone else mentioned, Can't wait for the All Star DVC to open....
Contemporary south is under full refurbishment right now. For at least the intermediate future...they’re not interested in driving pilings to replicate bay lake.

the poly tower that was speculated is always in a holding pattern if I had to guess.

id expect more GF conversion.

and then where do the go? The other half of boardwalk? Half of beach club? More DAKL.

this isn’t “over” by any means

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom