News Disney Vacation Club Announces Expansion at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

CaptainAmerica

I’ve always assumed the queen-couch studio was designed to push people toward purchasing enough points for a one bedroom
Could be, but that wouldn't explain the Poly. Nobody was on the fence whether to be a Studio or Bungalow buyer.

I'd almost certainly buy a second contract if they built a King studio somewhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unlike you I’ve never been suckered into the losers bet that is DVC. I’ve read enough of the hassles particularly with booking during my favorite times (October, early December) and have crunched the numbers to realize it ain’t worth it. I also like rotating my main theme park winter escape regularly between WDW, DL and Universal.

question, boss:

what did I pay for mine?

those kids looked awful cute in their little Janie and Jack bubble outfits/animal print shorts in those pictures...and with prepaid rooms (mostly...due burdens are exaggerated), cheap passes and tables in wonderland...it’s obscene how much time they spent there...

now...I see a lot of bluster about “investing the money instead” and “opportunity cost” and “amortization” and all kinds of other crap that people say to convince themselves that paying $240 a night at Dixie is a better “deal”...but it’s just that. People believe trickle down economics too! 🤪

but here’s the thing: I wouldn’t go and plop $195 a point on that stuff now either!! It went insane and people pay and it gets their juices going...the hubby/mrs too! 🥰

there’s always a way to make yourself feel super intelligent. Timing matters...however. Had this thing since my mid 20’s and though I’ve spent A TON...the time I have had is worth it without serious consideration about the price. Life is short. I’ve been an “orphan”
For quite some time.

Last edited:

sullyinMT

I'm a big fan of diversified accomodation options. I want more of that, not less. Treehouses, Cabins, Family Suites, all of it. Cash and points.

I'll never understand for whom "one queen and a couch" is an ideal floor plan. What feedback are they getting where everyone seems to want one queen and a couch?
Not us. Honestly, the AoA family suite floor plan is ideal for us. Even what we’ve seen of the Endless Summer family suites at Universal. With 2 adolescents, the extra bedding makes up for lack of being “nice.” The prices at AoA, plus the preferred resort feel of POFQ keep us going back there. Because we go every 18 months or so that makes sense to us.

We’ve never truly considered DVC in the past, but the new 1BR at SSR look pretty sweet from afar. Honestly, if they redid BLT with Murphy’s, the 2 baths in those would be even better.

CaptainAmerica

question, boss:

what did I pay for mine?

those kids looked awful cute in their little Janie and Jack bubble outfits/animal print shorts in those pictures...and with prepaid rooms (mostly...due burdens are exaggerated), cheap passes and tables in wonderland...it’s obscene how much time they spent there...

now...I see a lot of bluster about “investing the money instead” and “opportunity cost” and “amortization” and all kinds of other crap that people say to convince themselves that paying $240 a night at Dixie is a better “deal”...but it’s just that. People believe trickle down economics too! 🤪

but here’s the thing: I wouldn’t go and plop $195 a point on that stuff now either!! It went insane and people pay and it gets their juices going...the hubby/mrs too! 🥰

there’s always a way to make yourself feel super intelligent. Timing matters...however. Had this things since my mid 20’s and though I’ve spent A TON...the time I have had are worth it without serious consideration about the price.
Resale was still a good deal as recently as a few months ago. I bought Saratoga resale at $102 and even factoring in opportunity cost and the fact that I have access to 50% discounts on cash rooms, the math still works.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not us. Honestly, the AoA family suite floor plan is ideal for us. Even what we’ve seen of the Endless Summer family suites at Universal. With 2 adolescents, the extra bedding makes up for lack of being “nice.” The prices at AoA, plus the preferred resort feel of POFQ keep us going back there.

We’ve never truly considered DVC in the past, but the new 1BR at SSR look pretty sweet from afar. Honestly, if they redid BLT with Murphy’s, the 2 baths in those would be even better.

contemporaries weird “slightly curved” rooms are the worst in my opinion. Got too cute for bad views their.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was still a good deal as recently as a few months ago. I bought Saratoga resale at $102 and even factoring in opportunity cost and the fact that I have access to 50% discounts on cash rooms, the math still works.

you paid 40% more than me and i have 16 years of use in the bank...

what’s Kevin bacon say?: “these are the facts of the case...and they are indisputable”

timing matters. My FIL bought a sleepy house on the water for $39,000 in the 70’s that we’d have a bidding war over starting at $700,000 now. It would cost me $500+ to get anything and it would suck.

not his fault...mine...or yours.

never buy directly at Saratoga sales office now...it’s jumped the shark

50% on cash rooms? Huh? What you talking about, Willis? 🤔

sullyinMT

contemporaries weird “slightly curved” rooms are the worst in my opinion. Got too cute for bad views their.
I’ve only ever seen videos of those rooms. The two baths are nice, though, for adolescents and not interrupting mom getting ready. That’s the appeal for an “outsider.” It’s why DCL has the nicest “standard” staterooms in the industry for families. The two sinks/split bath concept is infinitely useful for families.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve only ever seen videos of those rooms. The two baths are nice, though, for adolescents and not interrupting mom getting ready. That’s the appeal for an “outsider.” It’s why DCL has the nicest “standard” staterooms in the industry for families. The two sinks/split bath concept is infinitely useful for families.

kidani >> bay lake

on strictly rooms. Poly too

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Resale was still a good deal as recently as a few months ago. I bought Saratoga resale at $102 and even factoring in opportunity cost and the fact that I have access to 50% discounts on cash rooms, the math still works.
The resale prices for Saratoga are absurd right now compared to direct on a certain resale site but the price can still be right if you know where to look (note the broker logos on the left for the lowest and highest priced contracts on the market in the photos below). In any case there’s over 60 SSR contracts on the market now so watch for prices to fall

Lowest:
0A38EF05-526B-4B94-AA2E-C53DD6AB87F1.png

Highest:
849FCE56-A3A6-49F3-934B-92918CF444A1.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The resale prices for Saratoga are absurd right now compared to direct on a certain resale site but the price can still be right if you know where to look (note the broker logos on the left for the lowest and highest priced contracts on the market in the photos below). In any case there’s over 60 SSR contracts on the market now so watch for prices to fall

Lowest:
View attachment 558984
Highest:
View attachment 558985

yeah...that’s not good.
DVC resells tend to be like any superfluous purchase right now...

after the plague...their value should have plummeted.

but after some QE and government checks?
Time to buy!!! Market is booming! Don’t be left behind!!!

same as usual/with everything

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah but the Grand is going to sell at $250.

nothing like a sand margarita on the rocks...no salt

They just threw up what, 600 rooms at Coronado?

what goes on at Coronado?

this isn’t hard...you don’t hear a peep from the “rack room” design team at WDI these days...

actually you hear less than you do from the Thunder Mesa and “good” Star Wars teams

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Trying hard doesn’t come to mind as a viable business strategy these days, does it?

Oh stop the thread!! Winner. Game.
Set. Match.
Last time I checked my calendar, Summer 2022 is over a year away from now, not 3 months !

get your work boots and hard hat and get over there NOW! Chop chop. Building magic takes time. Just don’t ask for OT

It’s opening next Summer, 2022.

And I’ve just been told that the footprint of the rooms are bigger than the existing GFV studios.

Sigh...yep. Disney only does “high quality” spare no expense. These will be fabulous...who wouldn’t want to spend whatever is asked to own this “piece of the magic”?

The rooms close next Spring and reopen new summer. So 3 months.

yeah...I’d didn’t think they shut them down this morning

Disone

I’m not sure where you are getting your information from but I scraped night before resort availability for several months prior to the Covid shutdown and GF was probably the single easiest resort at WDW to book a regular room last minute in fall/winter 2019-2020
I don't have to scrape anything. I work there. I will not talk specifics but There is no concern about the Grand Floridian room availability then or now. While it's not something you want to sell out because where do you walk guests who book a beam resort, it certainly was still rocking with very high occupancy rates. It's a little bit lower now but again no one is super concerned about it it's chalked up to recovering from covid. In comparison to the other Resort's the Grand is doing just fine.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't have to scrape anything. I work there. I will not talk specifics but There is no concern about the Grand Floridian room availability then or now. While it's not something you want to sell out because where do you walk guests who book a beam resort, it certainly was still rocking with very high occupancy rates. It's a little bit lower now but again no one is super concerned about it it's chalked up to recovering from covid. In comparison to the other Resort's the Grand is doing just fine.

what’s “high”?

Just as a reference point?

fgmnt

Something like this was inevitable but I'm guessing Reflections' cancellation moved up the time line. Incredibly easy and rewarding for current management to do a conversion like this, adding a self help minibar to rooms in a building that are difficult to sell. I have to imagine that GF would be the worst selling deluxe hotel on property, no? Maybe AKL since it has no convention center?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom