News Disney Vacation Club Announces Expansion at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
3 months, I’m guessing this will be yet another all studios build🙄. It’s not like poly where the rooms were large to begin with, I have no idea where the kitchenette and 1/2 bath will go in that footprint.

“Located on the shores of Seven Seas Lagoon and on the monorail line to Magic Kingdom Park, the proposed project will transform Big Pine Key (building nine) at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa into approximately 200 Resort Studios, accommodating up to five Guests.”

Touchdown

“Located on the shores of Seven Seas Lagoon and on the monorail line to Magic Kingdom Park, the proposed project will transform Big Pine Key (building nine) at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa into approximately 200 Resort Studios, accommodating up to five Guests.”
So as I right does Big Pine Key have 200 rooms currently? I hope not, I have no idea how that room can support being a studio.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
3 months, I’m guessing this will be yet another all studios build🙄. It’s not like poly where the rooms were large to begin with, I have no idea where the kitchenette and 1/2 bath will go in that footprint.

that’s your thought process??

I was more thinking: they can’t sell them...they want to pack the restaurants...and that fort wilderness one is never gonna happen.

but hey...that bridge isn’t paying for itself

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So as I right does Big Pine Key have 200 rooms currently? I hope not, I have no idea how that room can support being a studio.

If the floors are identical, there would be approximately 215 rooms in the building. According to @lentesta (well, his site, actually 😀) rooms are approximately 440sq ft. One queen, a fold up queen, a Murphy bed, and they’ll have to be a bit creative but they’ll cram a kitchenette in there somewhere.

ETA: Riviera studios clock in at 423 sq ft. OKW usually boasts the largest rooms but their studios are 398 sq ft. These should be fine for studios.

Last edited:

jt04

that’s your thought process??

I was more thinking: they can’t sell them...they want to pack the restaurants...and that fort wilderness one is never gonna happen.

but hey...that bridge isn’t paying for itself

They need to not destroy the "Wilderness Resorts". That would be a bridge too far.

Touchdown

I don’t remember that one specifically...but the total number used for be around 800 and there were 7 buildings...I think?
Unlike you I’ve never been suckered into the losers bet that is DVC. I’ve read enough of the hassles particularly with booking during my favorite times (October, early December) and have crunched the numbers to realize it ain’t worth it. I also like rotating my main theme park winter escape regularly between WDW, DL and Universal.

Disone

That’s one way of dealing with low bookings at the Grand. Option B was to provide a premium experience, but that doesn’t immediately make money.
Honestly Grand was not having any problems with filling rooms prior to covid. It has recovered quickly and strongly post reopening. at one point Grand Floridian was planned to be the last hotel to close and only in a worst-case scenario. Of course the worst case scenario came much more rapidly and quickly than the company anticipated and all hotels closed. But there was a brief point that the grand was going to be the remaining Hotel left open.
GF hasn’t been premium since the mid 90’s.
Agree.
I know...can’t even change out popcorn lights.
They have. But now you can tell at the new lights have a different light temperature than the old lights:-( frustrating for sure. Main building did not get the treatment but that wasn't because of cost.
Also keeps things moving despite the pause of Reflections.
More likely because of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom