Disney/Universal Trip Planning Question

Okay, so I have Disney's Pop Century booked next September(08) for 15 days with Dinning! I am planning to do Universal also for 5 nights during this vacation. Should I do Universal before or after Disney. If I do it before its during Labor Day weekend (Worried about crowds). If I do it after I know it doesnt compare to Disney and it might will ruin it for me. What do you think I should do?

Also has anyone stayed at any of the good neighbor hotels? What did you think?

Thanks in advance!:veryconfu

Arg, I thought I posted this in Trip Planning! Can one of you mods please move it! Sorry!

I don't know about crowds or anything that time of year. Although it's not a great value - I went to Universal during my stay at Disney World. When my friend and I went we would pick 2 or 3 days to go to Universal (typically on the days there is late extra magic hours for one of the WDW parks). I would personally go before if you had to choose. I loved going while at Disney though.. that way we would go there until 8 or 9pm, return to our hotel for a bit to relax, and then go to the Extra Magic Hours park for 4..5..6 more hours of Disney fun.

Although Universal isn't as amazing as Disney, they have alot to offer that Disney does not. I enjoy the fact they have much more "gritty" rides that aren't as "family friendly." To break away from Disney to ride some wild rollercoasters and see something that might not be suitable is a nice change up. :ROFLOL: Ultimately I like ending my nights at Magic Kingdom though.

Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Hrudey3032

What on earth are you going to do at Universal for 5 days ???
I agree as there is not much to do there to waste 5 days.2 maybe 3 max if you want to get it all in but 5??Save those for going to a seperate Disney attraction like Fantasia Gardens or Winter Wonderland and then shopping around and maybe take in a day at Sea World.

Upvote 0

Hrudey3032

Well that makes alot more sense then.I have never stayed at any of the resorts as my dad lives 15 minutes from everything down there(save tons of money that way) but boy one day I would love to stay at the Wilderness Lodge.

Upvote 0

GrowingUpDisney

We have stayed at Hard Rock Hotel ( 6 yrs ago) and it was nice. The convenience of the "front of the line with your room key" is awesome.

We have not stayed anywhere but WDW since then, so I can not speak on its condition to date. I am sure they keep it nice though. If we happen to head to Sea World, we just stay at WDW and drive over. We would not move just to do another park.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member

Thanks in advance!:veryconfu

The only good neighbor hotel I've stayed at is the Radisson Orlando Resort-Celebration. It was very nice (the rooms were recently remodeled I believe) and they have great room rates. Everything seemed new and clean. The location is great too.

They are actually a WDWMagic sponsor and often have special rates for WDWMagic members.

http://orlando.guestselectresorts.com/?pid=WDWMAGIC

Upvote 0

Fantasyland-er

My biggest complaint with universal is that they havent added a new ride or attraction in IOA since it opened in 1999. I love the parks, but if they arent adding anything new in their Star theme park than whats the point of going and riding the same rides (with no new ones) year after year.

Upvote 0

JT3000

Should I do Universal before or after Disney. If I do it before its during Labor Day weekend (Worried about crowds). If I do it after I know it doesnt compare to Disney and it might will ruin it for me. What do you think I should do?

It isn't going to matter, as you'll never actually enjoy Universal with that kind of attitude. You might as well just stay at Disney.

Upvote 0

dandaman

Okay, so I have Disney's Pop Century booked next September(08) for 15 days with Dinning! I am planning to do Universal also for 5 nights during this vacation. Should I do Universal before or after Disney. If I do it before its during Labor Day weekend (Worried about crowds). If I do it after I know it doesnt compare to Disney and it might will ruin it for me. What do you think I should do?

I've also stayed at the Radisson that Eeyore reviewed. VERY nice, and you can usually get some good deals from here or MouseSavers.

Buena Vista Suites is also very good, but not quite as good (barely) as the Radisson. Depending on good deals you find and desired location (i.e. BVS is closer to Universal by a good few miles), either one is a great choice. :wave:

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I would definitely do Universal first. You can't follow up a WDW stay with a Universal stay =)
If you're staying in a Universal hotel, you won't need to really worry about crowds. You'll have an unlimited front of the line pass and will probably do everything you'd like to do in 2-3 days. Which will leave you time to go to Kennedy and Sea World.

Upvote 0

jalpcm

We always do Universal First. I have got to end my vacation with the Disney magic. Universal does have some great rides. They are definitely more adult-geared. We usually only get to vacation for 8 days so I usually just stay at a Disney hotel the whole time and just rent a car for two days. Normally the first day we get in, we go have dinner at one of the Disney parks and just catch a nighttime show. The next two days we head over to Universal and Islands of Adventure. If you have any questions about the parks just let me know. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

WTBAD

If you not going to stay at WDW for the whole time, there's a Holiday Inn Suites accross Kirkman Road from the main entrance to Universal. They have a free schuttle bus to US, WandW, & Sea World. From US it's an easy walk back to the hotel if you miss the bus. there's a Fridays next to the hotel.

I usually do US & IOA after WDW. If you stay at WDW you can go back at night & still do EMH.

Upvote 0

TimonRulz

I actually did that a few years back. I went to Disney for 10 days, then stayed at the Hard Rock for 4 and got the Universal passes to it. I agreee that there isn't a lot to do at the parks, (though I like the Mummy and Spiderman :p). If you stay on site, you can use your room key all you want to get through the Universal Express line and almost hop right on every ride as much as you want. Pretty neat. I go to Universal after Disney because its like my cool down time. When I'm at Disney, I'm having a blast and always on the move. Then I go to Hard Rock and chill at the hotel, catch a Hard Rock Live show if there is one there at the time, eat at Margaritaville and NBA City and Hard Rock, and just relax more or less while still having fun. I love Disney very much,but staying there at Universal after is a nice way for me to end my trips. Its never very crowded (any time I've been there) so you should be good and set. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

stormer

We were in DIsney this year for the last week of August and the first few days of Sept. We went to Universal 2 days, one of which was the Sat. of Labor Day weekend. Universal was empty, especially compared to Disney. Hardly any lines anywhere. Spiderman and the Hulk got busy as the day went on, but only about a 20 minutes wait.

Upvote 0

bluefaery

My biggest complaint with universal is that they havent added a new ride or attraction in IOA since it opened in 1999. I love the parks, but if they arent adding anything new in their Star theme park than whats the point of going and riding the same rides (with no new ones) year after year.

Now I'm not sure if it's IOA or US, but I heard the back to the future ride is getting demolished (SP?) and a new ride is coming in. However I'm not sure what ride.

Upvote 0

lscott933

well when we go there we pick a hotel that has both transportion to both seaworld and universal studio. don't forgot the new park that seaworld in building there. it looks neat if that if what they are planning. we stay at the fairfield inn or country inns both have morning breakfast which is nice.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom