News Disney transforms Magic Kingdom's famous purple wall to celebrate PRIDE Month at Walt Disney World and will donate merch profits to support LGBTQIA+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince-1

Agreed. Thought I like it a lot, and it's one of my favorite family holiday traditions, I also think that it's out of place in a Disney park. Not to "armchair Imagineer," but a more appropriate alternative for EPCOT would be a musical celebration of Christmas/winter holidays celebrated in the WS-represented countries.

As long as all religions are represented then I say go for it.

BuddyThomas

Placement. Adding a mural that represents a modern day movement inside the parks is an interesting move. It’s like plopping modern marvel characters into the parks.
I don’t know about that. If you’re concerned for the children and what conversations this might bring up,I assume that they just want to go on the rides and eat the fun food. They don’t care about this and will just notice bright fun colors. If you’re concerned because it bothers you personally, don’t go to the wall at all, don’t buy rainbow merch or food, or avoid in June. This means a great deal to a great deal of people and maybe just be okay with that, especially considering the number of imagineers, Disney movie animators, composers, lyricists, script writers, and artists of all types, not to mention park cast members who identify as LGBT. And now I have to take my leave and get to a Broadway show, because, after all, what is gayer than that? 😜

Anteater

I don't know... for me a disagreement is not liking Blue Cheese when someone else does, or saying Pineapple on Pizza is the best (which it is!).

Quite frankly there is no such thing as disagreeing when it comes to an entire group of people who exist on this planet, who are real, who were born this way, and who had as much choice as anyone else on who they love.

You either realize that we exist and deserve to be safe and equal, or you see us as some other group that doesn't deserve rights. For me there is no between space.

There is no place for disagreeing, you cannot disagree with that fact that we exist, and that we deserve as much from this planet as anyone else.

Someone can be a bigot and want us to stop existing, and they may have a right to share those beliefs, but they don't have a right to not be shamed for being a bigot. (I am not calling you a bigot, I do not know your stance).
You, quite frankly, aren't listening to other points of view. I don't think people of civil discourse are thinking that way. Threads like like this soon turn into the "anti-proud boys" if left unchecked.

Figgy1

My love… No.
Preach GIF

Anteater

This thread has started to become hateful to anyone that doesn't hold the the same idealogy. Hence, the reason why I chimed in. Stating that someone should be banned if they disagree, etc...

Toleration vs celebration.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBuford

This thread has started to become hateful to anyone that doesn't hold the the same idealogy. Hence, the reason why I chimed in. Stating that someone should be banned if they disagree, etc...

Toleration vs celebration.
That's demonstrably false. I'll repeat what I said earlier: a vitriolic free-for-all isn't the only alternative to an echo chamber. (For what it's worth, I too dislike echo chambers.) It's perfectly possible to disagree with someone while remaining civil, as has happened multiple times in this thread. Bans and deletions are entirely appropriate for those posters who fail to abide by the terms and rules we've all agreed to:

"Be courteous and respect your fellow members. To be clear, personal attacks, aggressive messages, and passive-aggressive behavior is unacceptable."

Telling someone that they are damned because of their sexuality isn't courteous or respectful.

Anteater

That's demonstrably false. I'll repeat what I said earlier: a vitriolic free-for-all isn't the only alternative to an echo chamber. (For what it's worth, I too dislike echo chambers.) It's perfectly possible to disagree with someone while remaining civil, as has happened multiple times in this thread. Bans and deletions are entirely appropriate for those posters who fail to abide by the terms and rules we've all agreed to:

"Be courteous and respect your fellow members. To be clear, personal attacks, aggressive messages, and passive-aggressive behavior is unacceptable."

Telling someone that they are damned because of their sexuality isn't courteous or respectful.
I wasn't involved in that thread. Why are you discussing it in response to my comments?
I think you're demonstrating what I'm talking about. Any disagreement causes an attack against the dissenter.

Disney Analyst

You, quite frankly, aren't listening to other points of view. I don't think people of civil discourse are thinking that way.

My point is, disagreeing about the placement of a mural in a Disney Park is one thing, the conversation about how we are lesser than or an abomination because of some peoples beliefs in any various religion is another. You choose your religion (if not chosen for you at a young age), you do not choose to be a member of the LGBTQ2+ community.

I don't subscribe to the notion that someone can disagree with the very facet of who I am, simply because I happen to be gay. Feel free to criticize me if I drink too much, or don't shower enough, or any number of things. Have your opinion.

But I don't believe anyone gets the power or ability to judge me because I am gay, or to restrict my rights, or to believe I am lesser.

I can't stop anyone from thinking or saying these things, but they can face the consequences based on the rules of this website, and the discretion of the admins / mods.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom