News Disney transforms Magic Kingdom's famous purple wall to celebrate PRIDE Month at Walt Disney World and will donate merch profits to support LGBTQIA+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian

Again, WDW is supposed to be an escape, not a place for cultural or political movements to be promoted, no matter how "just" the movement in particular happens to be. Regardless of discrimination that exists, an entertainment venue where the guests pay to enter and have an experience is not the place to fight discrimination beyond the resort being welcoming and not discriminating against any guest or employee for any reason.
This was the point I made in a now-deleted thread.

I'm wondering if the nay-sayers to this point would be ok if Disney put up a pro 2A banner above the Diamond Horseshoe? After all, rights are under attack!

As for me, that would be equally inappropriate, as the parks should be a place to leave behind the ridiculous political and social fights of the day.

LittleBuford

The rainbow symbol and associated pride movement highlight sexuality and is political in nature. Your example of the prince and princess stories is more analogous to having a gay couple with a child on the guide map (which somebody earlier in the thread said was done). That isn't something that is highlighting sexuality, it is just treating a gay couple as normal/accepted.

A theme park/resort is not the right venue (nor are sporting events) for political/issue demonstration. I am paying to go to MK. I don't want to be forced to consider LGBT rights and other issues while going to enjoy a few hours in a THEME PARK.

I would feel the same if the wall was painted with a Ukraine flag and there was a "support Ukraine" event. Did they have a World Trade Center mural painted after 9/11? Not that I recall and I wouldn't have wanted that either.

Again, WDW is supposed to be an escape, not a place for cultural or political movements to be promoted, no matter how "just" the movement in particular happens to be. Regardless of discrimination that exists, an entertainment venue where the guests pay to enter and have an experience is not the place to fight discrimination beyond the resort being welcoming and not discriminating against any guest or employee for any reason.
Yes, the Pride flag is associated with a cause, but it’s also a celebratory symbol. I don’t see how it’s any more a reminder of the real world than the daily Flag Retreat.

Tony the Tigger

However, these are all old examples.
The only old example is housing discrimination.

Oh, wait, we’ve had marriage equality for all of ten minutes, so you’re right - cease all pride parades at once.

People are attempting to chip away at those marriages as we speak.

No one is attempting to force a church to do anything. That doesn’t mean we won’t hold it against them if they refuse to place adoptions with gay couples.

People can still be fired for being gay.

And I am 100% correct about the new law where I live.

Disney Analyst

Our existence is not political. Our flag is a symbol of our community. Pride is a time to celebrate we have achieved, and a place for us to protest what we still require to live a happy, safe, and equal life.

We are not political, society politicized us. We are just fighting the be on equal ground, in a system we were all forced into.

Brian

Not even remotely the same.
You're right. The right to keep and bear arms is actually an enumerated right in the Constitution. I've yet to be presented with any examples of how civil rights are being denied to LGBT folks in 2022.
No one is attempting to force a church to do anything. That doesn’t mean we won’t hold it against them if they refuse to place adoptions with gay couples.
As is your right. A previous member said that if churches don't allow LGBT pastors, true equality doesn't exist.
People can still be fired for being gay.
No, they can't. You can thank the Civil Rights Act for that.
And I am 100% correct about the new law where I live.
Are you referring to Florida?

Californian Elitist

You're right. The right to keep and bear arms is actually an enumerated right in the Constitution. I've yet to be presented with any examples of how civil rights are being denied to LGBT folks in 2022.
That you tried to compare those who support the Second Amendment to the LGBTQ+ community, in relations to public displays of support in a theme park is absurd.

Brian

Do you truly believe that last statement?

I edited it after your quote to expand on my thoughts, but yes, no one person nor group of people can deny an individual the right to speak their mind in America, based on the listener's own viewpoints.

As said by Evelyn Beatrice Hall: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Medical care can and is being denied in certain states
What "medical care" you are referring to?

Last edited:

Patcheslee

You think there aren't people hiding to avoid being disowned? Take a look at the suicide rates among gay teens and let me know if equality has been reached. Try being a gay or lesbian person trying to be a pastor in the majority of Christian churches and tell me equality has been reached. Give me a brake. I'm sure the mods see it your way so this will probably not last.
Sadly I know of 2 teens whom are not out fully due to negative beliefs around them.
Unfortunately those rates are super high with that age group regardless of their sexuality. currently suicide is the third leading cause of death of individuals aged from 10 to 24.
Part of this is due to schools not even having the ability to do much. DD now 13 was in 3rd grade passed a note that told her to k*** herself with drawings of a person. This past year again in 7th told by a student she should k*** herself overheard by a teacher this time. In neither instance was the student punished, it was a quick call to the parents, that's it since it was the first time each student had been warned for bullying that semester. Meanwhile one of her friends 2 months prior did attempt at school bathroom, the results: her friend was expelled because it caused an interruption to the school day.

Stupido

Hey y'all.

I just want to point out that this thread was previously removed because users kept coming into it baiting fights and others indulged. This is a thread that's documenting actual change in the parks, change that people have been fighting for years to achieve. Sure, there will always be people holding onto the past trying to derail progress. While it's super natural to default into fight mode, I think we should really think about what we're risking by matching that energy. Let people troll all they want, my ignore button has been getting abused over the past few weeks. If someone is dead set on their views to the point that they feel like they need to come into a forum celebrating something just to crap on it, let them. If they want to hold onto the past, let them. Almost nothing we say is going to change their mind. I'm going to keep walking into the future celebrating all the good that's coming.

Last edited:

Bocabear

So ...
Anyone had their photo taken with the new mural ?
Yes we did...and a larger group of us did at the different photo ops they had in each park. It was a very sweet gesture to have these, and there were lines for them in each park. The amount of Rainbow merchandise was wonderful to see...For decades we have made our own shirts and apparel to wear for Gay Days...it was lovely to see the park finally has caught on in the last few years and is officially celebrating with us.

Brian

You are massively uninformed. Disney has always been profoundly ideologically driven. There has been a massive amount written about this topic that you can seek out if you want to better understand the company, it’s films, it’s parks, and it’s founder.
Having worked for the company for several decades in various capacities, I don't need a history less on it's ideology, history, or operations. Thank you.
And I can’t believe it has to be said, but the American flag is a hugely political symbol.
Brave men and women fought and died for that flag. It also happens to be the flag of the territory where they fly, and in the cases of the international Main Street U.S.As, the flag of the territory they claim to transport you to.
So are an almost infinite number of elements at WDW, from Frontierland to EPCOT, from the flag retreat to the Candlelight Processional, from the composition of entire parks to the smallest detail in a land. The idea that the pride flag is uniquely “political” is patently absurd, the product of the sustained attacks on the LGBTQ community that some posters here are trying to deny. The inclusion, acceptance, and representation of LGBTQ individuals is no more political then the inclusion, acceptance, and representation of Irish Americans or any other group.
The difference is that one side of the ideological spectrum, and as a result, overwhelming swaths of American institutions, have taken up LGBT pride as one of their causes. That's what makes it political.

As a result, it has no place in a Disney park.
And no one needs to welcome or even accept statements attacking the rights of a particular group. The First Amendment protects people making such statements from government action. It has nothing to do with whether people who offer such views should be ostracized or whether a private message board should delete such views. The idea that free speech guarantees mean that such opinions must be treated as a valid part of a good-faith debate is a massive misunderstanding of free speech.
Correct. If 1A protections extended to individual to individual speech, it would be chaos. That's not my point. My point is that if you see someone who has a viewpoint which you disagree strongly, you should present facts and arguments to challenge their perception, not call for their censorship.

In other words, the answer to "bad" speech isn't less speech; it's more speech.

LittleBuford

How do you know I am straight?
I apologise for assuming.

Heterosexuality is not celebrated by seeing prince/princess couples in the parade. That's two characters from a story being highlighted in the park. It's not a celebration of straightness.
It certainly feels like a celebration to those of us who don't see ourselves represented in the same way.

I'm happy to replace the word "celebrate" with something else if that's the issue with my statement:

"Heterosexuality is positively portrayed every day, including in WDW, where young children enjoy seeing their favourite prince-princess couples parading down Main Street."

I don't think anyone can dispute that.

Brian

It certainly feels like a celebration to those of us who don't see ourselves represented in the same way.

I'm happy to replace the word "celebrate" with something else if that's the issue with my statement:

"Heterosexuality is positively portrayed every day, including in WDW, where young children enjoy seeing their favourite prince-princess couples parading down Main Street."

I don't think anyone can dispute that.
I don't dispute that, actually. If Disney were to have a same-sex couple as the stars of a new movie (which I suspect is in the pipeline), and it's successful, I also wouldn't really have a problem with them being in a parade.

The reason why I wouldn't have a problem with that is because it isn't an overt embrace of a political/social cause, like pride month murals are, in my opinion.

Brian

So if you are a part of the LBGTQ+ community, why express such negative views toward your own community and a rainbow pride mural?
I didn't say I am; but it's not safe to assume that someone is or isn't. Other LGBT folks on this site and even this thread have expressed why they feel that pride month and/or these murals do nothing for them.

Vegas Disney Fan

Yes we did...and a larger group of us did at the different photo ops they had in each park. It was a very sweet gesture to have these, and there were lines for them in each park. The amount of Rainbow merchandise was wonderful to see...For decades we have made our own shirts and apparel to wear for Gay Days...it was lovely to see the park finally has caught on in the last few years and is officially celebrating with us.

We just got back from a Disneyland weekend and I didn’t see a pride mural in either park or DTD, there was a section of pride merch in a few stores but other than that I wouldn’t have known it was pride month. Are the murals hard to find at WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom