Disney trademarks "Seal Team Six"

Not sure if this has been posted yet. I apologize if it has.
My local news reported this morning that Disney has trademarked "Seal Team Six". This was the name of the group of Navy Seals that did the job on Bin Laden. Does anyone know where Disney is going with this? Just curious.

Just found this online. Kinda answers my question.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpps/en...marks-seal-team-6-dpgonc-20110513-kh_13196708

Disney likes to keep Jerry Bruckheimer busy.

MarkTwain

That is generally why you copyright anything....but WHY would they want to stop others?

My guess is that Disney never actually intends to capitalize on it... they're just grabbing the name as early as possible, so that if any other company wants to make a movie or sell merchandise, Disney can charge them through the nose for the privilege. Anyone else see that as likely?

But even if that was their intent, I agree all the press about this has been a bit of black eye for them, from ranting comments on online news sources to SNL jokes. They really need to be more careful about their public image. :(

HMF

heh... Will they be tracking down Nemo?

Yeah Seal Team Six goes underwater to shoot Nemo above his lucky fin for his terrible attack against the thematic integrity of The Living Seas. It would be one of the best attractions in Epcot. I would ride it every visit. "The Seas with Seal Team Six"

MansionGoer13z

Disney really shouldn't have tried to do it in the first place. It angered me when they did. Glad to hear they are backing away from what would be a stupid decision if they were to get the rights, IMO.

RunnerEd

Too bad. I was looking forward to the new e-ticket where you ride around in jeeps mowing down terrorists.

You can sign up to do that at your local recruiting office. Trust me; it's not nearly as much fun when they shoot back and one of your buddies dies in your arms.

Good decision by Disney to reverse a very bad decision.

TinkerBelle8878

I'm glad Disney changed its mind but did any one else picture animated seals (not the military kind, but the aquatic ones) in some kind of superhero/army gear?

After hearing that Disney was getting the copyright that was the first thing that my mind went to.

Mickey is King

That's what I thought too....Kinda like U.S. Marine Corp, let's see them try to copyright that term!

yeah , gotta agree with you, seal team six is just one of many seal teams obviously, it would kind of be like trying to copyright the 110th mountain division.

(did I get that right? was it the 110th that was so highly pubicized?)

ChrisM

I'm a little puzzled as to why this is even an issue as "Seal Team Six" hasn't gone by that moniker in quite some time, anyway.

Timmay

I'm a little puzzled as to why this is even an issue as "Seal Team Six" hasn't gone by that moniker in quite some time, anyway.

The Navy was concerned about the "6" (since there is no Seal Team 6) but rather by the use of "Seal Team", as there are few of those.

janoimagine

Disney did the right thing here, and I am glad.

I dont think they had much of a choice, they were slammed (and rightfully so) in about every media outlet across the US. I love Disney, but they crossed a line of pubic decency and whoever the idiot was who thought it was a good idea to do so should be looking for a new job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom