Disney to reinvent the theme park shopping experience with new mobile app - Shop Disney Parks

anchorman314

This is going to be great for those of us that shop around for a few days before buying copious amounts of similar souvenirs. I'm in the camp of having to remember where I saw something because I usually wait to see if there is a similar item that I like better. (Do I really need 3 Chip & Dale t-shirts? Probably not...)

This also means no more (or at least much less) guesswork if you've ever had to call the Parks Merchandise guest services number. Those angels were usually pretty good at working miracles ("Can you help me find that orange Grumpy mug I saw in that store in DTD?"). But now, I'll be able to, presumably, see the item for myself before purchasing.

Biff215

So do you think this ends the third party park merchandise resellers?
I hope so, but I guess it depends on how well Disney publicizes this. Most of us knew there were ways to get items not offered by Disney online, but for everyone else, third party was where they went. Since this appears to only be an app and not an online store, I wonder how many people will still not know it's available or not bother to download it.

Jon81uk

While this is pretty cool, it seems like it takes the exclusiveness out of the merchandise at the parks. Now anyone is going to be able to buy any of the merch whenever, and wherever. However, maybe they make some of the offerings still park exclusive? It'll be interesting to see where they go with this

Would be nice if they just made it so you had to scan the barcode of the product while in the park, then you could still buy at home later. That way if you were considering purchasing in the park, you can think and come back to the item later. But it also means you have to have seen the item (and scanned it), keeping it exclusive to the parks.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Just the ability to find something that you saw at one store across the park and couldn't find anywhere else and you're too lazy to go all the way back cross-park to buy it is going to be huge.
Each trip it seems like I see something I want (or more likely, my kids want), and I don't buy it assuming I'll be able to find it at <name large park store like the Emporium or Mousegears> on my way out, then of course they don't have it and I have to make the call to hike back to <wherever it was> or go home without it.

In other words, Disney just added a way to:
a) separate more money from me and my wallet
b) make me happy about that fact at the same time
c) spend less time dragging kids through 100 stores looking for that one tchotchke I really wanted, and more time dragging them onto rides they don't want to go on instead.

I can't see how the personal shopping services can survive this one!
It's a shame, because they plugged a big gap in the market for so long, and also put a huge amount of effort into offering a quality service!
Still, it does look as though they can service the non US market for a while, as it looks as though the official Disney service is only available to US residents?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

We went to Disney in March and one of our "must buys" while were there was the "You Are Here" mugs at the Starbucks. Of course in March, they still hadn't gotten the new/revised EPCOT ones in and the Starbucks in Animal Kingdom hadn't opened, so, we were able to get the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios ones and needed to resort to eBay for the other two. The eBay markup was REDICULOUS! The mugs at the park sold for $15 (I believe), but you couldn't find anything on eBay below about $25 (before shipping). Not sure if these would be excluded given they are sold in conjunction with Starbucks, but if the shipping price was reasonable from Disney, I can't help but think I would have saved some money...

Jahona

I fully support this! I seem to always loose the phone number to merchandise purchasing. I bought the Red White and Blue Mickey pens for coworkers at work. Unfortunately I miss counted and ran one short, for my boss. It took me a while of searching to find the number to have one shipped to me. On a side note there was no tax and the shipping was free.

I think in order for third party resellers to survive they are going to have to change a bit. Collecting certain things that are seasonal or buying and holding on to items to sell them after they have left Disney's inventory.

NYwdwfan

Now I can get the Haunted Mansion nail decals I passed up in DTD last trip. I am quite pleased.

EDIT: Just found them on Amazon. Now I don't need for the app to launch.

71n8bCfWx8L._SL1445_.jpg

Biff215

#2...(Most Importantly) This is a great oppurtunity to buy the magic bands that are sold at the parks before your vacation!!!!!
Is this possible? I know at one point you had to immediately activate the band upon purchase. I'm interested as that would be a nice convenience. We typically forget to do it when we get there and then decide it's not worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom