Disney to raise prices for second time this year

LudwigVonDrake

Evidently demand is high so they'd be fools not get a little more money out of people. The only way the prices won't increase is if demand goes down. I remember 2003, getting 7 nights for the price of 4. We won't see that special again for a long time, if ever :)

LudwigVonDrake

I have a question... if you have a reservation for later in the year and were quoted a magic your way pkg price(room + tickets), will the price quoted stay the same, or will they adjust it to reflect the new prices? I've only put down the deposit, not the entire cost yet. Any ideas? Thanks

They will adjust it to the new price since you haven't paid it off yet...sorry :(

CTXRover

Ticket price increases have a number of different motives. Most often it is a reflection of supply and demand. If the demand for tickets priced at $63.00 a day wasn't there, the demand for $67.00 a day tickets would be even less and thus would negate any benefit of a price hike.

I've heard differing reports, but I believe the summer has been as big for WDW as any other summer, right?. Sure a price hike in tickets can help cover increased costs or decreased profits elsewhere, but if the demand for tickets to the parks weren't there to begin with, increasing the price of other items in and around the parks would have been the way to go to.

$4 a day more is quite the price hike imo and unnecessary, yet it is still "relatively" a good price. I could pay $100-125.00 for a 3-4 hour football game or $125-150.00 for a good seat at a 2 1/2 hr Broadway play or less than half of that for 12+ hrs of rides, shows, parades, etc. Its still pricy, but even compared to some non-Disney parks, its comparable pricing.

Unfortunately, what this likely means is within the week Universal will increase their prices as they always do to match the competition despite not having the crowds nor any substantial new additions to account for it.

Mr Bill

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the price increase where Universal and Sea World stopped matching. Just about every time one of the three raises ticket prices, the other two follow up right away. I get the feeling it won't happen this time though.

majorrfb

Disney ticket increases

Wow. Business must be booming and they are milking every penny. I used to buy park hoppers and saved the unused days, but that was when park hoppers all had no expiration date, you didn't have to pay extra for that perk with the Magic Your Way. They are going to profit big, why else would they raise prices?

But.....
Could this mean Disney is raising revenue to build something new and big??? :confused:
When they build new parks, the tickets always go up. I'm not trying to start another 5th gate rumor, but this may be the start of something amazing...just a thought....

For the record. I love Disney and always enjoy the experience. Las Vegas show average about $95 for a on the strip show. An hour and a half and the experience ends. Having said this, Disney is also like a giant vaccum cleaner trying get every single dollar it can. Orlando is because of Disney.
The price increases do fraustrate but it is still a bargain when compared to other venues.:lookaroun

MissM

Annual Pass prices went up as well. Here WERE the FL Resident rates on Saturday:
1 day 10% savings: $56.70
1 day park hopper: $66.70
Play 3-Day Pass: $120
Seasonal AP $215
Full AP $325
PAP $429

Now?
1 day 10% savings: $60.30 (+ $3.60)
1 day park hopper: $75.30 (+ $8.60) :eek:
Play 3-Day Pass: $120 *same*
Seasonal AP $223 (+ $8.00 )
Full AP $339 (+ $14.00)
PAP $445 (+ $16.00)

Ouch. Non-FL resident prices are even worse.
-m

JEDIsney

Annual Pass prices went up as well. Here WERE the FL Resident rates on Saturday:

Now?
1 day 10% savings: $60.30 (+ $3.60)
1 day park hopper: $75.30 (+ $8.60) :eek:
Play 3-Day Pass: $120 *same*
Seasonal AP $223 (+ $8.00 )
Full AP $339 (+ $14.00)
PAP $445 (+ $16.00)
Thanks for the information.
Ouch. Non-FL resident prices are even worse.
That's what I was afraid of...

Trishnh

Did they raise the prices of 'extras' like the non expiry option? We usually get 10 day non expiring tickets & use them for 2 trips. I cant remember how much it was before, but it seems a lot higher now.:confused: It is getting harder and harder to convince DH to go every year:cry:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
i also believe this is the reason for the increase. gas prices are affecting everything we do. thanks big oil for screwing us in everyway u can

Hmmmm...you chastize "big oil" for $3 a gallon gas, while Disney charges you $2.50 for a 20oz soda in the parks. Both are in business to make a profit and will charge what consumers are willing to pay for the product.

timoteo

Lets see.
Average day is about 10 am to 7pm or 9 hrs. Conservative
$71 / 9hrs = $7.88 per hour.
The average guest can maybe see 2-3 attractions per hour. Conservative.
$7.88 / 2.5 attractions = $3.15 per attraction.
If you see the parade and a live show at an arbitrary say $6.00 per then take off $12.00 from the top which makes the average attraction about $2.62.

My argument. Disney is a bit too cheap. That is why it is so crowded and maintenance doesn't alway occur in a timely fashion and why attractions when updated, few and far between, and a hit or miss. (as in JIYI). I actually would like to see Disney follow a different pricing strategy and make sure the show is knock your socks off and reduce the crowds. This means slightly higher prices, reasonable sized audience, excellent standards, happy cast members, insures the Disney name means quality. I think Disney should shoot for about $3.80 per attraction or about $85.50 per day.

Use the extra $2,000,000 ($14.50 x 138,000 guests) per day to develop new and update attractions, Complete renovations quickly, improve guest services, provide guests with more surprises, find and retain excellent cast memebers.

CoasterKing

My argument. Disney is a bit too cheap. That is why it is so crowded and maintenance doesn't alway occur in a timely fashion and why attractions when updated, few and far between, and a hit or miss.

I think Disney should shoot for about $3.80 per attraction or about $85.50 per day.

Use the extra $2,000,000 ($14.50 x 138,000 guests) per day to develop new and update attractions, Complete renovations quickly, improve guest services, provide guests with more surprises, find and retain excellent cast members.
:veryconfu: :hurl:

Why stop there!! Why not charge, say... $100.00 per day :hammer: Just think how less crowded and better it would be then.:brick:

But if people will pay $100.00 per day, surely they'll pay $110.00:eek: Many people are struggling now just to be able to afford to take a Disney trip. Please don't take away the Disney experience for big families or the less fortunate!!

CoasterKing :king:

Dagger

Wow. Business must be booming and they are milking every penny. I used to buy park hoppers and saved the unused days, but that was when park hoppers all had no expiration date, you didn't have to pay extra for that perk with the Magic Your Way. They are going to profit big, why else would they raise prices?

But.....
Could this mean Disney is raising revenue to build something new and big??? :confused:
When they build new parks, the tickets always go up. I'm not trying to start another 5th gate rumor, but this may be the start of something amazing...just a thought....
heheh :)

AEfx

Hmmmm...you chastize "big oil" for $3 a gallon gas, while Disney charges you $2.50 for a 20oz soda in the parks. Both are in business to make a profit and will charge what consumers are willing to pay for the product.

That's a really bad analogy.

There is a HUGE difference between soda and gas.

One is a necessity for most people, the other is not.

Gas prices are out of control because most of us have no choice but to pay them. Sure, we can minimize our need (for instance, by not driving around alone in a gas-guzzling SUV), but it's still a life-expense that most of us cannot eliminate. It's sick how record profits for them lead to record expense for us...but if you want to defend the fleecing of America by saying Disney charges too much for a sugary soda treat, I guess this concept would be lost on you.

AEfx

AEfx

I used to buy park hoppers and saved the unused days, but that was when park hoppers all had no expiration date, you didn't have to pay extra for that perk with the Magic Your Way.

Actually, you were always paying for this. They just didn't break it down.

MYW took this expense away from the majority of visitors who don't need such a thing. You still have the option of paying more if you want it, but overall making it an option saved more people money than cost people more.

MYW was good for most people because it allows you to only pay for the options you want. Before MYW, you had no choice - super-mega ticket or nothing. It was very irritating for someone like me who just wanted days in the big 4 parks - I don't care about waterparks or Pleasure Island, yet I always had to pay for a ticket that featured them. For a week's vacation I would have paid $350+ at old Disney prices for one of those Park Hoppers, but now I can get an 8-day ticket with park hopping for $260 years later after all these price hikes.

AEfx

WDWFREAK53

I would imagine its the direct and indirect cost of fuel. Overall, if you are saving to go on a ten day trip, at most, its an additional $12 (considering the cost per day average decreases the longer you stay). For a family of four thats $48. Not enough to keep you away, but enough to make a difference on Disney's side of it.

If so...does this mean, when/if the prices of fuel drops, the price of the tickets will? No, the tickets will never drop in price...unless they see a HUGE decline in guests due to the ticket prices.

So, it really has nothing to do with the price of oil. It's all about the buck...that's all, there is a demand and no shortage of people going to Disney, and people will not stop going because they slowly creep the prices up. Now, if they had a huge spike in price all at once, people may think again about going...but...they do it in very slight increments so people say, "Eh, what's another 4 bucks?" vs..."Wow, they upped the prices $25 a ticket!!!!!"

CJR

they slowly creep the prices up.

I know what you mean, but it's not going slowly anymore. A over 10% increase in the ticket price in one year is not what I call slow. An $8 increase to a $60 ticket is more than 10%. I'm sorry, but Disney's getting unreasonable to go to. Not that I will quit, but my trips are bound to reduce some time. It's a foolish decision on their part actually. Sure they get more for the ticket, but they will get less tickets if that makes any sense. After the HCOE, I expect WDW to have a large drop in attendence mostly due to the extremely high price. On the plus side, I don't see Universal or Sea World going up in attendence either. It's safe to say that Disney's definitely hit their peak.

AEfx

If so...does this mean, when/if the prices of fuel drops, the price of the tickets will? No, the tickets will never drop in price...unless they see a HUGE decline in guests due to the ticket prices.

Even if they'd see a huge decline, I still don't think they'd reduce that magical 1-day 1-park ticket so many people seem to be focusing on (and 95% of people never use). They'd loose way too much face.

The real reason I think prices are going up is because so many people are opting not to buy Park Hopper, Plus visits (or whatever they call secondary admissions these days), or no expiration. I never buy the latter two myself, and a shocking amount of people (at least to me) don't buy park hopping. I can't imagine a Disney vacation without switching parks on most days, but there are seemingly a ton of people who don't. I read about it on other message boards all the time, and since it's gone up another $5 I bet even more people are not going to add the option.

Disney has drastically reduced the cost per day for the average guest with MYW, and now they are trying to recover some of it back. I think people forget how much the super-deluxe Park Hoppers really used to cost.

AEfx

AEfx

I know what you mean, but it's not going slowly anymore. A over 10% increase in the ticket price in one year is not what I call slow. An $8 increase to a $60 ticket is more than 10%. I'm sorry, but Disney's getting unreasonable to go to. Not that I will quit, but my trips are bound to reduce some time. It's a foolish decision on their part actually. Sure they get more for the ticket, but they will get less tickets if that makes any sense. After the HCOE, I expect WDW to have a large drop in attendence mostly due to the extremely high price. On the plus side, I don't see Universal or Sea World going up in attendence either. It's safe to say that Disney's definitely hit their peak.

How often do you buy a one-day ticket?

I just bought a 8-day park hopper, and the difference in price before and after the increase was about $12. So my price went up less than $2/day.

Is $12 for a week's admission really going to deter people from coming as you postulate?

People see the "$71!!!!!!!!!" headline everywhere, but the truth is very, very few people actually pay that price. Most pay much, much less.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom