Disney to outsource making of some Audio Animatronics

darthjohnny

Original Poster
Disney to outsource making of some Audio Animatronics

June 13th, 2008, 2:21 pm · Post a Comment · posted by Sonya Smith

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/files/2008/06/disneyfiguressm.jpgThe Walt Disney Co. will begin out-sourcing the manufacturing of Audio Animatronics because of too much demand on staff time, according to an Imagineering memo sent to the Orange County Register.

Audio-Animatronics figures are basically moving and talking (or signing) robotic figures that were started by Walt Disney’s company. Today, Audio-Animatronics can be seen in several Disneyland attractions, which include: “it’s a small world,” Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones Adventure, Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue! and the upcoming Toy Story Mania!.

The memo is dated June 12, 2008, and was sent to all Walt Disney Imagineering employees from Bruce Vaughn, chief creative executive, Craig Russell, chief development and delivery executive, and Kevin Eld, vice president of Disney Creative Production. The memo was sent to and received by the Orange County Register today. Imagineers is Disney’s a word for designers and engineers.

The memo states that after review manufacturing all Audio-Animatronics figures in-house is not feasible in terms of cost and staffing. Instead, Imagineering’s Manufacturing and Prototype Operations group based in North Hollywood will “build some select, highly complex” figures in-house.
http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/files/2008/06/piratesparrowsm.jpgWaters confirmed that the manufacturing of some Audio-Animatronics will be given to outside vendors. She said that over the past years Walt Disney Imagineering has begun to work with outside vendors on the talking and moving figures.

In one example, Waters said Disney employees worked with Chinese vendors to make some of the figures for the “It’s a Small World” attraction at the Hong Kong Disneyland.

“Our industry has generated quite a few heavily-skilled and proficient vendors who can supplement our teams with simple figures with significant oversight by our production team,” Waters said. “This will allow us to focus on creating more sophisticated and advanced figures.”
While Waters said Imagineering’s next step is to focus on the next-generation of Audio-Animatronics, an anniversary is coming for the oldest figures. June 22 is the 45th anniversary of the Enchanted Tiki Room in Disneyland’s Adventureland.

The Tiki Room includes 225 performers, including birds, flowers and tiki poles that spring to life. The attraction opened in 1963 and was the first attraction to function completely via the wonders of Audio-Animatronics technology.

- In the image at top left Walt Disney poses with heads of Audio-Animatronics figures from the “Pirates of the Caribbean” attraction. Photo by Clay Miller, The Orange County Register. In the image at right is an automated figure of Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow in the updated Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. Photo by Ana Venegas, The Orange County Register

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2008/06/13/disney-to-out-source-audio-animatronics/

What does everyone think? It seems promising if Disney can concentrate on even more next generation models and advancements.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
WDIs been outsourcing - including AAs construction - for a long time now.

However, this memo is good news since a) it`s an admission the AA isn`t dead and b) there are more A-100 models - and higher - to be built.

bgraham34

Wow I amazed by that. Thats kind of sacred. I mean Walt pushed for that and now Disney wants someone else to make it.

GeneralKnowledge

It sounds like WDI will still be doing all of the design. I wouldn't expect them to do all of the assembly in house anyway. This seems like a logical way to cut costs while maintaining or potentially increasing quality.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
If they can make AA's cheaper and retain quality and reliability then this can only be a good thing overall...we might see AA's come back into "fashion"

tirian

WDIs been outsourcing - including AAs construction - for a long time now.

However, this memo is good news since a) it`s an admission the AA isn`t dead and b) there are more A-100 models - and higher - to be built.

That's exactly how I view it. (And apparently AEfx does, too. :p)

Imagineering languished for so many years that outsourcing to highly specialized firms is a good move.

tirian

Wow I amazed by that. Thats kind of sacred. I mean Walt pushed for that and now Disney wants someone else to make it.

Walt expected his company to be the world's foremost innovators. Imagineers will still be responsible for developing new and improved AAs; they're just outsourcing the less complicated ones to competent businesses. It's always dangerous to assume you know what somebody else would do, but I do think Walt would probably do this if it meant his Imagineers were free to develop new technology.

maryszhi

though i m sure it is worth it, it is a shame that people have to loose their jobs and source of income.i hope disney gives them replacement jobs

Daneault

though i m sure it is worth it, it is a shame that people have to loose their jobs and source of income.i hope disney gives them replacement jobs

I don't see it that way. I think they just want to concentrate the effort of the imagineers into more sophisticated AA and outsource the basics ones. In my head it's quite logic. Build the ones that are tough to build and outsource the generic ones.

tirian

Wonder if they'll outsource for the Obama AA soon to be added? :rolleyes::lookaroun

I hope the HoP gets updated soon, is restored to historical accuracy, and features only President Lincoln's old speech. The idea of having the current President make a speech was a nice concept, but has proven to be foolish when the President loses popularity or is better known for his s--ual exploits.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Initially, I don't like the sound of it, but I guess it could make sense in the long run... only time will tell, I guess.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No ones loosing jobs - there arn`t enough staff to do the job so it is being outsourced instead of employing more people in house.

If you want to see jobs lost, look at the mass redundancies WED made once EPCOT was completed.... "thanks for that last 3 years. Goodbye..."

WDI always goes through hiring and firing once there isn`t enough work to do after a major project. Sad but true. And sadly a lot of the talent goes to the competition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom