Disney to increase the number of FastPass+ entitlements per day and include park hopping

flynnibus

Premium Member
From a consumer standpoint, Fastpass+ is designed to be a time savings, and Disney is selling at as such.

No FASTPASS was supposed to be a time saver.. FASTPASS+ is a different beast.. accept that and things will be easier to digest. You keep droning on about how YOUR system would be better. Better for what you perceive the objectives to be.. You keep banging your head against the wall because your objectives are not the same as the model Disney is enabling.

ParentsOf4

95% Well I'm sure people are thrilled about the other 364 days a year are.. when they only care about the line right now. I find it AMAZING that my experiences all fall within the 5%. Also, you don't mention where you end up trying to walk up at the last minute. Try doing that with a family of 4 or 5 and see how pleasant of an experience that is.

These are just some of the values of having a FP for a show.
I've been to WDW during some pretty busy times and rarely have ever had a problem getting into most shows last-minute.

Beyond that though, FastPass+ is at least partially about guests having reserve times for the things that matter to them. In this sense, time savings are irrelevant which, I think, is @BigTxEars point.

ParentsOf4

No FASTPASS was supposed to be a time saver.. FASTPASS+ is a different beast.. accept that and things will be easier to digest. You keep droning on about how YOUR system would be better. Better for what you perceive the objectives to be.. You keep banging your head against the wall because your objectives are not the same as the model Disney is enabling.
Well, per Disney's webpage, FP+ is supposed to be both a time-saver and something more.

@RSoxNo1 is focusing on the time-savings aspect.

@BigTxEars is focusing on the something more.

RSoxNo1

FP+ for shows and attractions that don't need them is partly about *perceived* value-- hey, look at all this great stuff you can get FP+ for! What actual value that has is debatable and, as others have said, it depends on the guests.

But let me make an argument that FP+ for shows and minor attractions does add value for everyone using the system. It allows Disney to spread out the total FP demand. By dilluting the pool with "unnecessary" attractions, more FP *return slots* are available for major attractions because a percentage of users, due to ignorance or even personal preferences, are choosing the minors instead of the E-tickets.

Space Mountain can only have X number of FP slots per day due to fixed capacity-- there's a point where you cannot load more than a fixed number of riders per hour. I would also argue that the "optimal" number of FPs distributed each day is less than X-- because at some point too many people in FP lines will not only make the FP line unreasonably long, it will also increase standby times beyond tolerability.

So how do you give the most guests the most value? By spreading out demand on the FP system-- in effect, taking potential FP users away from Space Mountain and distributing them across several minor attractions instead.

Think of it this way... if there are 30,000 FP participants on a given day, and the only FP available is Space Mountain, the FPs for Space Mountain would sell out too quickly and many guests would be left unsatisfied-- without any value to show for their participation in the system.

But take that same pool of 30k guests and give them a dozen FPs to choose from, and the stress is spread across the ride capacity numbers for the entire park.

This mode of operation relies heavily on a set percentage of guests making uninformed or "unique" choices. But even those choices have some perceived value (at least when they're made) and that helps allow those who want to FP Space Mountain get they value *they* want out of the system. So by spreading out demand across capacity park-wide, the system can allow more value for everyone who uses it.

In the end it is still a shell game and the only real solution is to decrease attendance or add real capacity. What value a guest sees in his choice when the standby line for a show is just as short as the FP line is indeed debatable. How long the system can hold up over time is also up for debate, as guests slowly become more educated on how best to work the system.

Sorry for the long-winded post :)
This is a long way of saying they're deceiving guests because they don't have the roster of true Fastpass attractions to accommodate 3 per guest per day.

cw1982

I agree, making it so that every guest needs to get 3 FP+ attractions is silly (it reinforces my other point but I'll let that be in this post). I would argue that by forcing guests to selecting 3 FP+ attractions at a park like Epcot further inflates Fastpass lines and allows the powers that be to talk about the increase in usage. Unnecessary usage of Fastpass at attractions like Spaceship Earth, The Seas with Nemo and Friends and Journey into Imagination is a convenient way to validate their usage when the actual time savings is minimal.

This (among other reasons) is why I want to reduce the number of advanced bookings to 1 as it would eliminate the tiers, potentially eliminate usage at lower demand attractions, and eliminate the uber scheduling months in advance.

Ok... I've already said it as many times as I'm going to; you and I are not going to agree on the idea of reducing the number of FP+. I don't think reducing the maximum is the answer, but would much rather see some other kind of way to make it possible to move beyond the first two without being forced to select one that a guest isn't interested in so that they can have more options after the first two. Let's just agree to disagree and move on. Seems like we have some of the same goals in mind, just different ways of thinking to get there. Neither one of us get to make these decisions, so continuing to debate this is pretty much pointless lol.

RSoxNo1

95% Well I'm sure people are thrilled about the other 364 days a year are.. when they only care about the line right now. I find it AMAZING that my experiences all fall within the 5%. Also, you don't mention where you end up trying to walk up at the last minute. Try doing that with a family of 4 or 5 and see how pleasant of an experience that is.

That's what we would call a logical fallacy. Correlation does not mean causation. Motivations for FP or not are not just about wait times.

Open your mind some and recognize not everyone justifies the same as you do.
  • Is Concierge really necessary to get a reservation 95% of the time? Or do people value the convenience?
  • Do people really want to go through that long snaking line for Nemo the Musical and be herded like cattle... or is there value in having a less crowded, more convenient entrance?
  • Is there any value in being able to NOT CARE if there is a line that day or not?
  • Is there value in knowing a reliable time for something?
  • Is there value in putting something down as a commitment to ensure you do it vs chancing you overlook it in the rush of the day?
  • Is there value in Disney being able to offer CONSISTENT services across attractions.. vs having to say "well you can use this here and here.. but not there, there, or over there, or you really don't need it there"

These are just some of the values of having a FP for a show. Stop trying to weigh FPs against each other (a show FP vs a space mountain FP) and you might have an easier time understanding how some appreciate the offer. Yes Disney did it in large part to boost the FP capacity.. but it's not a one sided deal as you keep painting it.
This is the same argument people make defending the Dining Plan, "we recognize we're not saving money but we like the convenience." I know people think this way, and it's really the only justifiable reason for Fastpass at the 21-23 attractions I listed on most days. So while I think it's a poor reason, it's a reason nonetheless.

Somewhat related to this, as a whole can we all stop pretending that this levels the playing field? The educated guest is still going to benefit more from this system than the less informed guest. Adding FP+ where I argue it doesn't belong just further adds to this disparity.

RSoxNo1

Right, I've established that Fastpass was motivated by guest satisfaction while Fastpass+ is motivated by money.

RSoxNo1

Ok... I've already said it as many times as I'm going to; you and I are not going to agree on the idea of reducing the number of FP+. I don't think reducing the maximum is the answer, but would much rather see some other kind of way to make it possible to move beyond the first two without being forced to select one that a guest isn't interested in so that they can have more options after the first two. Let's just agree to disagree and move on. Seems like we have some of the same goals in mind, just different ways of thinking to get there. Neither one of us get to make these decisions, so continuing to debate this is pretty much pointless lol.
That's the thing, I think there's at least a chance that us as fans can still help shape this system. It's important to be vocal about what you want. I think you framed it correctly by saying we want the same thing it's just how we get there that differs. Having said that, I maintain you wrote, "let's just agree to disagree" to annoy me.

cw1982

I don't believe I engaged in insults, but I did disagree with you and others. If I insulted you, I apologize. However, I have yet to hear a reason why Fastpass+ was added to additional attractions other than what I have presented (to make the math work). I can't stand the approach of, "let's agree to disagree" when someone is unable to defend their side of the discussion. This site is for discussion and just because I'm telling you and others that you're wrong doesn't mean that I'm insulting you. It means that you can either agree that you're wrong, show me that I'm wrong, or no longer engage in the conversation.

As for saying we should be happy about this. Yes, we should be but to me it would be the equivalent of putting in a yeti with less motion. Yes it's an improvement over what's there, but it's far from what it should be.

It's the very idea of you repeatedly insisting that everyone else is wrong that gets offensive (although honestly the other thread I was referring to was much worse than this one). To say you disagree is one thing, but to insist that you, and only you, are right and can ever be right is pretty insulting. It comes across as demeaning and as if your view is the only one that can possibly be right, even when numerous others disagree and have convincing counterarguments. I understand that you are looking at this from a purely mathematical standpoint; the problem is, when dealing with the public and customer service issues, math is never the only issue. There's also the psychology behind it, and some customers care more about having the security of knowing that they will definitely be able to do certain things at certain times than they do about whether or not they are actually saving time.

Edited to take out the comment about agreeing to disagree ;)

cw1982

That's the thing, I think there's at least a chance that us as fans can still help shape this system. It's important to be vocal about what you want. I think you framed it correctly by saying we want the same thing it's just how we get there that differs. Having said that, I maintain you wrote, "let's just agree to disagree" to annoy me.

Actually, no, I did not write that to annoy you LOL... I just read that part. I was looking at my alerts from the top of the list instead of in chronological order... sorry.

While I do know that Disney looks at this site, at the end of the day they will do what they want to do. So we really only have so much say in any of this.

cw1982

I read in a comment on the Disney Blog discussion about this that they hope to have all in place by Memorial Day, but someone else here said that a manager at a FP+ kiosk told them it would be this fall. My gut tells me that they will probably try to have as much of it done as possible before the super busy summer season goes into full swing, but others here disagree with me, so it really is a guessing game.

Maybe someone should start a separate thread taking bets on dates for this stuff ;)

ParentsOf4

I can agree with that :)
The thing is, when Iger or Staggs speak about FP+, they talk about "Disney World guests who want a more seamless vacation experience will have the ability to plan the details of their visit ahead of time" and "the ability to make reservations on some of our most popular attractions; or, more importantly, some of their favorite attractions".

Although they talk about "improving the number of attractions they can experience while they are there", it seems to me they've been positioning MyMagic+ foremost as a trip planning tool.

BigTxEars

The thing is, when Iger or Staggs speak about FP+, they talk about "Disney World guests who want a more seamless vacation experience will have the ability to plan the details of their visit ahead of time" and "the ability to make reservations on some of our most popular attractions; or, more importantly, some of their favorite attractions".

Although they talk about "improving the number of attractions they can experience while they are there", it seems to me they've been positioning MyMagic+ foremost as a trip planning tool.

I think of it as a planning tool as much if not more than a time saver. Like I posted earlier I am 54 days out (yea!) and I have a loose framework of what I will be doing each day of the week we are there. What FPs I have, what ADRs and such. I am indeed park hopping 3 if not 4 of the days we are there so this really helps me put all of that together ahead of time. The older FP system would not do that and in fact could have disrupted my plan if I got FPs that interfered my my ADRs or hopping plans I already had set up. None of which I would have known until the day of, now I could just have ignored those FPs and no harm no foul. But with FP+ I know that will not be an issue and I will get to hit all of favorites while there, including Crush :) That makes me happy and more relaxed about my trip, that matters to me.

Now that is just me, somebody else the FP+ system could screw them up. Any system WDW puts in place other than just get in line and wait is going to be viewed and used differently by different people. I say give me the system, the rules and let me work out how to best use it on my trip. FP+ is a big improvement in that in the flexibility it adds in my planning tool kit.

All of this is just my view, I just do not understand why some can not see that we all view it differently.

Virtual Toad

This is a long way of saying they're deceiving guests because they don't have the roster of true Fastpass attractions to accommodate 3 per guest per day.

Not really deception across the board, because as TX has pointed out, some see genuine value in FPs most of us would question. Or in MagicBands. Or pin trading. Or standing in line 5 hours to see a character. Or dropping in on a busy day to see Stitch's Great Escape at 12 noon without waiting in line because that's what the kids are begging for, and you sure want to work in that afternoon nap. :) Many don't see the value in those choices, but WDW is counting on the fact that some do. It's an integral component of FP+ that a few guests are "deceived" to make a larger number of other guests happy.

I am only guessing, but I would suppose WDW is hoping to use FP+ to spread out the crowds at their discretion, hopefully resulting in lower total daily wait times for most guests. That's why they "suggest" FP return times instead of letting you choose your own from the get-go. It's audacious and totally fascinating when you think about it.

The one constant in the WDW universe is that the best-informed guests still have an advantage. FP+ may alter how much of an advantage but that advantage still exists. Yes, it is largely a shell game. Under the old "house rules" I would have thought a FP for Pirates was ludicrous. But WDW has changed the house rules, and under their new rules, that FP+ I had for Pirates two weeks ago sure had a lot of value for me and my family. EDIT: Did I like it better when average wait times for Pirates were shorter before FP+? Yes, absolutely. But I also like getting to ride Test Track, Soarin or TSMM while sleeping in or arriving mid-afternoon. The new system is the New WDW Order, for now at least, so intelligent and informed guests will naturally find the best way possible to negotiate the parks while using the system to their advantage. That's what we do-- and I'll wager for some of us, it's the thrill of the chase as much as the thrill of the rides themselves. :)

The real issue is capacity, and they will have to address the problem sooner or later. Unless they are using FP+ (and its limited value for day guests) to deliberately upset a critical number of guests with the ultimate goal of actually *reducing* attendance. That seems a bit cynical, even for me, but the current parking prices for day guests has to make you wonder....

Last edited:

BigTxEars

Not really deception across the board, because as TX has pointed out, some see genuine value in FPs most of us would question. Or in MagicBands. Or pin trading. Or standing in line 5 hours to see a character. Or dropping in on a busy day to see Stitch's Great Escape at 12 noon without waiting in line because that's what the kids are begging for, and you sure want to work in that afternoon nap. :) Many don't see the value in those choices, but WDW is counting on the fact that some do. It's an integral component of FP+ that a few guests are "deceived" to make a larger number of other guests happy.

I am only guessing, but I would suppose WDW is hoping to use FP+ to spread out the crowds at their discretion, hopefully resulting in lower total daily wait times for most guests. That's why they "suggest" FP return times instead of letting you choose your own from the get-go. It's audacious and totally fascinating when you think about it.

The one constant in the WDW universe is that the best-informed guests still have an advantage. FP+ may alter how much of an advantage but that advantage still exists. Yes, it is largely a shell game. Under the old "house rules" I would have thought a FP for Pirates was ludicrous. But WDW has changed the house rules, and under their new rules, that FP+ I had for Pirates two weeks ago sure had a lot of value for me and my family. EDIT: Did I like it better when average wait times for Pirates were shorter before FP+? Yes, absolutely. But I also like getting to ride Test Track, Soarin or TSMM while sleeping in or arriving mid-afternoon. The new system is the New WDW Order, for now at least, so intelligent and informed guests will naturally find the best way possible to negotiate the parks while using the system to their advantage. That's what we do-- and I'll wager for some of us, it's the thrill of the chase as much as the thrill of the rides themselves. :)

The real issue is capacity, and they will have to address the problem sooner or later. Unless they are using FP+ (and its limited value for day guests) to deliberately upset a critical number of guests with the ultimate goal of actually *reducing* attendance. That seems a bit cynical, even for me, but the current parking prices for day guests has to make you wonder....

Good stuff, folks on here are explaining how I feel better than I was able to :)

I do think that crowd control / movement is a huge part of what WDW looks to get out of FP+. That's why I thunk it will pay dividends for them for years to come. What will be cool is how they intergrate it in Avatarland as they can do it from the ground up :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom