Disney to increase the number of FastPass+ entitlements per day and include park hopping

jlsHouston

Last November during the Thanksgiving week, @vitani88 and I used a FP+ for the Fantasmic show....we still waited in line. No it wasn't a 30 minute line, maybe 10 minutes tops. We didn't get a reserved seating area like you do with the dining offer, but they weren't bad either kind up high and center so exiting was fairly rapid.

jlsHouston

The thing is, when Iger or Staggs speak about FP+, they talk about "Disney World guests who want a more seamless vacation experience will have the ability to plan the details of their visit ahead of time" and "the ability to make reservations on some of our most popular attractions; or, more importantly, some of their favorite attractions".

Although they talk about "improving the number of attractions they can experience while they are there", it seems to me they've been positioning MyMagic+ foremost as a trip planning tool.

Well that's the sales pitch:)

jlsHouston

This is the same argument people make defending the Dining Plan, "we recognize we're not saving money but we like the convenience." I know people think this way, and it's really the only justifiable reason for Fastpass at the 21-23 attractions I listed on most days. So while I think it's a poor reason, it's a reason nonetheless.

Somewhat related to this, as a whole can we all stop pretending that this levels the playing field? The educated guest is still going to benefit more from this system than the less informed guest. Adding FP+ where I argue it doesn't belong just further adds to this disparity.

Well if I want dessert with every meal, the dining plan saves me money. It really saved me money when it included appetizers. I have now done it both ways, DP and cash or disney gift cards purchased at Target and in conjunction with my TIW card. For me it's pretty much a wash. I have to admit I do like the DP partially because of convenience and partially because if I have a lot of character dining TS meals booked it does save me some cash.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've been to WDW during some pretty busy times and rarely have ever had a problem getting into most shows last-minute.

The big shows they continue to try to stuff them in.. which isn't a pleasant experience. Smaller shows like Turtle Talk they can't do that. VoTLM also isn't as big. You also need to show up at that 'right time' to get that last minute experience. Otherwise, you're waiting to load into the preshow holding.. then waiting in the preshow holding.. etc.

Beyond that though, FastPass+ is at least partially about guests having reserve times for the things that matter to them. In this sense, time savings are irrelevant which, I think, is @BigTxEars point.

Yes, part of it is the 'tour planner' aspect, the 'turn key' aspect, the 'all staged for you', etc. It's not just about a shorter line. If only some would open their mind instead of being followers they might just grasp that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is the same argument people make defending the Dining Plan, "we recognize we're not saving money but we like the convenience." I know people think this way, and it's really the only justifiable reason for Fastpass at the 21-23 attractions I listed on most days. So while I think it's a poor reason, it's a reason nonetheless.

It depends on what you value.. which is the part the other poster was saying yet you kept missing. You're arguing it's better to drive across town to save a nickle on gas... while others are accepting that for convenience they are willing to pay a little bit more. That convenience is a product too. Businesses can shape, cater, and promote products on more than just one metric (cost). Just because YOU value one metric more than another, that doesn't mean that is the only way things are, or that other metrics are worthless.

Somewhat related to this, as a whole can we all stop pretending that this levels the playing field? The educated guest is still going to benefit more from this system than the less informed guest. Adding FP+ where I argue it doesn't belong just further adds to this disparity.

I don't know who you are responding too.. but when people are talking about distributing demand, they aren't talking about leveling the playing field. You're arguing that the educated will have a lead over the non? Are you going to tell me the sun is going to rise in the east tomorrow?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Although they talk about "improving the number of attractions they can experience while they are there", it seems to me they've been positioning MyMagic+ foremost as a trip planning tool.

Correct - as I've been saying for what.. 2+ years now.. This is about redefining the theme park experience -- how people visit and what to expect from a theme park. It's not just FP v2.0 and people need to step back and see the bigger picture if they want to digest the differences.

jeffk410

Although I love the news, It still does not benefit someone who books their fastpass + in the evening. For example, if I were to visit AK in the morning and MK at night during a busy night I would book my 3 FP+ at MK. Since I would not of exhausted the there FP+, I would be unable to book any at AK.

jeffk410

Correct - as I've been saying for what.. 2+ years now.. This is about redefining the theme park experience -- how people visit and what to expect from a theme park. It's not just FP v2.0 and people need to step back and see the bigger picture if they want to digest the differences.

Couldn't agree with you anymore. I fully believe this will revolutionize the theme park industry. It was improve the perceived quality of trip for a higher percentage of guests. Guests will have the ability to accomplish their top priorities.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

Great points made all night. MM+ is not just redefining FP to FP+ and adding MBs, there is so much more going on behind the scenes that can and will redefine theme park experiences for a generation of park goers.

We noticed some of the conviniences in Dec/Jan during our Christmas vacation, the pre-planning which I really hated the idea of was actually quite nice, we only really changed one park and were able to modify times/attractions for most rides during the day if we changed our minds. For us MM+ was a benefit overall.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Couldn't agree with you anymore. I fully believe this will revolutionize the theme park industry. It was improve the perceived quality of trip for a higher percentage of guests. Guests will have the ability to accomplish their top priorities.

Note, I'm not preaching success at this point.. only qualifying the strategy. It was very clear from the onset this is a 'change the way the game is played' strategy to try to create separation between Disney and it's competition. Instead of an attraction arms race - they looked at their strengths and tried to build a PLATFORM that would alter how theme parks are experienced.

It might not be something that plays out for a few more years - but this isn't just 'throw a new offering on top of the park' like the original FP or photopass were.

Personally I'm disappointed with the rollout so far.. but it's not time yet to call the whole strategy DOA.

jeffk410

When will we be able to make FP+ selections for multiple parks? I just tried, but it says it is still only one park per day.

jlsHouston

Although I love the news, It still does not benefit someone who books their fastpass + in the evening. For example, if I were to visit AK in the morning and MK at night during a busy night I would book my 3 FP+ at MK. Since I would not of exhausted the there FP+, I would be unable to book any at AK.

You just described one of my days in March over spring break. We did AK from 9-2 with no FP's, and hit MK from 4-7 with our FP's.

cw1982

You just described one of my days in March over spring break. We did AK from 9-2 with no FP's, and hit MK from 4-7 with our FP's.

From what I'm seeing on Touring Plans, though, it almost looks like you could do that at AK anyway, as long as you hit the headliners first thing in the morning (unless it's a very busy day). Did that work out well for you?

jlsHouston

From what I'm seeing on Touring Plans, though, it almost looks like you could do that at AK anyway, as long as you hit the headliners first thing in the morning (unless it's a very busy day). Did that work out well for you?

Yes, it actually did. We rode EE using single rider option and the only thing with a long wait was Kali. All the parks were really busy that week but using mornings for the headliners and FP+ for the evening (since we park hop) worked where we usually either walked on the rides or the waits were less than 30 minutes...course keep in mind I was traveling with my boyfriend who has a heart condition so our pace was not brisk at all, and DGS7 who wants to do the immersive things so at AK we worked on badges, MK it was sorcerer, and EPCOT we played Agent Perry when we hit the WS.
I have complaints about the FP+ rollout but the concept I like. I was mostly annoyed about the app blips trying to change things on the fly with my phone, which is a galaxy. I gather the app is written first for IOS platform and I think I need Itouch, an Iphone or an Ipad mini to use the app without all the freaking blips...or maybe it was just a having a bad week...o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom