Disney to increase the number of FastPass+ entitlements per day and include park hopping

BigTxEars

Not true - I've and spoken to one and she is very concerned about how the parks are run and guest satisfaction. When she found out I was an AP, she was quite interested in my thoughts - why was I an AP, did I stay on-site, what did I think- I didn't get the impression this was just chatter but a real interest on her part about what guests thought of the parks. And this was a social (non-Disney) setting and I was just another attendee.

Back in the 80s when Disney was in danger of being bought by Sony, the ONLY thing keeping the organization solvent was the Parks.

Great to hear, I would imagine WDW offices is full of folks who feel the same as she does.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not true - I've and spoken to one and she is very concerned about how the parks are run and guest satisfaction. When she found out I was an AP, she was quite interested in my thoughts - why was I an AP, did I stay on-site, what did I think- I didn't get the impression this was just chatter but a real interest on her part about what guests thought of the parks. And this was a social (non-Disney) setting and I was just another attendee.

Back in the 80s when Disney was in danger of being bought by Sony, the ONLY thing keeping the organization solvent was the Parks.

Did you really expect her in an uncontrolled situation to say ANYTHING ELSE - Gods above saying stuff like this to non insiders is Management Training 101. I'd love to hear what she said to her colleagues next day, It probably went along the lines of the statement below.

It would be along the lines of 'Some rube told me that they were concerned about how the parks are run, I gave him the company line and he swallowed it hook line and sinker, I am constantly amazed how stupid our customers are".

Unless you make 7 figures or are a trust fund baby you are NOT going to meet the real Disney insiders.

Most people on this board have never even met with a C level officer of any sizable company or government agency. It's a whole new world up there it can only be experienced not described. I would listen to @WDW1974 and @Lee because THEY have BEEN THERE.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Did you really expect her in an uncontrolled situation to say ANYTHING ELSE - Gods above saying stuff like this to non insiders is Management Training 101. I'd love to hear what she said to her colleagues next day, It probably went along the lines of the statement below.

It would be along the lines of 'Some rube told me that they were concerned about how the parks are run, I gave him the company line and he swallowed it hook line and sinker, I am constantly amazed how stupid our customers are".

Unless you make 7 figures or are a trust fund baby you are NOT going to meet the real Disney insiders.

Or you happen to be an alum of the same school and this was an alumni event..... I have her e-mail, want me to forward your comments about sociopathic corporations?

BigTxEars

Most people on this board have never even met with a C level officer of any sizable company or government agency. It's a whole new world up there it can only be experienced not described. I would listen to @WDW1974 and @Lee because THEY have BEEN THERE.

I don't listen to anyone on the internet forums who uses an alias when they tell me who they have met, much less what they have said when they met them. I like a little more substance to what I believe. And even if said person has "been there" they still inject their personal bias into what they relate. Who knows what bitterness they harbor for said company or person they are "reporting" on.

Everybody is free to listen to and base their beliefs off what ever they so choose, but mine won't be from internet forums with unknown members who I am suppose to trust because they tell me too.

I have met and had conversations with folks who run multi billion dollar corporations. They are no different than anybody, at least I did not catch any of those "villain" laughs from them like in the cartoons :)

RSoxNo1

I'll say it once again. Reduce the advanced bookings to 1 or 2, make it so once in a park guests can only have 2 at a time and when one of those two is used, then you can get a new one. This would eliminate tiers, allow for park hopping, and allow for a reduction of Fastpass+ options where it doesn't belong.

cw1982

I'll say it once again. Reduce the advanced bookings to 1 or 2, make it so once in a park guests can only have 2 at a time and when one of those two is used, then you can get a new one. This would eliminate tiers, allow for park hopping, and allow for a reduction of Fastpass+ options where it doesn't belong.

I respectfully disagree. What one guest values as a FP option might not be worth it for another. While there are definitely cases where FP+ may not be necessary at all due to lack of volume of guests waiting in line to start with, guests also have the option of using those FP+ choices for character greets and preferred seating at fireworks, etc. I also don't think that lowering the limit would get rid of the tier system... it would instead be "pick one from this category and one from that category," but the function and restrictive nature would still be there.

Also, not sure how reducing the number of FP+ would lead to the allowance for park hopping? To me, this is a separate issue.

RSoxNo1

I respectfully disagree. What one guest values as a FP option might not be worth it for another. While there are definitely cases where FP+ may not be necessary at all due to lack of volume of guests waiting in line to start with, guests also have the option of using those FP+ choices for character greets and preferred seating at fireworks, etc. I also don't think that lowering the limit would get rid of the tier system... it would instead be "pick one from this category and one from that category," but the function and restrictive nature would still be there.

Also, not sure how reducing the number of FP+ would lead to the allowance for park hopping? To me, this is a separate issue.
The following attractions do not need Fastpass+ every day:
  • it's a small world
  • Mad Tea Party
  • The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
  • Mickey's PhilharMagic
  • Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • The Haunted Mansion
  • Captain EO
  • Living with the Land
  • Journey Into Imagination with Figment
  • Spaceship Earth
  • The Seas with Nemo and Friends
  • Turtle Talk with Crush
  • Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage
  • The American Idol Experience
  • Disney Junior Live on Stage
  • The Great Movie Ride
  • Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
  • Lights, Motors, Actoion! Extreme Stunt Show
  • Muppet*Vision 3-D
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid
  • Finding Nemo the Musical
  • It's Tough to be a Bug
The only reason why these attractions have Fastpass+ is to make sure all guests can choose 3 FP+ selections. The issue is that these attractions never needed Fastpass+ except for the busiest days (and some of them, not even then). This isn't a matter of personal preference, this a matter of general demand for an attraction.

My proposal is 1 advanced reservation per guest per day. This would eliminate tiers entirely. Then when a guest checks into a park they can get an additional Fastpass+ selection. This would give the guest two Fastpass+ selections. When either of these selections is used a guest can then make another selection. This gives early access as well as same day access, eliminates the need for tiers, and eliminates the need to have Fastpass on attractions that don't need it.

cw1982

• it's a small world
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Mickey's PhilharMagic
  • The Haunted Mansion
  • Captain EO
  • Living with the Land
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Turtle Talk with Crush
  • The Great Movie Ride
  • Muppet*Vision 3-D
  • It's Tough to be a Bug
The only reason why these attractions have Fastpass+ is to make sure all guests can choose 3 FP+ selections. The issue is that these attractions never needed Fastpass+ except for the busiest days (and some of them, not even then). This isn't a matter of personal preference, this a matter of general demand for an attraction.

My proposal is 1 advanced reservation per guest per day. This would eliminate tiers entirely. Then when a guest checks into a park they can get an additional Fastpass+ selection. This would give the guest two Fastpass+ selections. When either of these selections is used a guest can then make another selection. This gives early access as well as same day access, eliminates the need for tiers, and eliminates the need to have Fastpass on attractions that don't need it.

I completely understood your post, but I still don't agree.

I wonder how many people actually use FP+ for the attractions that you have listed here in the first place... probably not that many IF what you're saying is true and those attractions don't "need" them. You may be right about the motive for providing an option for those, but for families with little kids that may not want to fool with the bigger attractions, some of those may be on their radar more than they would for, say, my husband and me. And some of those attractions arguably could be used for FP+ logically... HM and PoTC both frequently have wait times of more than 30 minutes when I decide to look on my phone at wait times... yes, I'm a dork and I do that because I'm excited about my trip lol. Some of the shows and stuff, sure... but arguably very few rides need a FP+ option EVERY single day. If nothing else, having FP+ options for those attractions may be helping to spread the crowds around, making them more manageable in general.

And nothing would eliminate tiers entirely beyond Disney deciding to eliminate them. Even if they only allowed one advanced FP+ selection per day and one additional one once you enter the parks, they could still set up limits on the combinations of those two passes.

I like the fact that you are looking for ways to address the restrictions on FP+, but I don't think your proposal would solve the issues.

BigTxEars

• it's a small world
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Mickey's PhilharMagic
  • The Haunted Mansion
  • Captain EO
  • Living with the Land
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Turtle Talk with Crush
  • The Great Movie Ride
  • Muppet*Vision 3-D
  • It's Tough to be a Bug

Need or desired is the question. Without knowing what WDW knows about the request they receive from their 10s of 1000s of guest we have no ideal what people ask for or want at WDW. Many first time visitors would love to be able to book what you listed above ahead of time I bet. Might not need it but might want to book it so they feel better about their trip. WDW knows what the guest are asking for and what they use FP+ for, we only have conjecture to go with.

cw1982

So what is your all's best guess as to when this will be implemented? We are going 5/9 and it would be awesome to have some of it.

No one knows. I would love for you to have some of that a month from now, because that would mean that things would be up and running for me by June 1 ;)

asianway

View attachment 50672 I heard that DHS won Day 1 of selling MagicBands by selling a whopping 200 of them.

Somebody again explain to me the point of purchasing them? They truly serve no other function over a plastic ticket other than the 10-15 minutes it takes to register the thing online.

And if the MagicBands for purchase are $12.95, are AP replacement bands still the $49 that we were quoted from Disney a few months ago?
Is there a contest? Is that why CMs are hawking these with the zeal of a late night infomercial?

RSoxNo1

I completely understood your post, but I still don't agree.

I wonder how many people actually use FP+ for the attractions that you have listed here in the first place... probably not that many IF what you're saying is true and those attractions don't "need" them. You may be right about the motive for providing an option for those, but for families with little kids that may not want to fool with the bigger attractions, some of those may be on their radar more than they would for, say, my husband and me. And some of those attractions arguably could be used for FP+ logically... HM and PoTC both frequently have wait times of more than 30 minutes when I decide to look on my phone at wait times... yes, I'm a dork and I do that because I'm excited about my trip lol. Some of the shows and stuff, sure... but arguably very few rides need a FP+ option EVERY single day. If nothing else, having FP+ options for those attractions may be helping to spread the crowds around, making them more manageable in general.

And nothing would eliminate tiers entirely beyond Disney deciding to eliminate them. Even if they only allowed one advanced FP+ selection per day and one additional one once you enter the parks, they could still set up limits on the combinations of those two passes.

I like the fact that you are looking for ways to address the restrictions on FP+, but I don't think your proposal would solve the issues.

Pirates and Mansion have seen a large uptick in wait time and it seems to largely be a function of Fastpass+. People are booking FP+ for shows and are getting upset when they can't get right in (they have to wait until the next show).

"Nothing would eliminate the tiers beyond deciding to eliminate them"... The reason the tiers are in place is because Epcot and Hollywood Studios don't have enough high demand attractions to accommodate 3 Fastpass+ reservations without a slant towards Soarin, Test Track, Toy Story and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. If you reduce the # from 3, the need for the tiers decreases. Previously guests were using less than 3 FP per day at these parks and it was less of an issue (same day availability up until noon on the worst days and 3-5 PM on the best days.

Fastpass+'s 3 FP+ per guest per day created a problem that didn't exist under the old system. My proposal is substantially more equitable then what is currently in place. The primary reason why Disney prefers 3 FP+ per guests per day is strictly monitary and has little to nothing to do with Guest Satisfaction. If the system doesn't evolve beyond it's current state and the changes Tom Staggs mentioned, it will continue to be a fundamentally flawed system that will hurt the company more than help them.

RSoxNo1

Need or desired is the question. Without knowing what WDW knows about the request they receive from their 10s of 1000s of guest we have no ideal what people ask for or want at WDW. Many first time visitors would love to be able to book what you listed above ahead of time I bet. Might not need it but might want to book it so they feel better about their trip. WDW knows what the guest are asking for and what they use FP+ for, we only have conjecture to go with.
You're delusional if you think the reason that Disney has these available is for anything other than to make the math work. I'll even give you Mansion and Pirates as debatable for inclusion on my list, your argument is for deception. Your argument is that the first time guest wants a Fastpass that they don't need.

FP+ puts Fastpass where it doesn't belong because Disney is unable or unwilling to compete with Universal in an attraction building war. They can't compete by getting guests to stay in their hotels to see their marquee attractions so they're going to deceive them into staying on property with the incentive of shorter wait times at attractions. They're doing so with a much greater sales pitch then Fastpass has received in over a decade. This is repackaging what's already there, this is deception, and this is a much worse approach than competing with Universal in an attraction building war.

BigTxEars

You're delusional if you think the reason that Disney has these available is for anything other than to make the math work. I'll even give you Mansion and Pirates as debatable for inclusion on my list, your argument is for deception. Your argument is that the first time guest wants a Fastpass that they don't need.

FP+ puts Fastpass where it doesn't belong because Disney is unable or unwilling to compete with Universal in an attraction building war. They can't compete by getting guests to stay in their hotels to see their marquee attractions so they're going to deceive them into staying on property with the incentive of shorter wait times at attractions. They're doing so with a much greater sales pitch then Fastpass has received in over a decade. This is repackaging what's already there, this is deception, and this is a much worse approach than competing with Universal in an attraction building war.

You don't know what the majority of first time guest want, or repeat guest like me for that matter. You know what you want and somehow think everyone else wants that as well. I don't care to go back and forth with you on what I want or what people neither of us know a thing about want. That is pointless.

Unless you have the data that WDW has of FP+ you don't know what their guest are doing or not doing with FP+ it's all conjecture on your part and nothing else. It may be educated conjecture but conjecture none the less.

This is well beyond repackaging, I can tell you 55 days from now where I will be within the hour for the major rides at WDW for 7 days, and I can fit those in with my ADRs and other plans. Legacy FP would have me still wondering if I could outrun that old guy at rope drop and even get TSM FPs much less for what time. Now in fact I would throw an elbow on old guy and take him down if I had to, but you know what I am saying :)

If this drives folks to Uni then that is fine as well. Their system is more unbalanced than FP+, stay onsite there and skip everybody else in line as often as you want. That makes a few non resort guest a little unhappy if I remember correctly.

Disney offers much more to do than Uni already, I have done weeks at both and that is my opinion at least. And I wish folks would stop acting like WDW has not and will not be building anything new. Both FL and Avatar are both large building additions at WDW.

Either way it here to stay so those who just detest don't have to use it. It's optional and there if you want or not.

Last edited:

cw1982

Pirates and Mansion have seen a large uptick in wait time and it seems to largely be a function of Fastpass+. People are booking FP+ for shows and are getting upset when they can't get right in (they have to wait until the next show).

"Nothing would eliminate the tiers beyond deciding to eliminate them"... The reason the tiers are in place is because Epcot and Hollywood Studios don't have enough high demand attractions to accommodate 3 Fastpass+ reservations without a slant towards Soarin, Test Track, Toy Story and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. If you reduce the # from 3, the need for the tiers decreases. Previously guests were using less than 3 FP per day at these parks and it was less of an issue (same day availability up until noon on the worst days and 3-5 PM on the best days.

Fastpass+'s 3 FP+ per guest per day created a problem that didn't exist under the old system. My proposal is substantially more equitable then what is currently in place. The primary reason why Disney prefers 3 FP+ per guests per day is strictly monitary and has little to nothing to do with Guest Satisfaction. If the system doesn't evolve beyond it's current state and the changes Tom Staggs mentioned, it will continue to be a fundamentally flawed system that will hurt the company more than help them.

I don't see how you can say what effect FP+ has had yet; it hasn't been in place that long and is not even fully implemented. There can't be enough data to prove that what you're asserting here is absolute gospel... the data just simply doesn't exist yet. There are preliminary numbers floating around, but I question how well those numbers will hold up when the summer months hit.

I still disagree with your statement about whether or not certain attractions "need" FP+... as others have said, IMO it's not always about the need being there, but you can't say with any amount of certainty what every guest wants to gain out of their FP+ choices. DH and I are 31 and have no interest in using our choices for M&G's or shows, so we are choosing to use them on the big name rides. If we had a young child with us, those choices would probably look quite different, and our priority would be making sure that our kid got to meet favorite characters, etc. So, while I may not need a FP+ for some of those, I would think some parents would find comfort in knowing that they have those options when needed... sometimes shaving ten minutes off of a wait time is a big deal when you're dealing with little ones.

My feeling: keep the advanced selections offering at 3. Keep the tiers even, if they must. But once a guest has used the first FP+ they should be able to add another one so that they never have more than three booked per day at a time. Let them make their selections however they want as long as they stay within the tiers, if the tiers are really that crucial to the success of the program (ie, once I have used my FP+ for Soarin', I would be able to then book one for Test Track, since I would not currently have one reserved for that tier). That would still keep the flexibility of having three selections up front but would open the possibility for enjoying more of the tier one attractions without making it so that only people who are staying onsite have access to those in time to snag them.

BigTxEars

Heck I used one of my FP+s for Turtle Time w/Crush, one for the new Belle experience at FL, 2 for M&Gs and I do not have any kids younger than 11, and he is a boy! People book differently, we are not ride commandos, I like a much more relaxed visit. I am not the norm, but is there even a norm on how to "do" WDW? I think we are all a little different. I think FP+ give us options, even the option not to use it if we don't want. It might not be perfect but how can you design a system to service 1000s and 1000s of different families each day and make it perfect for everyone? Or even close of that matter. I think you design it, communicate it and let people work out how to best use it to fit their style of visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom