Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

yensidtlaw1969

Good. It’s pathetic that Disney is actually working on a lame Armchair Imagineering idea.
As they talked about "Beyond Frontierland" I couldn't help but wonder . . . what are these people showing us that nobody else could have come up with?

"Villain's Land" has been bandied about by every Armchair Imagineer for decades, and shoving Coco and Encanto next to each other back behind Big Thunder is about as thoughtless as anything. Where is the integrity? Where's the perspective? Where is the mystical fifth element that only a rarified group creative brains could have given us?

I don't expect every project to reinvent or reinvigorate the artform. But I expect at least something to do that. Nothing that was "proposed" for the Magic Kingdom today (or really anything proposed today) goes any length towards strengthening the cohesive character of the park. It truly is just a grab bag of ideas that are so obvious we've all thought of them - but even we would have thought to place them more strategically, if for no other reason than that we expect they would hold that higher priority.

I'm shocked that they really managed to leave me thinking less of the company after the presentation than I did before it. I expected so little, and yet they invented new ways to disappoint.

britain

Wouldn’t we already know something is is up by then though considering the project would have to be well under construction to open less from a year out from the parks 70th?
Maybe announced by press release on DL’s 68th this coming July, model and details at following D23 in ‘24?

britain

As they talked about "Beyond Frontierland" I couldn't help but wonder . . . what are these people showing us that nobody else could have come up with?

"Villain's Land" has been bandied about by every Armchair Imagineer for decades, and shoving Coco and Encanto next to each other back behind Big Thunder is about as thoughtless as anything. Where is the integrity? Where's the perspective? Where is the mystical fifth element that only a rarified group creative brains could have given us?

I don't expect every project to reinvent or reinvigorate the artform. But I expect at least something to do that. Nothing that was "proposed" for the Magic Kingdom today (or really anything proposed today) goes any length towards strengthening the cohesive character of the park. It truly is just a grab bag of ideas that are so obvious we've all thought of them - but even we would have thought to place them more strategically, if for no other reason than that we expect they would hold that higher priority.

I'm shocked that they really managed to leave me thinking less of the company after the presentation than I did before it. I expected so little, and yet they invented new ways to disappoint.
To be honest, it simply seems to me like they took the Grizzly/Mystic/Toys expansion plan from Hong Kong and DL’s Galaxy’s Edge, and said, “hey once you leave the berm to go around the river, logical lands are out the window.”

mickEblu

To be honest, it simply seems to me like they took the Grizzly/Mystic/Toys expansion plan from Hong Kong and DL’s Galaxy’s Edge, and said, “hey once you leave the berm to go around the river, logical lands are out the window.”

They could create a new land that’s an Adventureland/ Fantasyland mashup based on South American IP and have rides based on Encanto, Up, Saludos Amigos. Maybe even an Incredibles ride based on that island from the original movie. Coco wouldn’t work there but they should go in the Mexico pavilion anyway.

MoonRakerSCM

This was my take away as well. They made a point of part of this presentation to show us 'blue sky' concepts... and THAT is all they have?

It's extremely concerning.

el_super

There is no guarantee any formal announcement will be made at D23. Concept work like this can be very fluid and decisions to remove portions of the announcement, or cut it altogether, can be made right up until the day-of. A lot can change between now and September that might end up causing the project to be cancelled altogether.

Meh.

There were so many opportunities for transitions in this presentation that I'm really surprised the TL redo wasn't broached at all; I was sure he was going to segue to it when they touched on Tokyo's Tomorrowland, then again at the end when he pontificated about the future.

Something you have to remember: all announcements are made strategically. Disney didn't make many announcements at D23 because... they didn't have to. There was no strategic value in doing so. The parks are doing well, the demand is still sky high, and making announcements now probably didn't make sense.

On the other hand, bluesky concept work is always going on at WDI. They create ideas every single day. Some get a little further than others, but the vast majority of them die off before becoming reality. To be honest, "New Tomorrowland for Disneyland" is one idea that seems omnipresent.

Looking at history: it was nearly 15 years before the initial ideations and the opening of Tomorrowland 98. Some of those ideas got so far that concept art was published (Montana Tomorrowland), and other ideas started having actual job orders for work (Tomorrowland 2055). So even if something gets announced, it isn't a guarantee that the whole project gets completed.

The one thing working toward the eventual announcement of a Tomorrowland redo is that the Subs and Monorail still need to be replaced.

CaptinEO

Interestingly enough the villians concept also was a ride concept in the mid to late 90s, see the first paragraphs on this article:

CaptinEO

That was the dumbest and most awkward moment of the whole panel. They were literally just spitballing ideas on stage while giggling.
I see this as gauging the reaction from the crowd and internet to see what ideas the public wants the most. It'd be cool to have ideas that were non intellectual property based to see the reaction as well. But that's a concept beyond corporate Disney's thought process the last 2 decades.

el_super

I see this as gauging the reaction from the crowd and internet to see what ideas the public wants the most.

They don't need to gauge reaction this way. There are lots and lots of people all over social media posting "please add X IP to the parks" to know that it works.

They do need to show to their investors that they are comitted to smartly leveraging their IP though.

yensidtlaw1969

That was one of my big criticisms of that expansion plan from the beginning - nice as Grizzly and Mystic sounded (and largely turned out to be), Toy Story Land in that same mix was a monkey wrench big enough to indicate that none of it was really all that carefully planned. They just wanted some new stuff and placed it wherever. That we got some nice, original stuff with it was a bonus that is clearly not part of their intended MO moving forward anywhere else.

How much nicer would it be to see Villains Land pop up as a Fantasyland Annex, Encanto and Moana in Adventureland, and Zootopia in Hollywood Studios? I suppose I could live with Coco in Frontierland, but mainly for lack of a better place to put it - EPCOT doesn't really feel right for it either, despite calls for it in the Mexico Pavilion, and the less said about putting it in DHS or DAK the better.

But overall it's silly - these parks need things, no doubt, so if these are the properties you've decided on then just find the right place to put them. There really is enough space that some version of a thematically correct placement can be managed with just a little creativity. If Indiana Jones found room in Disneyland's Adventureland then anything should be possible in WDW. But they really seem to have given up on trying.

CaptinEO

They don't need to gauge reaction this way. There are lots and lots of people all over social media posting "please add X IP to the parks" to know that it works.

They do need to show to their investors that they are comitted to smartly leveraging their IP though.
Then why the awkward presentation section that wasn't even a confirmation of anything?

Their investors aren't watching this, at least not the major ones.

Burgower1994

My opinion with Chapek turning every land to IP land, I think they are waiting for Strange World, Avatar and Elio and to see if they are successful in the movie theaters… Then maybe we get an announcement in early 2024?

Consumer

My opinion with Chapek turning every land to IP land, I think they are waiting for Strange World, Avatar and Elio and to see if they are successful in the movie theaters… Then maybe we get an announcement in early 2024?
Completely missed the announcement of Elio. Judging by this concept art, however, I already hate it. This style of character design is hideous and I'm sick of it.
1663009065370.png

Strange World suffers from this, too.
1663009110508.png

Obviously it's not new. Turning Red also had this awful, truly ugly art style.
1663009151202.png

Disney tries to make a new character that isn't ugly challenge (impossible)

britain

Then why the awkward presentation section that wasn't even a confirmation of anything?

Maybe they see this as how to transition to the Universal model of “No Announcements until a few months til opening.”

They want their sweet D23 hype machine, but they don’t want to commit to anything anymore.

el_super

There's lots of these headlines floating around today:

That's all they really need. Confirmation that they are using their IP.

Phroobar

Completely missed the announcement of Elio. Judging by this concept art, however, I already hate it. This style of character design is hideous and I'm sick of it.
View attachment 666270

Strange World suffers from this, too.
View attachment 666271

Obviously it's not new. Turning Red also had this awful, truly ugly art style.
View attachment 666272

Disney tries to make a new character that isn't ugly challenge (impossible)
The big cheeks and eyes is definitely a look. Does CalArts teach any other art style?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
But overall it's silly - these parks need things, no doubt, so if these are the properties you've decided on then just find the right place to put them. There really is enough space that some version of a thematically correct placement can be managed with just a little creativity. If Indiana Jones found room in Disneyland's Adventureland then anything should be possible in WDW. But they really seem to have given up on trying.
More than that they tried to 'mystify" the expansion by asking, "Have you ever wondered what was beyond Big Thunder Mountain?"

No. I know what is back there.......marshes. Maybe they should build Dagobah.

1663016311950.png

But joking aside, if we stick to the realm of fantasy, I would imagine a prairie or a wilderness, not a Mexican or Columbian village and definitely not a land of villains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom