Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

yensidtlaw1969

This is especially true for Disney submarine rides.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was given an extensive refurbishment in 1993 that included adding props to the queue and changing its music loop.

It closed permanently the following year.
Totally. I think there's a part of me that wants to believe that if they were planning on ditching the Subs they would have just let them quietly stay closed rather than give them a whole big refresh and open this summer only to announce a replacement . . . but there's a bigger, less-naive part of me that knows how easy it would be for them to simply change their mind and close them back up if a shiny enough reason was dangled in front of them.

And just to affirm, I don't really care one way or the other if Nemo stays. It's the Subs themselves and the lagoon that I don't want to lose. If a New Tomorrowland came with a makeover of the Subs to turn them into a better attraction than the Nemo version I would stand and applaud. It's the idea of losing them entirely that I worry about.

lazyboy97o

And just to affirm, I don't really care one way or the other if Nemo stays. It's the Subs themselves and the lagoon that I don't want to lose. If a New Tomorrowland came with a makeover of the Subs to turn them into a better attraction than the Nemo version I would stand and applaud. It's the idea of losing them entirely that I worry about.
Agree wholeheartedly. I generally don’t think anything should be sacred or that something is better than nothing, but I’m a complete hypocrite when it comes to the submarines. They should be sacred and having a lousy attraction is better than nothing. There is nothing about contemporary Disney that makes me think they could develop something more unique, charming and as amazingly integrated as the submarine lagoon complex. Disneyland doesn’t need a warehouse on its horizon.

Homemade Imagineering

I remember last D23 how much I was anticipating a new Imagination attraction to be announced, and the sheer amount of disappointment I felt afterwards. Almost feels like deja vu with this Peoplemover rumor, and I can say that I could very well be setting myself up for the same thing. If not a PM announcement, I beg that it is at least one new attraction, and not a reskin for that matter

CHOX

I'm beginning to think those reports were a little overblown, and just an excuse used to close an attraction rather than fix it. As thinking about it logically if there really was that much damage done where its a safety issue, enough to close down an attraction, would they really leave the track just sitting there hovering over the guests and CMs heads for 20+ years? What about OSHA, would they have allowed it? Probably not.

So me thinks this report of track and support damage is false, or at least very overblown.

I always thought that was just a rumor with no substance peddled by RatChat like “muh dads would swim out to kiss the mermaids in the lagoon”. They’re a gullible bunch.

Captain Neo

I'm beginning to think those reports were a little overblown, and just an excuse used to close an attraction rather than fix it. As thinking about it logically if there really was that much damage done where its a safety issue, enough to close down an attraction, would they really leave the track just sitting there hovering over the guests and CMs heads for 20+ years? What about OSHA, would they have allowed it? Probably not.

So me thinks this report of track and support damage is false, or at least very overblown.

the stuff regarding the peoplemover involving OSHA wasnt regarding track damage. The argument was that in later years the rules regarding clearance between ride vehicles and buildings had changed, the peoplemover was grandfathered in but when they closed it down and replaced it that expired and any new attraction on the tracks would have to conform to new OSHA regulations which would basically require a full tear down and rebuild of the tracks and buildings. This was the story everyone kept spouting i dont think it was ever 100% verified

lazyboy97o

That doesn't excuse the fact that he failed. He should have put the money towards one e-ticket instead.
Program is not the sole discretion of Walt Disney Imagineering, and there was even less control at the time. They have since been given a lot more discretion which is how you get more recent “budget cuts” but even then it’s not absolute.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
the stuff regarding the peoplemover involving OSHA wasnt regarding track damage. The argument was that in later years the rules regarding clearance between ride vehicles and buildings had changed, the peoplemover was grandfathered in but when they closed it down and replaced it that expired and any new attraction on the tracks would have to conform to new OSHA regulations which would basically require a full tear down and rebuild of the tracks and buildings. This was the story everyone kept spouting i dont think it was ever 100% verified
We sort of moved on from this. But the point of my bringing up OSHA in that post you quoted was about an unsafe work environment for CMs if there really was extensive structural damage. Meaning they wouldn't allow damaged tracks just hanging over guests and CM heads in the open walkways of TL.

J4546

i thought i read a rumor on here that they were gonna shorten the PM track so that it doesnt go over Autopia/Subs as well

lazyboy97o

We sort of moved on from this. But the point of my bringing up OSHA in that post you quoted was about an unsafe work environment for CMs if there really was extensive structural damage. Meaning they wouldn't allow damaged tracks just hanging over guests and CM heads in the open walkways of TL.
OSHA though doesn’t really do building inspection. There’s also different types of structural damage that would still be compliant.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
OSHA though doesn’t really do building inspection. There’s also different types of structural damage that would still be compliant.
Yes I understand OSHA doesn't do building inspections. But they do issue violations if something is deemed unsafe for workers from an inspection if left unresolved, ie a knowingly unsafe structural issue left unresolved for years. That was my point with the OSHA comment in that original post that was quoted. Not that Disney would do it anyways, but that OSHA wouldn't let them keep overhead track in TL hanging over guests and CM heads if it was deemed structurally damaged to point of being unsafe.

Which leads into, yes I also understand there are different type of structural damage that wouldn't be deemed unsafe for workers, ie not an OSHA violation.

At this point I think we can move on from this as we're now 3 days away from seeing if there will be a Peoplemover and TL announcement or not.

Captain Neo

i thought i read a rumor on here that they were gonna shorten the PM track so that it doesnt go over Autopia/Subs as well

It’s all from the same rumor source lol

If hypothetically it is real I wonder what the reason is. Is it to save money or to earmark that area later for either Tron or Frozen or something. Personally I would prefer the entire original track to be used and just build attractions around it like the old days

CaptinEO

That doesn't excuse the fact that he failed. He should have put the money towards one e-ticket instead.
Imagineering gets significant changes to projects they are already involved in and committed to complete.

Just look at Rocketrods, Galaxy's Edge, Avenger's Campus, and Superstar Limo. When the budget was cut partway through it didnt mean have WDI go back to the drawing board and make something new.

I doubt Tony's grand vision if money was no object was Tommorowland 98, he was doing a job for terrible management.

I also think Towbridge's vision and ideas for Galaxy's Edge were a million times better than what we eventually got thanks to cut backs. Bantha ride around the land, stunt show, sit down restaurant with show, and interactive aliens and droids roaming the land.

lazyboy97o

Imagineering gets significant changes to projects they are already involved in and committed to complete.

Just look at Rocketrods, Galaxy's Edge, Avenger's Campus, and Superstar Limo. When the budget was cut partway through it didnt mean have WDI go back to the drawing board and make something new.

I doubt Tony's grand vision if money was no object was Tommorowland 98, he was doing a job for terrible management.

I also think Towbridge's vision and ideas for Galaxy's Edge were a million times better than what we eventually got thanks to cut backs. Bantha ride around the land, stunt show, sit down restaurant with show, and interactive aliens and droids roaming the land.
Galaxy’s Edge was not cut back in the way Tomorrowland 98 was cut back. The program of Galaxy’s Edge was cut to keep it within its massive $1 billion budget. Current Disney projects very much the closest any team would ever get to money being no object.

Animaniac93-98

The monorail, peoplemover, autopia and subs are so intertwined that I can't imagine changing one without changing the others.

I understand why they may want to clear space for future expansion, but it would require extensive work and closures to make it happen.

Even if you demo part of the peoplemover track for this reason, you'd still have to alter the others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom