Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

CaptinEO

The most we can realistically hope for is removal of eyesores (PM tracks torn down, new rockets), a total replacement of the carousel building with a new attraction, a total replacement of the 3D theater (maybe revert to outdoor stage space), nice new landscaping and reskinning of existing buildings with coherent design choices.

It's not realistic to expect this management team to replace Star Tours or Buzz. They're "fine." The Space Mountain track was already rebuilt in 2005 and it still packs them in.

We're probably at the point where the whole Sub/Autopia complex is considered to be expendable IF a valuable enough IP comes along needing that space. But TDA wouldn't need to touch it (other than careful jackhammering of Peoplemover pylons) or the Autopia in order to still solve Tomorrowland's most pressing problems and to claim they're making an "All-New Tomorrowland". Any ideas they have for that area are probably going to be considered "New Tomorrowland Phase II" and, you know, won't amount to much.

However...

I'm pretty sure they're waiting to see if Avatar successfully turns into a hit film franchise. If so, Chapek will demand that DLR provides some sort of West Coast representation for the IP. And honestly, the area where Tomorrowland dissolves into Fantasyland is the best area for it. They might not have the room for full on Flight of Passage, but they could do the floating mountains, Navi River (Navi Subs?) or maybe some brand new Avatar attraction that could also be a part of a Pandora expansion at AK at some point.
I don't know about this. Management had no problem redoing Tower of Terror and California Screaming (and all of Paradise Pier), which were also "fine".

They need to throw more Marvel into the parks where possible and I totally see them cloning Iron Man or Ant Man to Disneyland's Tommorowland. It's the cheap thing that I expect from management.

Phroobar

I don't know about this. Management had no problem redoing Tower of Terror and California Screaming (and all of Paradise Pier), which were also "fine".

They need to throw more Marvel into the parks where possible and I totally see them cloning Iron Man or Ant Man to Disneyland's Tommorowland. It's the cheap thing that I expect from management.
They've already used Iron Man on a Star Tours simulator and substituted Buzz Lightyear for Ant Man at Disneyland Hong Kong.

VJ

how many times exactly have people said disneyland's tomorrowland will be redone and nothing's happened?

also, look at the giant construction wall box in the center of the entrance to the land - if something was happening wouldn't disney want to get a move on on that project instead of letting it stagnate like it has been?

As soon as Tokyos plans were announced the chances shot through the roof. Just reading the tea leaves but It’s just hard for me to imagine them talking about a new TL for Tokyo across the street from Disneylands rotting TL without also mentioning something for here.
if something does happen (and that's a big if) it'll be "inspired by tokyo disneyland's tomorrowland" but at 10% of the budget

imagine tomorrowland 98 and you're right on the money

and i say all this with no "insider sources" ;)

britain

Oh I know - I meant the most we could hope for as far as POSITIVE changes go. I don't trust them to replace Buzz or Star Tours with something BETTER, but they definitely could replace them with something worse.

mickEblu

how many times exactly have people said disneyland's tomorrowland will be redone and nothing's happened?

also, look at the giant construction wall box in the center of the entrance to the land - if something was happening wouldn't disney want to get a move on on that project instead of letting it stagnate like it has been?

if something does happen (and that's a big if) it'll be "inspired by tokyo disneyland's tomorrowland" but at 10% of the budget

imagine tomorrowland 98 and you're right on the money

and i say all this with no "insider sources" ;)

I’m not saying the Splash retheme won’t happen. I’m saying I wouldn’t be shocked if it didn’t happen and that I have enough data to make a reasonable argument on why it May not happen. Granted, with some wishful thinking mixed in there.

If Splash sticks around for another 4-8 years I would consider that a win considering we didn’t even know if we’d ever get another ride when they announced it in June 2020. It would also give me enough time to get a few rides with my son and get a proper picture. I used my one bullet during the pandemic so we have a picture with masks on. He refuses to ride it again due to the big drop so it may be a while until I get him on there again.

VJ

I’m not saying the Splash retheme won’t happen. I’m saying I wouldn’t be shocked if it didn’t happen and that I have enough data to make a reasonable argument on why it May not happen. Granted, with some wishful thinking mixed in there.

If Splash sticks around for another 4-8 years I would consider that a win considering we didn’t even know if we’d ever get another ride when they announced it in June 2020. It would also give me enough time to get a few rides with my son and get a proper picture. I used my one bullet during the pandemic so we have a picture with masks on. He refuses to ride it again due to the big drop so it may be a while until I get him on there again.
huh?

Phroobar

The only reason Disney came up with that concept art in 2020 was because of the "Black Lives Matter" thing that year. Disney wanted to jump on board and show they care. Two years later, they haven't done anything. So much for caring.

truecoat

The only reason Disney came up with that concept art in 2020 was because of the "Black Lives Matter" thing that year. Disney wanted to jump on board and show they care. Two years later, they haven't done anything. So much for caring.

Disney is back to associating BLM with the Bureau of Land Management.

Midwest Elitist

Not sure if intentional, but saying it was a "thing" kind minimizes the movement. It was a huge protest across the planet. It was important, but Disney hopping on it was pretty meh.

imagineer97

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
MiceAge wrote today that they expect Tron to be the centerpiece of the New Tomorrowland in Disneyland, and THEN they will redo the Space Mountain ala Tokyo. I don't know if I believe any of that. Where exactly would Tron go in Disneyland? Something would have to be removed, right?

Nland316

MiceAge wrote today that they expect Tron to be the centerpiece of the New Tomorrowland in Disneyland, and THEN they will redo the Space Mountain ala Tokyo. I don't know if I believe any of that. Where exactly would Tron go in Disneyland? Something would have to be removed, right?
Where? I do not see any information on this.

BubbaisSleep

Where? I do not see any information on this.
The Space Mountain redo was presented as speculation in the article. I mean, even the whole piece itself kind of just sounded like pure speculation, creating a whole rumor just based off of TDL's announcement instead of an actual source. That's at least how it appeared to me while reading.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I'm not convinced Rat Chat has credible inside sources.

TRON at Disneyland would be a disaster. I don't see how it could possibly fit without either being a completely different, truncated attraction or absolutely decimating the east side of the park. It also seems redundant with Space Mountain next door, IMO.

No Name

Id bet my money that if they redid tommorowland it would have at least one marvel tie in like the Hong Kong Iron Man ride or the Antman and the Wasp ride taking over Buzz.
I highly highly doubt they’d put a new Marvel ride outside of their Marvel land but they’ve done strange things before.

No Name

TRON at Disneyland would be a disaster. I don't see how it could possibly fit without either being a completely different, truncated attraction or absolutely decimating the east side of the park. It also seems redundant with Space Mountain next door, IMO.
It would visually be the biggest disaster in the park’s history. I don’t think many people realize just how bad it would be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom