Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Figments Friend

They didn’t even keep Tomorrowland on Disney+ lol. I wanted to watch it just for the world’s fair scenes but nope. It must be really bad. Haha.

Actually, it's a great movie if you understand what is going on within it.
Some found it frustrating because a lot of important info is not plainly explained and kept 'shrouded in mystery'.
There are other 'issues' some had with it, but I personally really enjoyed it and found it inspiring.
Some great scenes, terrific musical score, and fx eye candy.

People seem to either love it, or dislike it / dismiss it. Not a lot of middle ground, but well worth a watch.
The Worlds Fair scenes are only the start of the wonders within.

I recommend seeking it out however.
Well worth a watch.

-

Nland316

Site with no name reporting an "exciting" rumor that the Carousel Theater is going to be replaced entirely with a seating area. A bunch of tables replacing a building that is bigger than the space that BLAB or Star Tours use. lol
Only “logical” concept I get from “seating area” would be something ala Epcot’s scrapped festival center.

Would hope it’s not the case, as that seems to be a massive waste of space, but who knows!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Site with no name reporting an "exciting" rumor that the Carousel Theater is going to be replaced entirely with a seating area. A bunch of tables replacing a building that is bigger than the space that BLAB or Star Tours use. lol
I saw this come across one of my feeds this morning and was going to post about it.

If Disney did tear down the building I don’t currently see them adding in another attraction outside of a grander TL redo (which I’m in the minority of thinking it’s not happening any time soon).

I know on busy days during lunch and dinner it can be hard to find seating in TL and additional seating would be welcome. I would prefer it be a well themed area and maybe sold food or treats like Tropical Hideaway. My guess is that they would also widen the walkways a bit while at it to help traffic flow.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Do they really need to demo the whole building just for seating? I would think if they want to use it for seating they could just keep the building and place tables and chairs inside. I know that would be a welcome area on hot days where cool areas are few and far between.

So unless this is a temporary thing just to demo the building for the larger TL redo project later on, I think this might not be a real rumor.

Phroobar

Do they really need to demo the whole building just for seating? I would think if they want to use it for seating they could just keep the building and place tables and chairs inside. I know that would be a welcome area on hot days where cool areas are few and far between.

So unless this is a temporary thing just to demo the building for the larger TL redo project later on, I think this might not be a real rumor.
Also sounds like a complete waste of space with no economic return.

Phroobar

Are they at least going to move Astro Orbiter back on top?
Weren't they originally going to put a bigger version on top but the building couldn't support it without a complete build? They had to put it outside but used the Paris plans to save money.

Even what is left there now was supposed to have a laser and smoke show every hour.

lazyboy97o

Weren't they originally going to put a bigger version on top but the building couldn't support it without a complete build? They had to put it outside but used the Paris plans to save money.

Even what is left there now was supposed to have a laser and smoke show every hour.
They wanted to use the Paris design which weighs more but didn’t want to pay for the required reinforcement. Its possible to beef up a structure so it can support increased loads.

CJR

Just saying, they could easily put seats inside of the current building. Hopefully, there's more to it than that.

Consumer

Honestly, I like the idea of tearing everything down in Tomorrowland, with the exceptions of Space Mountain, the lagoon, and the Monorail (with Star Tours being preserved in Galaxy's Edge). Having a fresh slate to work with would be the best way to move forward with Tomorrowland. My bigger concern would be that Disney would create a generic, modernist Tomorrowland ala Shanghai Disneyland, lacking in any character, whimsy, or imagination. Tokyo's Tomorrowland is easily the pinnacle of Tomorrowland, with its multiple levels, science fantasy elements, and 1980's space aesthetic. Regrettably, Disney seems to think that style is not worthy of maintaining, given the redesign announced for Tokyo's Space Mountain.

britain

I agree, again unless its just a temporary placeholder use of space until the complete redo project. Sort of like they doing it in stages to spread out the costs. Get budget for demo first, then use the space for seating until the rest of the project budget is approved.

Another possibility is that all the seating between Pizza Planet and Space Mountain is being used for something new (maybe taking out the Magic Eye Theater at the same time) and so the Launch Bay area needs to replace that exterior seating.

Phroobar

I was watching a video where someone was talking about their idea for a new Tomorrowland. It included a ride to replace Buzz Lightyear. The ride was called Light Speed. It was kind of the logical evolution to Adventure thru Inner Space except you were exploring the wonders of the Universe. You would jump from planet to planet and see cloud nebulas. It was very science based and looked like it could get pretty trippy. I thought it was a good idea. The rest of the video was uninspired. I was just rearranging the furniture to bring back Tomorrowland '67 with a Tron coaster.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Another possibility is that all the seating between Pizza Planet and Space Mountain is being used for something new (maybe taking out the Magic Eye Theater at the same time) and so the Launch Bay area needs to replace that exterior seating.
In that scenario wouldn't that mean the whole area on the left side of the queue for Space would be torn up? I guess its possible, but that would seem very limiting in what they can do....

britain

In that scenario wouldn't that mean the whole area on the left side of the queue for Space would be torn up? I guess its possible, but that would seem very limiting in what they can do....

Yes, I was thinking they might bring back the speed ramps where the Space Mountain entrance used to be (centrally located over the theater).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom