Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Maybe “scary” isn’t the right word to describe how I feel. But disappointing and underwhelmed are better ones if you want to take your choice of descriptor.

Considering WDI is supposed to be the “cream of the crop” of creativity many of these ideas come across as frankly pedestrian or unimaginative. Not that I’m opposed to bringing new concepts to the parks it’s just all of these ideas (as you noted) are all so predictably “paint by numbers” from a corporate IP synergy pushing standpoint that I feel like many of these ideas - if adopted - would actually reduce the unique value proposition of what make the Disney parks unique vs. the rest of the market (Universal, Merlin, etc).

Again this is only based on what we’re hearing. And this isn’t meant to patronize individuals at WDI since this is all likely a top-down dictate vs an organic brainstorm. It’s debatable if these are enhancing or “plussing” the parks themselves or just promotional tool for other divisions of TWDC.
I think its been said that ideas are thrown around all the time in WDI, sometimes as training exercises for the more junior Imagineers...sometimes as just busy work....sometimes as management directives....and finally sometimes as real projects....

A lot of these rumors of "according to sources" are in my opinion likely from the first two rather than the last two. That is why I don't get "scared", "worried", or even "disappointed" when I hear about such rumors.

There is very little in the Parks that I've had an issue with or get riled up over, and I don't anticipate that to change in the future. Sure there are things I question, decisions made things like that. But if I get to the point where its starts to bother me to the point of getting "scared, "worried", or even "disappointed", well then its time for me to move on.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I think its been said that ideas are thrown around all the time in WDI, sometimes as training exercises for the more junior Imagineers...sometimes as just busy work....sometimes as management directives....and finally sometimes as real projects....

A lot of these rumors of "according to sources" are in my opinion likely from the first two rather than the last two. That is why I don't get "scared", "worried", or even "disappointed" when I hear about such rumors.

There is very little in the Parks that I've had an issue with or get riled up over, and I don't anticipate that to change in the future. Sure there are things I question, decisions made things like that. But if I get to the point where its starts to bother me to the point of getting "scared, "worried", or even "disappointed", well then its time for me to move on.
Fair enough. Like I said I’m not losing my hair over it (nor is anyone else I doubt). Simply questioning/discussing if the creative juice is worth the squeeze, given this is a discussion board.

Disney will do what they want ultimately. Credit where it’s due a lot of these especially more out of left field ideas have been largely batted away to this point.

lazyboy97o

When employment is project based you don’t exactly have a staff just sitting around doing “training” exercises and busy work.

Nland316

Oh is there a rumor about the PeopleMover?

Drag Race Tea GIF by Dawnie Marie
👀

Next Big Thing

I had no idea! I can only imagine wait times get excruciating on peak days.
45 is about the worst you will ever see it. Before they moved Dumbo at MK, that attraction would get far worse wait times (often in the 60-80 minute range). Dumbo is almost always a walk on now. Hopefully that Storybook Circus area will be turned into a Fantasy Springs type of area someday because currently it's a waste of space in the park.

mickEblu

What if It really is just a restaurant going into the Motorboat cruise area? It would be anticlimactic for sure but Fantasyland could really use a decent restaurant. In fact, the East side of the park could use a decent restaurant. Takes up relatively little space and they’d make a boat load of money selling $60+ dinners at a Frozen or BatB themed restaurant. Seems like a Chappy thing to do. Replace the area that’s making 0$ with a high revenue yielding restaurant.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I would actually be fine with an eatery going into that space, as long as it’s fitting and nice. If they restored the area and made it even more quaint, even better. It could be a nice place to eat around.

I’m warming up to the idea but I don’t think it would be quaint. I think it would have to be something like BOG restaurant scale (and maybe even future plans for an attraction too) to justify rerouting the monorail. If by quaint you mean making the area surrounding the restaurant atmospheric and harmonious with Fantasyland then I agree. I’d be nice if they kept some sort of water feature. Even if it’s a little brook like by Pooh with nice landscaping etc.
I’m guessing it would be themed to either Tangled or Frozen.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I’m warming up to the idea but I don’t think it would be quaint. I think it would have to be something like BOG restaurant scale (and maybe even future plans for an attraction too) to justify rerouting the monorail. If by quaint you mean making the area surrounding the restaurant atmospheric and harmonious with Fantasyland then I agree. I’d be nice if they kept some sort of water feature. Even if it’s a little brook like by Pooh with nice landscaping etc.
I’m guessing it would be themed to either Tangled or Frozen.
Yes, that’s what I meant by quaint. A sort of blend into the surrounding Fantasyland area. I would prefer something like that to not be tied to an IP, but who am I kidding?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What if It really is just a restaurant going into the Motorboat cruise area? It would be anticlimactic for sure but Fantasyland could really use a decent restaurant. In fact, the East side of the park could use a decent restaurant. Takes up relatively little space and they’d make a boat load of money selling $60+ dinners at a Frozen or BatB themed restaurant. Seems like a Chappy thing to do. Replace the area that’s making 0$ with a high revenue yielding restaurant.
Wasn’t that the rumor that RatChat had at one point for that area, a BatB BOG type themed restaurant?

mickEblu

Wasn’t that the rumor that RatChat had at one point for that area, a BatB BOG type themed restaurant?

I don’t remember but I think so? I feel like Frozen would make more sense with the Matterhorn next door. Also think Tangled could work. BatB obviously works as well and I don’t think the Red Rose Tavern existing is enough to stop them from just bringing over a a BOG clone. Red Rose would probably be reverted to Pinocchio.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t remember but I think so? I feel like Frozen would make more sense with the Matterhorn next door. Also think Tangled could work. BatB obviously works as well and I don’t think the Red Rose Tavern existing is enough to stop them from just bringing over a a BOG clone. Red Rose would probably be reverted to Pinocchio.
At the time Red Rose was only temporary so I think we all thought it wouldn’t be BatB, but since they don’t seem to care about same theming in different areas I could still see BatB.

MKeeler

I agree on the need for a restaurant on this side. This is partly why the rumor of demoing the Innoventions building for seating baffles me. It’s a shame that couldn’t be updated to hold a kitchen. I know remodels are more expensive but something like Space 220 would seem to be a great fit there (perhaps with an adapted menu). That could even go on one floor and leave exhibition or other space on the other floor.

Or split the difference to where there are two distinct dining experiences utilizing the same technology - Seabase Alpha and Space 220. Ties the neighboring attractions together and just as easy to have a fake elevator that goes down as it is up (cough Hydrolator).

Last edited:

D.Silentu

Interesting talk of adding a formal restaurant to the bygone motorboat area, but from a crowd absorbing standpoint I think an attraction would more useful. Of course virtually anything would be better than what it is now but whatever they chose to add, I hope that park capacity is considered.

mickEblu

So the Matterhorn closes indefinitely on August 8th.

Rumors have been swirling that the Matterhorn needs to be rebuilt.

A week or so ago Scott shares the post about work going In the Motorboat cruise area.

D23 is in 6 weeks.

The Matterhorn typically does not go down for refurb this time of year (at least not that I can remember).

Should we be worried about the Matterhorn? I only ride it maybe 3-5 times a year but I’ll be getting a ride in on my next trip.

Last edited:

TP2000

Would it be crazy if the monorail went through the restaurant? Or perhaps they built around it somehow?

What if a new Frozen boat ride and the monorail and a new Mary Poppins dark ride all went around the restaurant? And it even had a new store. And a snack bar. And a churro cart. Plus an Instagrammable Moment.

Dumb idea, I know.

But it's a big piece of land, and I'm just sitting and thinking like it was 1970, waiting for the beach fog to burn off....

Phroobar

What if a new Frozen boat ride and the monorail and a new Mary Poppins dark ride all went around the restaurant? And it even had a new store. And a snack bar. And a churro cart. Plus an Instagrammable Moment.

Dumb idea, I know.

But just sitting and thinking like it was 1970 or something, waiting for the beach fog to burn off....
Chappie - "Build a clone of the Frozen boat ride like at Epcotty. Forget the Poppin's penguins ride. We aren't Sea World! Remove the monorail thingey. Reduce the restaurant to self serve with no seating, create a big store and maybe a small churro cart if I'm in a good mood. "

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom