Disney tattoo recommendations for guys

wedway71

True, how true!

I didn't know that about the burial thing either. I am not into "organized" religion much anymore either. I mean I have my beliefs and that and they have never changed, but I just don't share some of the same views or beliefs as my church or religion so I choose not to go to mass anymore. But I did always figure I would be buried with my family when the time comes. Crap, now I might have to reconsider again.

Not sure how much emphasis a Catholic cemetary would place on tats.
Im Jewish and its a BIG NO-NO for tats.Im not religious at all and my wife is Catholic so probably not buried in Jewish cemetary anyway. Intersting fact about tats and religion-The nazis put number tattoos on a jews arm for the fact that they knew it was against their religion and they could never be buried in jewish cemetaries with the rest of there familes.

Mikester71

Original Poster
Not sure how much emphasis a Catholic cemetary would place on tats.
Im Jewish and its a BIG NO-NO for tats.Im not religious at all and my wife is Catholic so probably not buried in Jewish cemetary anyway. Intersting fact about tats and religion-The nazis put number tattoos on a jews arm for the fact that they knew it was against their religion and they could never be buried in jewish cemetaries with the rest of there familes.

Oh yeah, I forgot that the Jews were just as strict as the Catholics, probably more so. I didn't know that about the Nazis either, but it doesn't surprise me. :mad:

Nansafan

I consider myself a pretty good Catholic and have never heard anything about tattooing being a no-no. I had many uncles (all Catholic) who were Navy men with some terrific tattoos (WWII vets). I'll have to ask our pastor when I go to church Sunday. I did hear about the Jewish cemetary thing actually on an episode of Miami Ink.

I personally do not have any tattoos but my sister has a gorgeous star gazer lily on her left ankle. She is a pre-school teacher and during the summer wears shorts to work all the time. She got the tattoo as a birthday present from her husband when she turned 39. (I have been tossing around the idea of getting inked myself. I'm considering the Claddagh symbol on my ankle with 9-22-84 (our wedding date) somewhere there also.) BTW, I'm a 47 year old mother of 1, married almost 23 years, Executive Secretary to the Board of Directors of a Chicago company.

Lastly, regarding the Disney line on CM's being tattooed, when my sister worked for the Disney store while in college, they also had a similar outlook on men's facial i.e. no beards and moustaches. Is that still a position with the company?

SallyfromDE

My first thought while reading posts on this thread is, if you don't like or believe in tattos, what the *(%&(##() are you reading it for?

Next, in our area, tattos are around $100 for an hour of work. I had wanted a tat and just didn't know what. My sister said "you need to get tinkerbelle" and it just clicked. That is what I got and I LOVE it. She's about 6 inches tall. The artist was amazing. She was friends with my sister and told her later that she was surprised that I was such a "rock". I got the tat at my ankle, and she said that area has been known to make brut men cry. lol!! It was just a little lip biting over the ankle bone. My Aunt is 80 and went last summer to get a rose on her leg.
My nephew is 18 and wanted a RIP for his grandfather. The artist talked him out of getting it on his forearm as he was young, still in the job marked. He said it should be somewhere he can cover it up when he needed to. Like at work. Yet be uncovered when he wanted. So he got it on his upper arm.

Anyway, as for ideas, think about what it is you really, really like. My BIL has a large goofy on his upper arm. A friend at work has samuri Mickey on his leg.
Did I see Epcot mentioned? Use the symbol without the wording. Do you like villians? I have a BIL with a Scar on his shoulder. A Disney fan would recognize it, but others think it's a lion. Look at pictures for ideas, mine came from a coloring book page.

WDWSwashbuckler

"Tattooing has a rich and multicultural history and is a sacred artform to some cultures." <-- Excellent!!! Exactly!!!

WDWfigment... wow, you must have a nice view up there in your ivory tower, not having to interact with all those unsavory tattood ruffians and flappers... If you have something against people with tattoos in this day and age you really need a reality check... what an antiquated view... that's the kind of thinking that can set a generation back a couple of years.

When it comes down to it, it's just pigment... the colouring of skin... I hope you don't have anything against that either? It's a choice, just like anything else, and if you can't say something nice about someone else's choice....

What if generations are not necessarily progressive, but simply changing? I feel like no one can state an opinion here contrary to the masses without being labled, "narrow-minded". It's just as "narrow-minded" (though I hate that term) of all those suggesting his view is total nonsense. If someone has some opinion different than yours, just accept it and move along. The world is full of people that have different opinions. And you label yourselves as a bunch of progressive thinkers. Give me a break.

Brett

Someone mentioned the Horizons and Living Seas ETC old-school logo's, anyone got pictures of them all?

I don't have my digital camera on me right now, but I'll snap one of my Horizons tattoo later and put it on here.

Disneyfan1981

I love tattoos, good ones are really a piece of art but I still don't have one because I really want to pick one that I know I won't mind for the rest of my life. The only Disney styled tattoo I've thought about is Evil Mickey from Runaway Brain:

09_vcd_mickey_run_col.jpg

Mikester71

Original Poster
I love tattoos, good ones are really a piece of art but I still don't have one because I really want to pick one that I know I won't mind for the rest of my life. The only Disney styled tattoo I've thought about is Evil Mickey from Runaway Brain:

09_vcd_mickey_run_col.jpg

YIKES! That is one scary Mickey. It would make a sweet tattoo though, you are right about that.

Foolish Mortal

I'm sure I'm going to be flamed here by many of you with tattoos, but I would have to say I can't recommend any Disney tattoo, or any tattoo, for that matter. I think tattoos are absolutely tactless. Show your love for Disney some other way than by desecrating your body. So it'll cost $140-200? Spend that money on an item from the WDCC collection or a big figure that you can display in your home. Like it or not, there still is a negative connotation in American society that only drunks, "macho men", truckers, and marines get tattoos. At the very least, get it somewhere inconspicuous, especially if you're working a white collar job.

The only thing in your post that you hit on that was right was that you are going to get flamed. What rock are you living under ? Seriously. This negative connotation that you speak of is pretty much only held these days by old school elderly people and narrow minded persons such as yourself. In my job I encounter at least 2 dozen customers a week face to face and many more people when stopping for lunch, gas....etc. And guess what ? These days I'm noticing just as many with tats as without, And thats the tats that I can SEE. Young, old, all incomes, all races.

Why are you and the other tattoo bashers reading this thread anyway ? The title was pretty hard not to understand. The o/p obviously wants to GET a tat and just wanted advice. If you don't like tats, fine thats your perogative. But why must you share your thoughts in a PRO tattoo thread. Can't we have just 1 thread around here that doesn't turn negative or nit picking :shrug:

As for the o/p, a lot of good advice has been given here. Make SURE you can live with it, and is placement going to be an issue ? Those are always my biggest pieces of advice. I have 5 so far. Don't regret 1 of 'em. I was hoping #6 would be an Eagles or Flyers championship tat but I'm getting antsy for another. Been about 6 years. Maybe a night shot of Spaceship Earth. I'll bet the purple tint would look way cool. Now, should I include the wand :ROFLOL:

Ooops, forgot to mention.....Sorcerer Mickey on my right bicept, Donald on my left.

Captain NoBeard

hi mike

i just got a mickey tattoo (three weeks ago) and am very happy with it:) . i got mickey on the outside of my leg, just below my knee. hi is in full color, is about2 inches tall. the cost wasn't bad ($100ish) and vicki was VERY sterile so i didn't have to worry about catching anything unwanted. i actually only live about 1 hr from sarnia and had mine done in chatham. let me know if you would like more info on where i got mine. i can honestly say i was wondering if i was crazy at the time (first tattoo) but couldn't be happier now!

JCorduroy

I'm sure I'm going to be flamed here by many of you with tattoos, but I would have to say I can't recommend any Disney tattoo, or any tattoo, for that matter. I think tattoos are absolutely tactless. Show your love for Disney some other way than by desecrating your body. So it'll cost $140-200? Spend that money on an item from the WDCC collection or a big figure that you can display in your home. Like it or not, there still is a negative connotation in American society that only drunks, "macho men", truckers, and marines get tattoos. At the very least, get it somewhere inconspicuous, especially if you're working a white collar job.

I can't really agree with this, but you are of course entitled to your opinion. I personally don't have any tat's, but I have friends who do - none of which fall into any of the qualifications you describe above. And how is it desecrating your body? Were someone to think long and hard about it, then make the concious decision to do so, is that really desecration if it's truly what they wanted? Were someone to make a rash decsion, either impulsively or whilst inebriated, then I agree - that's a foolish decision and you deserve what you get. :)

Me, personally, I look at spending 200 on a form of self expression as a statement. If you wish to put something you truly care about onto your body permenantly, then that's awesome! Make your statement - express your love for whatever it is you hold dear to you!

Me? Were I to get a tattoo of something Disney? It'd be this:

wom.jpg

Ella's Mommy

I'm sorry whats wrong with Marines!!!:mad: No one really cares about your opinion. The OP asked for help with what he should get not your narrow-minded view. My hubby is a Marine and has 13 tattoos that are all tasteful and can be covered for his day job and I love them. I also have 2 tattoos that I love. To the OP I would think long and hard before spending that kind of money. I have PRINCESS in script scaling the lenght of my lower back with flowers surrounding it and that cost me $300 nine years ago. It is a pretty large tattoo so I see it as though I got a deal:ROFLOL:

JCorduroy

Tattooing may have a rich and multicultural history and be a sacred art form to some cultures, but alas, we do not live in one of those cultures. The negative connotation is not derived from my personal opinion alone, but from our culture.

Not exactly - if this subject were so taboo, there wouldn't be television shows about tattooing (Miami Ink, anyone?) on a television channel that deals primarily with learning and information. Our society, like it or not, embraces tattoos as a self expressionists art form here in the year 2007. Tattoo's no longer mean that someone is a former convict, or a marine, or that they're drug and alcohol addicts. Heck, two people I know (who are happily married, work together with me holding a steady job) are straight-edge (there goes that drug and alcohol problem!), and they're inked up one side and down the other. And you know what? I look past that - I hired them both based off of their qualifications, not their appearance. If we can't get past the way someone looks - be it skin color, tattoos, piercings, hair style, style of dress - then our society, our country, is far worse off than I anticipated.

Sure, it may be ill-informed, but that doesn't make my disclosure of this negative connotation in our culture an ill informed "opinion"; it's a simple statement of how things are in our society (the above quote shows how the Disney Company itself recognizes this stereotype about tattoos). You may say no one minds the visible tattoos in your office (good point, by the way, anecdotal evidence is usually the best way to refute an argument), but how do you know if people are silently judging them? Perhaps they've been passed up for a promotion or more 'face' job because of the tattoos.

Disney also won't let you have a full beard, goatee, or long hair, so I'm not sure you want to use them as a reference point for corporate america - (heck, just on those criteria alone I can't work there!) :) And I think the quote you mention above actually displays the fact that Disney looks for a more cookie cutter, average person who can immediately relate to anyone who walks into the park - be it tattoo freak, college student, retired couple, working class hero, etc. The important thing to remember about Disney, be it through the parks, movies, or Walt himself, is equality. In those magical parks, watching those movies that move us, or thinking about our 'Uncle Walt' who used to tell us all these great stories - it didn't or doesn't matter what you look like that's important, but rather who you are that is. I don't ever remember watching reruns of the Wonderful World of Disney and hearing Walt say that you shouldn't get Tattoos, or white kids and black kids shouldn't get along - but I do remember him talking to me and my friends, and making us feel special no matter what.

Personally, I work for a 'white collar' Fortune 500, and I can tell you right now we don't discriminate for tattoos. Heck, one of my peers has full sleeves and we're at the same level in Senior Management. I've seen this at almost all jobs I've been in - blue or white collar. The stigma that tattoo's promote an evil sub-culture, or that they promote alcohol or drug abuse is absurd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom