Disney tattoo recommendations for guys

WDWFigment

EDIT: WDWFigment, your post was very narrow minded and ill informed. Tattooing has a rich and multicultural history and is a sacred artform to some cultures. The "Negative connotation" about only drunk macho men get tattoos is completey false, especially since almost all Tattoo shops have explicit rules against tattooing anyone under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Infact the American view on tattoos is getting more lax and many corporate companies don't mind them. Actually there are about 2-3 other people in my office that have visible tattoos and no one here minds.

Tattooing may have a rich and multicultural history and be a sacred art form to some cultures, but alas, we do not live in one of those cultures. The negative connotation is not derived from my personal opinion alone, but from our culture.

Before you get one, be sure you NEVER, EVER, EVER want to work for the Disney Company. And if you do, be sure the tatoo is in a place that can't be seen with a short sleeve shirt and shorts on. Otherwise, you'll end up spending more in make up to hide it than your wife spends in make up.

Sure, it may be ill-informed, but that doesn't make my disclosure of this negative connotation in our culture an ill informed "opinion"; it's a simple statement of how things are in our society (the above quote shows how the Disney Company itself recognizes this stereotype about tattoos). You may say no one minds the visible tattoos in your office (good point, by the way, anecdotal evidence is usually the best way to refute an argument), but how do you know if people are silently judging them? Perhaps they've been passed up for a promotion or more 'face' job because of the tattoos.

As for my posts being primarily negative; they may be more negative than a lot of other poster's here, but I certainly have positive comments quite often. I think I am willing to evaluate Disney decisions with a critical eye, as opposed to a lot of people here who simply think Disney=good.

2excitedkids

I'm sure I'm going to be flamed here by many of you with tattoos, but I would have to say I can't recommend any Disney tattoo, or any tattoo, for that matter. I think tattoos are absolutely tactless. Show your love for Disney some other way than by desecrating your body. So it'll cost $140-200? Spend that money on an item from the WDCC collection or a big figure that you can display in your home. Like it or not, there still is a negative connotation in American society that only drunks, "macho men", truckers, and marines get tattoos. At the very least, get it somewhere inconspicuous, especially if you're working a white collar job.

hmmm, i am not a "macho man", trucker or have been or will ever been in the marines, i am a WOMAN and I have a large tattoo on my left leg above the ankle! i take offense in being judged by something i CHOSE to have done.

I am actually thinking about having tinkerbell put somewhere (haven't chose placement yet), with the initials of my kids in each wing!

banimall

Whatever you do, do not let the tattoo artist freehand it. Bring in the exact picture, exact size and exact placement. Some of the older more experienced artists may even mention to you to not tell anyone where you got said tattoo because as mentioned in a previous post, Disney is very protective over how their characters are used.

Even if later you hate your tattoo just remember the time that you got it and it was great. Of course your tastes will change over the years, you have to think of your tattoo as a stamp in time, not an end all.

Eyorefan

I am still in the debating stages and don't actually know if I REALLY want one or not. Plus the price seems pretty steep too. I realized they wouldn't be cheap, but I don't know if I could justify spending $150 or more on body art right now. I tend to be cheap when it comes to spending money on non-essential things. :eek:

My advise would be to wait until you are willing to spend the money on a quality tattoo. If you think it's not worth the money, you probably won't want it on your body forever. My tattoo artest slogan is "Good tattoos aren't cheap, and cheap tattoos aren't good."

I have three tattoos, the only Disney one is a "hidden Mickey" just the black mickey ears I got tattooed on my head the first time I went threw chemo.

WDWFigment: While I obviouslly don't have a problem with tattoos, I understand where you are coming from. Like most issues in the country I think the population is pretty divided on those who don't mind tattoos and those that do. I know that if I ever came to work with a visable tattoo showing I would probably be fired, or at the very least sent home and told to cover it up.

Also, while there are a lot of beautiful and meaningful tattoos out there, there are also a lot of cheap ugly ones that people just got on a whim one spring break when they were in collage...

PurpleDragon

Tattooing may have a rich and multicultural history and be a sacred art form to some cultures, but alas, we do not live in one of those cultures. The negative connotation is not derived from my personal opinion alone, but from our culture.

Sure, it may be ill-informed, but that doesn't make my disclosure of this negative connotation in our culture an ill informed "opinion"; it's a simple statement of how things are in our society (the above quote shows how the Disney Company itself recognizes this stereotype about tattoos). You may say no one minds the visible tattoos in your office (good point, by the way, anecdotal evidence is usually the best way to refute an argument), but how do you know if people are silently judging them? Perhaps they've been passed up for a promotion or more 'face' job because of the tattoos.

As for my posts being primarily negative; they may be more negative than a lot of other poster's here, but I certainly have positive comments quite often. I think I am willing to evaluate Disney decisions with a critical eye, as opposed to a lot of people here who simply think Disney=good.

Again you are stating personal opinin as fact, maybe it has to do with where you live but in reality tattoos are a common part of the American culture. I mean if tattoos were so primarily negative why would there be 2 popular shows dedicated to the art (and another one debuting this fall)?

Tattoos have been accepted as the norm in todays society. Many pro atheletes have them, movies stars, musicians, etc... The view of tattoos today is alot different than it was a decade ago, tattoos today are no longer signs of a "Bad boy" image or a biker, they are considered a form of personal expression. People get tattoos to mark a point in time of their life, to show pride in their faith or religion, to remember a loved one, to express emotion, etc....

Thsi old antiquated concept of tattoos=bad, is completely wrong and couldn't be farther form the truth. the reason companies such as Disney and other public service companies don't want tattoos visible is to avoid judgemental people like yourself from equating a tattooed person working for Disney= Disney is bad.

As far as whether people are silently judging myself and others in my office behind my back..........WHO CARES!?!? Western society is so concerned about what other people think, it has created an entire industry on outward appearance "enhancement". People get plastic surgery, face lifts, laser treatments, hair removal, lyposuction, and put themselves thru amazing amounts of torture simply because they are overly concerend about what other people think. So IMO I think people with tattoos who don't care what people think are one step ahead of the overly self concious person who gets plastic surgery to impress others.

Okay I'm done....Rant off.:lookaroun

Badger Brent

I waited 5 years to get my tattoo finished. I did the "Fantasia" theme and I'm very happy with it. It wasn't a rushed thing by any means. As far as some OTHER people not liking it, well don't look. My last trip to WDW a lot of people stopped me to look at the detail. I had great feedback from Cast Members also. Do I plan on getting anymore, no. To each his own, but don't judge people by a tattoo.:shrug:

Brett

Tattoos are a form of art and just like any other form of art they can be beautiful or they can be vulgar. It's all a matter of perspective. I have never viewed tattoos as "bad/trashy" unless they were of vulgar content. Personally, I love my Horizons tattoo and I thought about it for over two years before getting it. If somebody sees something as harmless as the Horizons symbol on me and looks at me in negative connotation, then it's there problem. I wouldn't want to know someone that narrow-minded anyways.

Mikester71

Original Poster
Tattoos are a form of art and just like any other form of art they can be beautiful or they can be vulgar. It's all a matter of perspective. I have never viewed tattoos as "bad/trashy" unless they were of vulgar content. Personally, I love my Horizons tattoo and I thought about it for over two years before getting it. If somebody sees something as harmless as the Horizons symbol on me and looks at me in negative connotation, then it's there problem. I wouldn't want to know someone that narrow-minded anyways.

I agree 100%.

Mikester71

Original Poster
I waited 5 years to get my tattoo finished. I did the "Fantasia" theme and I'm very happy with it. It wasn't a rushed thing by any means. As far as some OTHER people not liking it, well don't look. My last trip to WDW a lot of people stopped me to look at the detail. I had great feedback from Cast Members also. Do I plan on getting anymore, no. To each his own, but don't judge people by a tattoo.:shrug:

Agreed. The tat looks sweet too by the way!

Mimi

All I can say is get something with meaning... true meaning. What the one thing I think about when it comes to disney? It's not the attractions or the parks, not the food or resorts, it's one word... family. It's the experiences you share with your loved ones and the memories you create.

Not necessarily. We all have different reasons for being Disney park fans. My family members all hate each other and my memories of them at the parks consist of arguments and people crying. But despite all that I have deep emotional ties to the place.

I love WDW because it itself is a happy place. It is the closest thing we have to perfection on this Earth and being there makes me feel emotions I cannot describe. Without getting too psychological on you, my memories of time spent in WDW, despite family, are some of the few happy memories I have from childhood.

I have a Disney tattoo because it holds a special place in my heart. It is a part of who I am.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
I now offer you the winning suggestion:

A monorail armband with "please stand clear of the doors" in small print english above and spanish below.

(Applause)

Thank you.

(I now actually want to do that myself! :D )

Mikester71

Original Poster

I hear what you are saying. I work with a guy from the Philippines who said that the only ones who have tattoos back home are ex-cons or cons and if you have a tattoo and are neither of these, be prepared to get your butt kicked or even worse.

It is just like some religions don't believe you will go to heaven if you get tattooed because you are desecrating God's work - your body. I grew up Catholic and I know that is what I heard as a child somewhere. I used to believe it, but not so much now. But that has more to do with me disagreeing with some of the Catholic beliefs and we won't go there as that is a whole new topic of its own. :hammer:

Again, I might not totally agree with what you are saying but I can definitely see where you are coming from.

wedway71

When I was in the Air Force I got a tat.
I never told my parents for the fact that its against my religion to desacrate your body but anyway I got ....

a USDA stamp( the same stamp you see on beef) tat on my butt. Yes I was young.

My brother has some tats and he said they are very addictive sometimes and makes you want more and more and more.

I am thinking of getting a classic black and white Steam Boat Willy tat on my upper arm.

Mikester71

Original Poster
Not necessarily. We all have different reasons for being Disney park fans. My family members all hate each other and my memories of them at the parks consist of arguments and people crying. But despite all that I have deep emotional ties to the place.

I love WDW because it itself is a happy place. It is the closest thing we have to perfection on this Earth and being there makes me feel emotions I cannot describe. Without getting too psychological on you, my memories of time spent in WDW, despite family, are some of the few happy memories I have from childhood.

I have a Disney tattoo because it holds a special place in my heart. It is a part of who I am.

You hit the proverbial nail on the head. That is my way of looking at it too. Although I never went as a child, I finally was able to take my wife and kids 2 times in the past 2 years and it instantly became my favourite place on Earth. Whenever I am feeling down or everything is going wrong for me, I think of being down there and of going back there again in 2 years and it makes the day seem a bit brighter. That is maybe why I wouldn't mind getting a permanent reminder inked on my body in some form - a constant reminder of better days ahead.:sohappy:

Mikester71

Original Poster
When I was in the Air Force I got a tat.
I never told my parents for the fact that its against my religion to desacrate your body but anyway I got ....

a USDA stamp( the same stamp you see on beef) tat on my butt. Yes I was young.

Yeah, that was the way I was brought up too - don't mess with God's work.

My brother has some tats and he said they are very addictive sometimes and makes you want more and more and more.

I am thinking of getting a classic black and white Steam Boat Willy tat on my upper arm.

That would make a sweet tat. I was thinking of something classic like that as well.

So do you regret getting one (maybe two here) and do you feel that you did something wrong in God's eyes? Stupid question, but like I said, that was the way I was brought up to (Catholic actually).

wedway71

Yeah, that was the way I was brought up too - don't mess with God's work.

That would make a sweet tat. I was thinking of something classic like that as well.

So do you regret getting one (maybe two here) and do you feel that you did something wrong in God's eyes? Stupid question, but like I said, that was the way I was brought up to (Catholic actually).

I actually at the time didnt think tooo much about what I was doing.If I did I wouldnt have put the beef logo on my butt but hey you live and learn.
Im not a real religious person but now that im "inked" I can never get buried in a cemetary of my faith.
My brother has 6 tats all nautical (ex Navy).Its funny as hell because when my Grandparents and my family all took a cruise one year he could not wear shorts ANYTIME on the boat since he had huge dolphins and sea dragons all over his legs.

Mikester71

Original Poster
All I can say is get something with meaning... true meaning. What the one thing I think about when it comes to disney? It's not the attractions or the parks, not the food or resorts, it's one word... family. It's the experiences you share with your loved ones and the memories you create.

I'm planning on getting a tattoo in dedication to my father who passed away in '98. One of the few places were we enjoyed our time as a family was at Disney. Because of that... my tattoo will be Disney related. I'm planning on having a "partners statue-like" image, with my dad holding my hand facing and pointing to the castle in the backround. It will have also have 3 stars in the sky (mom, dad, and me.) It will be cropped in the shape of a 4-leaf clover, with a worn-banner across the lower have with the word "dad" and his dates. His initials will be on top of the clover, arched, in old english writing. I will not be in full color and will go on my lower back. If I'm blessed with children, Mickey head shaped celtic knots, with they're name underneith it will flank the clover tattoo.

I hope it turns out beautifully for you. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into getting this done and your reasoning sounds right in every way. Please post or send a pic when you get it done as I would love to see how it turns out for you. Good luck with it.

Mikester71

Original Poster
I actually at the time didnt think tooo much about what I was doing.If I did I wouldnt have put the beef logo on my butt but hey you live and learn.

True, how true!

Im not a real religious person but now that im "inked" I can never get buried in a cemetary of my faith.
My brother has 6 tats all nautical (ex Navy).Its funny as hell because when my Grandparents and my family all took a cruise one year he could not wear shorts ANYTIME on the boat since he had huge dolphins and sea dragons all over his legs.

I didn't know that about the burial thing either. I am not into "organized" religion much anymore either. I mean I have my beliefs and that and they have never changed, but I just don't share some of the same views or beliefs as my church or religion so I choose not to go to mass anymore. But I did always figure I would be buried with my family when the time comes. Crap, now I might have to reconsider again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom