Disney tattoo recommendations for guys

PigletIsMyCat

I'm sure I'm going to be flamed here by many of you with tattoos, but I would have to say I can't recommend any Disney tattoo, or any tattoo, for that matter. I think tattoos are absolutely tactless. Show your love for Disney some other way than by desecrating your body. So it'll cost $140-200? Spend that money on an item from the WDCC collection or a big figure that you can display in your home. Like it or not, there still is a negative connotation in American society that only drunks, "macho men", truckers, and marines get tattoos. At the very least, get it somewhere inconspicuous, especially if you're working a white collar job.

Rude and rude.

A couple of years ago I was working for a Fortune 500 company in New York. I was there for three years. I started the job with two visible/partially visible tattoos and ended with four. There were very high up marketing execs with more ink than I. There were IT people with nostril piercings.

Tattoos and piercings are becoming more acceptable and common in American society. The idea that only drunk, truckers, men, or a 'certain type' of woman get inked is ridiculous. I got my first tat at 18 and have added seven more since. I couldn't wait for the day where I could express myself through body art.

And referring to the act of being tattooed as 'desecrating your body' is quite far off. While some religions (specifically Judaism) prohibit tattooes Jews from being buried in Jewish cemetaries with Jewish ceremonies, body art is becoming very well accepted and tolerated. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I find your advice quite offensive. If the OP was thinking whether or not to get inked, your advice might have been appropriate. Since he was asking for ideas and suggestions on what to get/price/place, your post comes off like you're looking down your nose at all of us inked board members, and like you were using the OP's quest for ideas as an excuse to peddle your opinion to the rest of us.

KCBroadway

Here is a picture of my tattoo that I got last year (see avatar) - Obviously you're not going to get Tinkerbell, but I just wanted to show you that you're not the only one! This is on my ankle and it cost $140 (in Rhode Island). My mom actually got the same one on her ankle too - Bonding experience! I thought he did a great job. I was nervous about getting a cartoon so permanently etched onto my body (in a visible location), but I LOVE it. I got so many compliments on it when I went to Disney last summer!

WDWFigment

Its one thing to post your opinion, which is what the forums are for. Its another thing to make outlandish claims based on personal opinion and call them "Facts". I have no problem exchanging personal opinions in an adult manner till the cows come home, but your original post was insulting and demeaning. All I did was post information and facts pointing out the truth that tattoos are more a part of our culture than you realize or choose to admit. I then asked you to do some research of your own before posting outlandish claims and trying to convince people they are fact.

All you did was post facts that point out the truth? Is that what the below is?

EDIT: WDWFigment, your post was very narrow minded and ill informed. Tattooing has a rich and multicultural history and is a sacred artform to some cultures. The "Negative connotation" about only drunk macho men get tattoos is completey false, especially since almost all Tattoo shops have explicit rules against tattooing anyone under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Until you can prove that there is no negative connotation in American culture--which you can't by presenting anecdotal evidence that it's accepted in a few big corporations (corporate culture does vary greatly, compare liberal companies such as Google and Starbucks with more conservative companies like Microsoft)--your supposed facts are no better than my 'outlandish claims'. But then again, you have several tattooed individuals (who probably are biased in this...given that they have tattoos) to corroborate your claims. Give me some citations, and I'll fully concede that you're correct, but until then, all we have is each other's opinions on the topic. (You're fully correct that I should not have presented my opinion as fact. Unfortunately, I can't find credible information to support my claim, but conversely, I can't find any credible information to support yours, either. I do apologize for presenting an opinion as fact.)

Oh, and the thread originator did say he was weighing the options of getting a tattoo, so I'd say my comments advising against getting a tattoo were fully appropriate, given that. He may have specifically asked for design ideas, but again, this is a public forum, and given his comments that he was considering this, it's not like I came out of left field to hijack a thread with my anti-tattoo propaganda. Several individuals with tattoos have said (in this thread) that one should not get a tattoo if they did not have something in mind that was meaningful, etc. By asking for design ideas, it sounds to me like he doesn't have something meaningful in mind...

PigletIsMyCat

After having delivered my two cents worth on the last post, and then reading everyone elses two cents (which, maybe, I should have done first...) I'm here with advice for Mikester.

Between DH and I, we have fifteen tats. Tats always hurt less where there is more meat: mid calf, upper arm, thigh. They hurt more - MUCH MORE - where there is little to no meat - shoulders, back, stomach, chest, ankle, wrist. I think the best places for guys to get inked is on the calf (especially if they have nice calves), the upper arm, or the forearm. Or the chest, depending on the tat. Getting inked on your upper arm or leg will be the easiest to hide for a job - you can wear pants and short sleeves, no problem for business casual. If you go for the forearm, and are in/planning to be in a line of work that might frown on visible Disney tats, you might be resigned to wearing longsleeves year round. Since you said you wear shorts alot in the summer, I'd say go for the calf. You can do long pants if needed to cover it (say, for work or church), but the rest of the time you can show it off.

DH is a mechanic, and is always allowed visible tattoos. He is inked on both upper arms, one forearm, one wrist, two on his chest, and on the back of his neck. His chest hurt the most, than he says his neck. His wrist, he claims, didn't hurt (and, yes, we found a tattoo artist to ink OVER THE WRIST BONE.... ow.). I am inked on both upper arms, both calves, on ankle (which hurt the most), lower back, shoulderblade, and low on my neck.

As for what to get... Mickey!!!! Someone said Steamboat Mickey, cool idea. DH next wants an entire scene on his other forearm, he wants flames going up his arm from his wrist and Chernabog on the most visible part of his forearm with the wings wrapped around. Do you have any fave Disney movies or rides? One that sticks out more than anything else?

PigletIsMyCat

Until you can prove that there is no negative connotation in American culture--which you can't by presenting anecdotal evidence that it's accepted in a few big corporations (corporate culture does vary greatly, compare liberal companies such as Google and Starbucks with more conservative companies like Microsoft)--you're supposed facts are no better than my 'outlandish claims'. But then again, you have several tattooed individuals (who probably are biased in this...given that they have tattoos) to corroborate your claims. Give me some citations, and I'll fully concede that you're correct, but until then, all we have is opinion.

How can you 'prove' that there is a negative connoctation in American culture? If you are asking people to prove there is NO negative connotation, and several people have provided what they feel is evidence to support that theory (working for major companies, etc.), you should be prepared to offer evidence that there is a negative connotation with tattooed people. The reason WDW doesn't allow visible tattooes and piercings is the same reason they used to disallow long hair on men - so far as to turn away male guests with long hair - because it was so looked down upon by such a large percentage of cultures. Now, I see kids from England visiting the parks with more facial piercings than I have had! Plenty of grandmas from America and overseas with visible ink! Worldwide, the stigmas that used to be applied to 'tattooed individuals' are starting to fall away as people realize that everyone gets tattoos and piercings for different reasons, and not everyone who gets them is a drunk/druggie/punk/emo/goth/sailor/truck driver/mechanic. No one forces anyone else to get inked or pierced; it's a personal decision that usually involves alot more than just picking one and paying for it.

WDWFigment

I was probably editing my post while you were typing your response, since my last edit time is a minute before your post, but I added the bolded part during that edit:

Give me some citations, and I'll fully concede that you're correct, but until then, all we have is each other's opinions on the topic. (You're fully correct that I should not have presented my opinion as fact. Unfortunately, I can't find credible information to support my claim, but conversely, I can't find any credible information to support yours, either. I do apologize for presenting an opinion as fact.)

PurpleDragon

WDWFigment you seemed to have conveniently ignored the whole fact that people have been pointing out that there are 2 popular shows on TV right now all about tattooing, Miami Ink and Tattoo Stories (LA Ink is debuting this fall I believe). If tattoing is so taboo why do these shows exist? Why are they so popular, enough so to warrant TLC releasing a second show (LA Ink) based around the same subject matter? Why do we not hear people complaining about the large number of visible tattoos on popular sports figures and other roll models in our society?

PigletIsMyCat

If you search using Google for terms like 'body art in america', 'tattoos and piercings acceptable in american society', 'body modification in america', and 'body modification in american society', most of the thesis and articles that come up are about how it is being more accepted in American society. I'm not sure how interested you would be in thesis and articles, since they're really just other people's opinions. I feel that since there was such a large amount of links that came up that dealt with the rising acceptance of body modifications/body art by the general population, it seems that body mod/body art is indeed becoming more common and more acceptable in society. Most of the articles that are against body mod/body art are religious in nature.

WDWFigment

PurpleDragon, I see your point about TV shows, but I also think people watch shows for a variety of reasons. One reason being that they aren't familiar with the subject, so they want to learn about it. Another is entertainment value (has aspects of comedy, romance, etc). Having seen neither of these shows, I can't comment on that, but I know two of my favorite shows (and very popular shows, at that) depict topics I have no personal stake in whatsoever: Six Feet Under (funeral directors) and Big Love (polygamists). Other people might watch things that pertain to their lifestyle, etc, but I think there are many different reasons for TV shows (or types of shows) being popular.

WDWFigment

Google brings back all sorts of articles, including ones from blogs and op eds.. If you find any articles on Google Scholar about these topics (these would more likely be credible sources, i.e. articles written by social scientists), I would be more than happy to read them. I too saw the religious articles, and admittedly, most/all seemed propagandish, but do keep in mind that a large portion of America is still religious, so those opinions might reflect the opinions of many religious individuals.

PurpleDragon

Well I think we all can agree that the internet can be your best friend and worst enemy when it comes to looking for information to support or refute claims.

Point we are trying to make here WDWFigment is with many of us being tattooed individuals, we are not treated as outcasts because of our choice to get a tat, we are not treated any differently than anyone else. Infact in some situations we attract additional attention from curious people interested in the art of tattooing. I have one on my wrist that is a great conversation starter and I've made a few new friends because of it.

Based on our personal experience we can personally say that tattoos are more widely accepted in society that you realize. :D

WDWFigment

Well I think we all can agree that the internet can be your best friend and worst enemy when it comes to looking for information to support or refute claims.

Point we are trying to make here WDWFigment is with many of us being tattooed individuals, we are not treated as outcasts because of our choice to get a tat, we are not treated any differently than anyone else. Infact in some situations we attract additional attention from curious people interested in the art of tattooing. I have one on my wrist that is a great conversation starter and I've made a few new friends because of it.

Based on our personal experience we can personally say that tattoos are more widely accepted in society that you realize. :D

That's fair enough; it sounds like plenty of you are more than happy with your decision to get tattoos and have good personal reasons behind those decisions. My original statement was probably condescending (okay, was definitely condescending--desecrate is a strong word, especially when we're only talking about tattoos here), and I don't want to offend or alienate any additional individuals, nor do I want to come across as some close-minded zealot, so I will drop this argument.

In the spirit of the actual topic, if I were to get one, it would be Dreamfinder holding Figment with the JII pavilion in the background. I have wanted a painting of this scene for years.

Mikester71

Original Poster
Here is a picture of my tattoo that I got last year (see avatar) - Obviously you're not going to get Tinkerbell, but I just wanted to show you that you're not the only one! This is on my ankle and it cost $140 (in Rhode Island). My mom actually got the same one on her ankle too - Bonding experience! I thought he did a great job. I was nervous about getting a cartoon so permanently etched onto my body (in a visible location), but I LOVE it. I got so many compliments on it when I went to Disney last summer!

Thanks for sharing your tat with us! Glad to hear that you love it, and so you should, as it looks really cool (better on a girl though I must admit). :ROFLOL:That is cool about your mom getting inked right along side you too! And the price seems pretty fair for something that size and with all the colour and that.

Mimi

That's fair enough; it sounds like plenty of you are more than happy with your decision to get tattoos and have good personal reasons behind those decisions. My original statement was probably condescending (okay, was definitely condescending--desecrate is a strong word, especially when we're only talking about tattoos here), and I don't want to offend or alienate any additional individuals, nor do I want to come across as some close-minded zealot, so I will drop this argument.

In the spirit of the actual topic, if I were to get one, it would be Dreamfinder holding Figment with the JII pavilion in the background. I have wanted a painting of this scene for years.

At the risk of falling victim to the lions myself, I feel compelled to say:

Wow. This web site seems to have broken yet another poster. While I disagree with WDWFigment's original post I don't think it warranted such a ferocious backlash.

Relax.

We are all here just to talk about Disney things and have some fun. A little kindness now and then would be appropriate... in keeping with the overall theme. Let's try to think happy thoughts!!

Mikester71

Original Poster
Oh, and the thread originator did say he was weighing the options of getting a tattoo, so I'd say my comments advising against getting a tattoo were fully appropriate, given that. He may have specifically asked for design ideas, but again, this is a public forum, and given his comments that he was considering this, it's not like I came out of left field to hijack a thread with my anti-tattoo propaganda. Several individuals with tattoos have said (in this thread) that one should not get a tattoo if they did not have something in mind that was meaningful, etc. By asking for design ideas, it sounds to me like he doesn't have something meaningful in mind...

That I did and I feel like I should come to your defense a bit here. I was looking for opinions on the subject and did realize that I would get people from both sides of the fence on the subject and that was totally expected. I actually do appreciate you commenting on the subject as I feel that you have the right to share your opinion with me as I opened myself up for it. After all, we do all live in North America (me up here in Canada:wave:) and freedom of speech is one of our greatest gifts.

As you guessed, I am still undecided on whether to get one or not for sure, although I have been leaning towards getting one for a while now. I am actually not that spontaneous (it takes me forever and a day just to decide what to order for dinner when eating out), so me jumping feet first into something I haven't actually thought through probably 100 times over will just never happen. The main reason for the post was just to see if any guys out there actually had a cool Disney-themed tattoo idea that they didn't mind sharing with me.

As for the meaningful part, I left out that I have been going through a rough patch the last few months and the only thing that gets my mind off of everything and brings a smile to my face is thinking of my past and future WDW trips. There are days when I would just love to hop into my car and drive until I hit that big 'Walt Disney World' sign down there. But unfortunately, you just can't do that when you have a wife and kids and job and so on. So WDW has come to represent my happy place when things get hectic and I thought what better way to remember my happy place than to have a constant reminder present with me in my everyday life. Sure, you have pictures and such, but a Disney tattoo would be with me everywhere I go, just like my memories. And as Epcot is, by far, my favourite WDW park, I was hoping someone would have a cool idea that incorporated its logo (old one or new one) that they could share with me. I then just wanted to know which part of the body guys favoured as to give me some kind of idea as to what is considered cool on a guy. And I don't mean as in, "ehhhhh, check me out, I'm cool". I am talking more along the lines as that whole thing in the 80's where if you had your left ear pierced and were a guy, it was acceptable. If you had your left ear pierced though, time to catch the next train to "Wham-s-ville". :hammer:

Mikester71

Original Poster
At the risk of falling victim to the lions myself, I feel compelled to say:

Wow. This web site seems to have broken yet another poster. While I disagree with WDWFigment's original post I don't think it warranted such a ferocious backlash.

Relax.

We are all here just to talk about Disney things and have some fun. A little kindness now and then would be appropriate... in keeping with the overall theme. Let's try to think happy thoughts!!

I agree, as I just tried to explain in my previous post. I opened myself up for, and wanted, to hear from people on both sides of the fence in hopes of helping me make up my mind one way or the other.

Mikester71

Original Poster

See, now that would make a cool tattoo. Not saying either of us have to run out today and get it permanently done, but that is what I was hoping for when I started this thread; some cool ideas and thoughts on the subject just to toss around in case I did decide to get one someday.:sohappy:It is too bad you had to take a pounding on here before coming up with this. :(

Mimi

I know you are looking for advice from men in general but I can only offer my advice as a woman.

If I were a man who wanted a Disney tattoo I would get it where I could conceal it when I needed to; you never know what type of situation will present itself in the future. Number one rule in my opinion.

And that's where my rules stop.

What is the first thing you think of when you think of Disney? What is the first place you see when you think of WDW? There's your tattoo. It doesn't matter what others think of the artwork or symbolism, whether it is too girly, common, fancy or simple. It is your tattoo... your happy thought.

Mikester71

Original Poster
I know you are looking for advice from men in general but I can only offer my advice as a woman.

No, no. Don't get me wrong. I am open to opinions from both sexes for sure. :wave:

If I were a man who wanted a Disney tattoo I would get it where I could conceal it when I needed to; you never know what type of situation will present itself in the future. Number one rule in my opinion.

And that's where my rules stop.
That is why I thought right calf or left forearm. I want to be able to see it, but also be able to conceal it if I have to for whatever reason.:drevil:

What is the first thing you think of when you think of Disney? What is the first place you see when you think of WDW? There's your tattoo. It doesn't matter what others think of the artwork or symbolism, whether it is too girly, common, fancy or simple. It is your tattoo... your happy thought.
I would have to say that the first thing I think of when I think of WDW is Epcot, for sure. I just love all that Epcot represents and find it so peaceful when walking through the World Showcase on a nice sunny morning. I actually just googled 'Epcot logo' to find a cool picture of the old logo and found all the old logos representing all the areas of the park. I think it would be absolutely sweet to start with the main logo and then you could always add the others later if you got the urge (or not). That is what I really was looking for; a cool picture of something that represented Epcot and my happy place all in one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom