Disney Studios to get Lucas-Land?

the-reason14

I'm with you, but there's no movie or franchise that doesn't have SOME non-fans. That's like saying Universal shouldn't invest in a Harry Potter land because some people don't like Harry Potter. The Star Wars movies, though I prefer PIXAR's films, are far more successful in general.

I agree, Im not into Star wars or Indy Jones, but if rides were to show up involving them, Im def. going to try them. It may not be of everyones interests like mine, but like you said these are popular so they will attract none disney fans to MGM.

darthjohnny

that was from The Force net

The last rumor doesn't make sense to me. Although it would be cool for Disney to get the rights to the Star Wars TV series, especially so they can incorporate it in Star Wars Weekend, I would imagine Lucasfilm would still go along with FOX to broadcast the TV show. But who knows. :shrug:

Ausdaddy

The movies are owned by Lucasfilm, but Spielberg plays a major part in their production, and is therefore considered part of the process.

I agree wholeheartedly. The director has creative control over a movie and gets a piece of the financial pie for everything.

The movies are owned by Lucasfilm, but Spielberg plays a major part in their production, and is therefore considered part of the process. Spielberg has the rights for Amblin. Lucas has the rights to Lucasfilm.

This is where I'm murky. I'm not trying to argue, I just find the subject interesting. I don't think Spielberg/Amblin has rights to the character or the first 3 movies. Neither party is mentioned in any of the licensing announcements. Spielberg/Amblin would have to have a copyright logo on anything indiana jones related. He/They don't.

jedimaster1227

How would Sunset & Hollywood Blvds. fit into these 3 areas, or would they make up a fourth?

I apologize (I forgot about that side of the park completely). Hollywood Blvd is basically remaining the same during this transition. Not much to report, really.

Well, we know it couldn't be "Adventureland"

True. And I can promise you Lucasland isn't the title either.

hauntdmansion79

I would love to have a Muppet's themed restaurant. Have screens that make it look like you can see into the kitchen and have the Muppets cooking your food while causing total Mayhem (even have the rats cooking like in Muppet's Take Manhattan). Have animatronic characters as a host/hostess at the door and maybe the Electric Mayhem entertaining you with a dinner show. Also one more attraction with the Muppets would rule Supreme too!

But more on topic.....

I never like it when they overuse a brand. For example I LOVE Finding Nemo, it's one of the best Disney/Pixar films, but I'm not crazy about how it's got a whole pavilion at Epcot and a huge show at Animal Kingdom. With that said, I think if the area that houses Star Tours, Indy Stunt Show, the restaurant by Star Tours, and maybe the ABC studios was turned into a Lucas/Speilberg area all themed to Star Wars and Indie, it would be a pretty sweet corner of the Studios.

erasure fan1

A Lucas/Henson land seems much more likely because between them they have many timeless properties including Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Muppets, as well as fantasy films such as Willow, Labyrinth, and The Dark Crystal (believe it or not these movies have quite a following). So it would definatly make sense to play up the Lucas and Henson aspects of the park to boost attendance.
That could be the big thing to go up against Harry Potter, WILLOW LAND!:lookaroun

I love the lucas area idea and Just having Indiana Jones and starwars is all you need for me. Just add 1 more attraction for each and it will be fine.

kennygman

I'm holding out hope for the Tucker: A Man and His Dream fully working automobile assembly plant. After you pay admission to Studios you get to put in a full 8 hour shift building inferior automobiles.

Or we could all jump over to the Howard the Duck - the ride!
:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

Since1976

As I stated in another post, I don't think disney would use up a huge area to do a Lucas themed area. Not everybody is into Star Wars so for them to dedicate a huge section of the park to it might not appeal to non Star War fans. I've done Star Tours, I will take my kids on it when they are big enough but other than that I am just not interested in Star Wars. If they did a Star Wars themed land, I would not be interested and would rather go to Pixar Place. :)

I think enough people are into STAR WARS (not to mention INDY) to merit a whole land. The great thing about the movies is that they envision an entire universe, through which the Studios could explore the action, the costumes, the comedy, the diverse alien creatures, the planetary landscape, the architecture, the spaceships, the music -- there's pretty much something to pique the interest of anyone no matter how into (or not into) STAR WARS they may be.

Case in point: I enjoyed Fantasyland at MK as a kid immensely, even though I hadn't seen (and didn't, at the time, care to see) *any* of the movies represented there.

jt04

Disney/Henson/Lucas/Pixar

It is understood many people were disapointed with the last 3 SW movies. But to me he is the one person who is similar to Walt Disney in that he had a vision (Star Wars mainly but also IJ) and he created great technological changes and movie making techniques to fulfill his vision and with amazing success. Jim Henson also picked up with a great vision and it can't be denied that he has had a great impact on children's entertainment. The fact that Henson and Lucas created together is not a coincidence. Together they help fill the void that was left after Walt. So it makes perfect sense that they be heavily represented in DHS. And now there is Pixar, which will also be represented. Disney/Henson/Lucas/Pixar. They all absolutely belong in DHS!

Since1976

It is understood many people were disapointed with the last 3 SW movies. But to me he is the one person who is similar to Walt Disney in that he had a vision (Star Wars mainly but also IJ) and he created great technological changes and movie making techniques to fulfill his vision and with amazing success. Jim Henson also picked up with a great vision and it can't be denied that he has had a great impact on children's entertainment. The fact that Henson and Lucas created together is not a coincidence. Together they help fill the void that was left after Walt. So it makes perfect sense that they be heavily represented in DHS. And now there is Pixar, which will also be represented. Disney/Henson/Lucas/Pixar. They all absolutely belong in DHS!

The prequels disappointed a lot of people, but even many so-called "haters" would agree that Lucas saved some face with Episode III. I have a feeling that Indy IV is an attempt to get even more of that good vibe back. That said, I agree that Lucas is very deserving of his own land at the Studios, being a visionary who has not only told great stories, but who has also improved filmmaking techniques in general. Not unlike Walt himself. And let's be honest: not all of uncle Walt's films were sparkling gems either.

WDWFREAK53

this would ruin MGM for me. I have watched some of the Star Wars movies, and have never finished them, too boring. So if this land does happen, MGM will not be the same to me.

Ummm...MGM won't be the same...because it won't be MGM anymore.

Saying that putting in an area themed to Star Wars isn't right because not everybody is into Star Wars would be like saying...Don't put in a Main Street USA because not everybody is into the turn of the century small town feel.

Star Wars isn't the complete land...but it definitely could be...it's one of the largest franchises in history and has enough people that like it to merit an entire land.

Not everything appeals to everybody...but I would say that Indiana Jones and Star Wars have a lot more "likers" than "dislikers."

PanfanAL

I am a little surprised by some of the posts here. I realize not everyone is into Star Wars( I can't understand why not), but I think everyone has to acknowledge what Lucas And ILM have done for the movie business. And unless i am mistaken, if you check the top ten movies of all time 2 or 3 of them are Star Wars movies. If that doesn't merit a land of its own, what are the qualifications? Besides as other posters have said, Lucasfilm LTD, incorporates a lot more than Star Wars. I for one would love to see this be true. I realize everyone has their own opinion, but I honestly believe this would be a hit overall.

erasure fan1

I am a little surprised by some of the posts here. I realize not everyone is into Star Wars( I can't understand why not), but I think everyone has to acknowledge what Lucas And ILM have done for the movie business. And unless i am mistaken, if you check the top ten movies of all time 2 or 3 of them are Star Wars movies. If that doesn't merit a land of its own, what are the qualifications? Besides as other posters have said, Lucasfilm LTD, incorporates a lot more than Star Wars. I for one would love to see this be true. I realize everyone has their own opinion, but I honestly believe this would be a hit overall.
What a lot of people seem to forget is that lucas has a lot to do with disney overall. Remember that pixar was part of lucas film, and who did the CG for all three pirates and narnia? ILM. I think an ILM attraction would be a great addition, something showing how CG work is done (cough**howtheymadetransformers**cough). If you are doing a park based on Hollywood you cant ignore lucas. He has done effects work for some of the biggest movies EVER.

lilphil6487

i am a big fan of starwars and indiana jones, but i do not think that an area themed to lucas would be great because like someone else said not everyone is into that stuff, but i also would not want to see somethin like pixar land because i am tired of pixar movies and would like to see some new movies come out w/ traditional animation like aladdin and stuff. but thats off topic. i would love to see indiana jones adventure at mgm cause the ride at DL is amazing, but that isnt gonna happen. i think we will just have to wait and see what happens

mickeysgal

I have only seen about a half an hour of one of the Star Wars movies and haven't seen one full Indy movie. They are just not my type of movies. However, I ride Star Tours and visit the Indy show every time I visit the studios. I think that as long as the attractions/shows/restaurants are done well, even non-fans will enjoy them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom